    TIA.

    Murph.

    , Nov 17, 2005

  2. wrote:
    >I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >
    > Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    > fix?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Murph.

    Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one reason I did
    not bother with a serious digital camera until a little over a year ago.
    Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to almost zero. I have the 20D
    Canon and it is about the same as film type SLRs. I don't think there is
    anything you can do to make a great difference with your camera, but there
    are a few tricks, like making sure you are not being held up by auto-focus
    for example. Maybe someone with a Rebel XT can help you out there.

    The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Frank ess Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with
    >> it until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a
    >> problem.
    >> Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying
    >> lag
    >> of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    >> time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in
    >> all
    >> shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    >> ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I
    >> have
    >> the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a
    >> possible
    >> fix?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Murph.

    > Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one
    > reason
    > I did not bother with a serious digital camera until a little over a
    > year ago. Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to almost zero.
    > I have the 20D Canon and it is about the same as film type SLRs. I
    > don't think there is anything you can do to make a great difference
    > with your camera, but there are a few tricks, like making sure you
    > are not being held up by auto-focus for example. Maybe someone with
    > a Rebel XT can help you out there.
    > The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.

    I think the plot was: Good changed to not good, within the same
    camera; my experience with the 350DRebXT is that its lag is
    near-indiscriminable from the 20D.

    I'd take the camera to a shop and try other lenses, for a start. After
    a Reset-To-Defaults, if no improvement, that is.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Hazel Hale Guest

    Have you unintentionally set it on RAW capture. The buffer takes ages to clear

    Hazel Hale, Nov 17, 2005
  5. turbo Guest

    Change it to Centre priority focussing only , ie one spot focusing.
    Sometimes that model tries to get all seven in focus which seems to take a
    long time when you are waiting for the shutter to release.

    turbo, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Dirty Harry Guest

    "Hazel Hale" <> wrote in message
    > Have you unintentionally set it on RAW capture. The buffer takes ages to

    clear

    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > > Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > >> Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one reason
    > >> I did not bother with a serious digital camera until a little over a
    > >> year ago. Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to almost zero. I

    have the
    > >> 20D Canon and it is about the same as film type SLRs. I
    > >> don't think there is anything you can do to make a great difference
    > >> with your camera, but there are a few tricks, like making sure you
    > >> are not being held up by auto-focus for example. Maybe someone with
    > >> a Rebel XT can help you out there.
    > >> The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.

    > > I think the plot was: Good changed to not good, within the same camera;

    my
    > > experience with the 350DRebXT is that its lag is near-indiscriminable

    from the 20D.

    > > I'd take the camera to a shop and try other lenses, for a start. After a
    > > Reset-To-Defaults, if no improvement, that is.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Frank ess

    It takes ages to clear but until its full there should be no lag on the
    shots. If it was in raw though after 4 or 5 in a row it would become very
    shlow.

    Dirty Harry, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Frank ess wrote:

    > I think the plot was: Good changed to not good, within the same
    > camera; my experience with the 350DRebXT is that its lag is
    > near-indiscriminable from the 20D.
    >
    > I'd take the camera to a shop and try other lenses, for a start. After
    > a Reset-To-Defaults, if no improvement, that is.

    I think you may be right. My original read lead me to believe that he
    was now doing some photography that needed fast reactions and had not needed
    it before. Re-reading it, I think you are right.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 17, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.

    Murph-

    Someone found that the earlier Rebel 300D used either the Windows or
    MS-DOS operating system. I assume the 350 is similar. I wonder if it
    could have been infected with a virus while connected to your computer?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 17, 2005
  9. <> wrote in message
    >I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.

    If the lag is occurring after a half-press and focus has been locked, there
    is something weird going on with the camera. I assume you have tried
    resetting everything, taking the battery out, another compact flash card,
    etc.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 17, 2005
  10. 223rem Guest

    Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    >>until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.

    > Murph-
    >
    > Someone found that the earlier Rebel 300D used either the Windows or
    > MS-DOS operating system. I assume the 350 is similar. I wonder if it
    > could have been infected with a virus while connected to your computer?

    Yes, that's why my camera runs Linux.

    Just kidding, no digital camera runs Windows or DOS or any other
    operating system.

    223rem, Nov 17, 2005
  11. BJ in Texas Guest

    Fred McKenzie <> wrote:
    || In article
    || <>,
    || wrote:
    ||| I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite
    ||| happy with it until about a week ago when shutter lag
    ||| suddenly became a problem.
    || Murph-
    || Someone found that the earlier Rebel 300D used either the
    || Windows or MS-DOS operating system. I assume the 350 is
    || similar. I wonder if it could have been infected with a
    || virus while connected to your computer?
    || Fred

    ROTFLAMO

    --
    "Letters may be used to construct words, phrases and sentences
    that may be deemed offensive." -- Warning label on children's

    BJ in Texas, Nov 17, 2005
  12. Colin D Guest

    wrote:

    > I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >
    > Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    > fix?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Murph.

    I have the 300D, and lag has never been a problem. Have you tried
    switching off the autofocus and IS? Without haveing to focus, the
    shutter should fire almost immediately - IIRC the lag with a 350D is
    well under 100 milliseconds.

    If it is still slow firing after disabling AF, you need to get it looked
    at.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:13:39 -0500, (Fred McKenzie)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    >> until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.

    >Murph-
    >
    >Someone found that the earlier Rebel 300D used either the Windows or
    >MS-DOS operating system. I assume the 350 is similar. I wonder if it
    >could have been infected with a virus while connected to your computer?
    >
    >Fred

    If it did (which it doesn't), there's no hard drive to store a virus
    on. None will overwrite the firmware, and any writes to the card would
    be very noticeable from the activity light operating.
    Just not something that happens, for many reasons.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 17, 2005
  14. <> wrote in message
    >I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >
    > Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    > fix?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Murph.

    No experience of the Rebel XT, but the Nikon I use has a anti mirror shock
    mode setting that lets the mirror vibration settle before releasing the
    'shutter' and this means there is a slight delay when in this setting. If
    the Rebel has something similar maybe it has been set by accident. Just a
    thought.

    Andrew

    Andrew M Brownhill, Nov 17, 2005
  15. Skip M Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    >> until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    >> Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    >> of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    >> time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    >> shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    >> ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    >> the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    >> fix?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> Murph.

    > Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one reason I
    > did not bother with a serious digital camera until a little over a year
    > ago. Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to almost zero. I have
    > the 20D Canon and it is about the same as film type SLRs. I don't think
    > there is anything you can do to make a great difference with your camera,
    > but there are a few tricks, like making sure you are not being held up by
    > auto-focus for example. Maybe someone with a Rebel XT can help you out
    > there.
    >
    > The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    The Rebel XT is a new camera, newer than the 20D. His point was that it was
    good, now it isn't.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Nov 17, 2005
  16. timeOday Guest

    wrote:
    > I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >
    > Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    > fix?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Murph.

    Turn off the redeye reduction :)

    timeOday, Nov 18, 2005
  17. Skip M wrote:
    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>>I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with
    >>> it until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a
    >>> problem. Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an
    >>> annoying lag of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the
    >>> button and the time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the
    >>> time now, in all shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus
    >>> lock as quickly as ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and
    >>> shutter release. I have the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a
    >>> possible fix?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Murph.

    >> Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one
    >> reason I did not bother with a serious digital camera until a little
    >> over a year ago. Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to
    >> almost zero. I have the 20D Canon and it is about the same as film
    >> type SLRs. I don't think there is anything you can do to make a
    >> great difference with your camera, but there are a few tricks, like
    >> making sure you are not being held up by auto-focus for example. Maybe
    >> someone with a Rebel XT can help you out there.
    >>
    >> The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit
    >>

    > The Rebel XT is a new camera, newer than the 20D. His point was that
    > it was good, now it isn't.

    Live and learn. I did not know they had a new digital Rebel. Thanks.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 18, 2005
  18. <> wrote in message
    > I bought a Rebel XT a few months ago and have been quite happy with it
    > until about a week ago when shutter lag suddenly became a problem.
    > Instead of near-instant shutter release, there is now an annoying lag
    > of about 1/2 to 1 second between the time I push the button and the
    > time the shutter releases. this happens 80% of the time now, in all
    > shooting modes. The camera still acquires focus lock as quickly as
    > ever; the lag occurs between focus lock and shutter release. I have
    > the 17-85mm IS lens.
    >
    > Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any suggestions on a possible
    > fix?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Murph.

    I'd also suggest clearing all custom functions, even if you haven't set
    any. Also check what drive mode you're set to.

    William Oertell, Nov 18, 2005
  19. Skip M Guest

    > Skip M wrote:
    >> "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Most digital cameras suffer from this problem. That is one
    >>> reason I did not bother with a serious digital camera until a little
    >>> over a year ago. Many newer cameras have reduced that delay to
    >>> almost zero. I have the 20D Canon and it is about the same as film
    >>> type SLRs. I don't think there is anything you can do to make a
    >>> great difference with your camera, but there are a few tricks, like
    >>> making sure you are not being held up by auto-focus for example. Maybe
    >>> someone with a Rebel XT can help you out there.
    >>>
    >>> The only real answer is a new camera that has less delay.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Joseph Meehan
    >>>
    >>> Dia duit
    >>>

    >> The Rebel XT is a new camera, newer than the 20D. His point was that
    >> it was good, now it isn't.

    > Live and learn. I did not know they had a new digital Rebel. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Meehan
    >
    > Dia duit

    Yeah, the XT (350D to the rest of the world) is an 8mp body, as opposed to
    the old Rebel (300D) at 6mp.

    Skip M, Nov 18, 2005
  20. Bill Guest

    Skip M wrote:

    >>> The Rebel XT is a new camera, newer than the 20D. His point was that
    >>> it was good, now it isn't.

    >> Live and learn. I did not know they had a new digital Rebel. Thanks.
    >>

    >Yeah, the XT (350D to the rest of the world) is an 8mp body, as opposed to
    >the old Rebel (300D) at 6mp.

    And the extra 2mp isn't even the good stuff...the features list is what
    makes it much better.

    :)

    Bill, Nov 19, 2005