Shutter Lag for AA's Vs. Proprietary

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by the6carrules, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. the6carrules

    the6carrules Guest

    I'm in the market for a new digital camera (currently have a 5 year
    old Kodak DC280). I've narrowed my choices to a handful of various
    sizes/features trying to further narrow that field down. I decided to
    head to the stores to check out how a few of them felt in my hands to
    see if that would remove them from the list. I first stopped at Best
    Buy, not normally one of my favorite stores because of their prices,
    but at least you can put your hands on the merchandise.

    Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
    cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
    Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
    takes the picture). Now this is a particularly important issue for me
    because my current DC280 is really bad with shutter lag and with a 2yr
    old and a 5yr old, I end up missing shots because of this. I don't
    want to spend cash on something that isn't better than what I have.

    So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

    Keep in mind that he kept trying to steer me to the camera he
    purchased the Sony DSC-V1 or a Nikon or Canon and away from all
    others. I asked about the Sony DSC-W1, which is what prompted him to
    tell me about the shutter lag issues with AA batteries and a 10 minute
    diatribe on why the W1, Canon A80, etc.. were horrible cameras. (as
    an aside, it is funny to talk with these people because the circuit
    city guy told me to stay away from Sony and to go with AA batteries
    and that a 1.5" LCD was optimal - everyone has their own opinions I
    guess, but after having a 1.8" on my camera and a 3.5" on my
    camcorder, 1.5 is way too small if you know what I mean)

    Any wisdom anyone can impart will be greaty appreciated.

    Btw, my list is as follows if there are any constructive comments on
    any of these (I've read a number of reviews on each and do realize
    that these are not direct competitors of each other - part of my issue
    is deciding on form factor versus features and what features I'll
    actually use coming from feature-less DC280, anything has more
    features):

    Canon S60
    Sony DSC-W1
    Kodak LS753 (only a slight upgrade in the feature department over my
    current)
    Canon G5 (great pictures, but probably overkill for me on size and
    features)

    Also is there any other camera that I should consider, keeping in mind
    that I want excellent pictures, have to have a sharp/indoor/outdoor
    LCD of at least 1.8", at least a 4MP camera and a form factor of
    something less than 4.5W x 2.5H x 1.6D....so it will fit in my current
    backpack with my Canon Optura 20 camcorder/accessories. Oh ya, money
    is no object on this purchase.....just sold some property so I get a
    camera and whatever I spend, my wife gets to spend that much on
    something in the compressed carbon department.....

    Again, thanks.
    the6carrules, Jul 22, 2004

  2. the6carrules

    nitzsche Guest

    > Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
    > cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
    > Lag.

    This is false. Do you really think electrons move faster with
    proprietary batteries?
    nitzsche, Jul 22, 2004

  3. the6carrules

    Charlie Self Guest

    the6carrules notes:

    >Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
    >cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
    >Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
    >takes the picture). Now this is a particularly important issue for me
    >because my current DC280 is really bad with shutter lag and with a 2yr
    >old and a 5yr old, I end up missing shots because of this. I don't
    >want to spend cash on something that isn't better than what I have.
    >
    >So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

    He's goofy. You've just given me another reason for NEVER asking a question of
    the sales clowns at BB.

    I just sold my Minolta Dimage 7i, which had some shutter lag, and bought a
    Pentax *istD which has almost none. Both use 4 AA batteries.

    Sorry I can't help with your list, but the Best Buy sales guy is not an expert
    on anything but bullshit.

    Charlie Self
    "When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that
    it is his duty." George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra (1901)
    Charlie Self, Jul 22, 2004
  4. the6carrules

    Steve m... Guest

    http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&Product=EX-P600

    No shutter lag. It looks like a nice camera. B&H photo has it in stock.
    Good luck,
    Steve m... (ps. I just like the above camera specs. I have a 300d and
    love it too. If you got $900 laying around then buy one of those instead...
    but for $499 the Casio sounds good.)

    Steve m..., Jul 22, 2004
  5. the6carrules

    nitzsche Guest

    > Steve m... (ps. I just like the above camera specs. I have a 300d and
    > love it too. If you got $900 laying around then buy one of those instead...
    > but for $499 the Casio sounds good.)

    The 300D (which I also own) is under $800 with the kit lens at
    www.buydig.com. It's well worth the extra $300, in opinion ;)
    nitzsche, Jul 22, 2004
  6. the6carrules

    Steve m... Guest

    Wow, $800... I'm almost feeling guilty that I didn't wait now. I love this
    camera.....

    Steve m....

    Steve m..., Jul 22, 2004
  7. the6carrules

    Paul H. Guest

    "the6carrules" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
    > cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
    > Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
    > takes the picture).

    > So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

    He's absolutely right. AA batteries use low-quality electrons purchased on
    the international surplus market; if you have access to a scanning neutrino
    microscope, you'll notice that each electron coming out of every AA cell is
    clearly marked with a red dot.
    Paul H., Jul 22, 2004
  8. heh heh heh

    Arty

    Arty Phacting, Jul 22, 2004
  9. the6carrules

    Mark M Guest

    > Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
    > cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
    > Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
    > takes the picture).

    Absolutely NO RELATION to shutter lag times. The guy should be fired.

    It is possible that he might be idiotically confused with flash recharge
    times, but this still has no relation to whether the battery is proprietary
    or not. There is just no excuse for someone in the camrea department to
    peddle this nonsense.
    Mark M, Jul 23, 2004
  10. the6carrules

    the6carrules Guest

    Thanks all. For the record I didn't go to BB to ask questions, just
    to hold the camera's in my hand, the smart-arse felt the need to spew,
    so I politely listened, while thinking he was full of it.

    But since I'm not a battery expert, wasn't sure if it is was BS. I
    appreciate the help....well except for the smart-arse at the
    end...lol.
    the6carrules, Jul 23, 2004
  11. the6carrules

    Ron Hunter Guest

    the6carrules wrote:

    > Thanks all. For the record I didn't go to BB to ask questions, just
    > to hold the camera's in my hand, the smart-arse felt the need to spew,
    > so I politely listened, while thinking he was full of it.
    >
    > But since I'm not a battery expert, wasn't sure if it is was BS. I
    > appreciate the help....well except for the smart-arse at the
    > end...lol.

    I can't resist correcting these idiots when they come out with something
    like that. It's even worse at the computer counter...
    Ron Hunter, Jul 23, 2004
  12. the6carrules

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings CArules,

    You have done your homework and gotten a mixed bag it appears.

    The batteries that are used do not determine the 'lag' time at all. Rather,
    the issue that I believe you are referring to is before taking the picture,
    and not the processing time after the picture is taken. If that is the case
    then the brief time it takes to flush the CCD is key and relates to the time
    just prior to the actual taking of the picture, the CCD is flushed - cleared
    for lack of a better term - so it is ready to take the exposure of the
    picture you have composed. This is all done in a split second, but there is
    a brief 'lag' when compared to traditional film cameras.

    If this is the issue you refer to, then check the specs on the cameras you
    have chosen for that feature. I will seek out that prep time reference with
    some engineering friends. Once the CCD is flushed, however, you then have
    consider the time it takes to process the image so you can take another.
    For the Kodak LS753 the click to capture speed is 0.7 seconds (wide, preview
    on), 0.8 seconds (wide, preview off). For a shot to shot comparison, the
    LS753 is 1.6 seconds. You can also do a burst mode that works out to be 4
    pictures in 3 seconds.

    Remember, the camera shutter will operate at 1/2 second to 1/1400th second
    the references above the digital issues with preparation, storing in a
    buffer, then processing the data (all done in very short times). You should
    be able to find this information on others as well.

    Talk to you soon, CA, enjoy your choices.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jul 23, 2004