    is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
    taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
    explanation or maybe a link?

    Another Bob, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Another Bob

    Marli Guest

    Because of live preview, the camera has to close the shutter, get the CCD
    ready, the take the photo. It takes time.

    Marli, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Another Bob

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 23:29:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Another Bob
    <> wrote:

    >My Coolpix 775, along with most other low-end(?) digital cameras I know
    >about, has an excruciating two-week delay between pressing the button and
    >getting around to taking the picture. That and the six-month delay in
    >starting up after power-on make this otherwise marvelous camera only
    >marginally useful for capturing rapidly changing events (kids, race cars,
    >fist fights, that kind of thing). Well, enough rating, what I want to know
    >is: "What is going on in there between the button pressing and the picture
    >taking?" Could some of you more technical folks help me out with an
    >explanation or maybe a link?

    Sounds like you are comparing to SLRs. If so you can not, two different
    technologies. Non-slr digitals use the CCD for focus, exposure and white
    balance and this sensor's inherent characteristics do not allow quick
    transfer of this info. There ate things you can do to try and minimize
    this. Set infinity focus, preset white balance, use manual exposure and
    shutter speed settings.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Another Bob

    Another Bob Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:

    > Sounds like you are comparing to SLRs. If so you can not, two different
    > technologies. Non-slr digitals use the CCD for focus, exposure and white
    > balance and this sensor's inherent characteristics do not allow quick
    > transfer of this info. There ate things you can do to try and minimize
    > this. Set infinity focus, preset white balance, use manual exposure and
    > shutter speed settings.

    Indeed, I had not considered that the camera may actually be doing some
    limited digital image processing after the button press and before it takes
    the picture. I guess I would be somewhat amazed at how fast this is
    happening, if waiting for it wasn't so annoying.

    However, it occurs to me that since I usually use it in continuous-focus
    mode (i.e. with the LCD monitor on), it might do these computations in
    advance, at the expense of some battery consumption, maybe. The expensive
    SLR digital cameras, like the Canon D10, for instance, don't seem to have
    this problem.

    I had been comparing it to film SLR cameras, which also do automatic
    focusing and aperture and shutter control. Even my cheapie Vivitar 320Z
    responds apparently instantly. Click- whirr- ready again, in a tenth of a
    second or so, including mechanically advancing the film.

    Another Bob, Jan 10, 2004
  5. "Another Bob" <> wrote in message

    > I had been comparing it to film SLR cameras, which also do automatic
    > focusing and aperture and shutter control. Even my cheapie Vivitar 320Z
    > responds apparently instantly. Click- whirr- ready again, in a tenth of a
    > second or so, including mechanically advancing the film.

    So do digital SLR's. Except for the "whirr" part...

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Another Bob

    Bill Guest

    There are differences in the lag time between different makes and models.
    Not all digital cameras have long startup times, either. There are a couple
    of websites wich I have looked at that list startup times, shutter lag,
    shot-to-shot recycle time and continuous shooting speed. I looked quickly
    just now but can't find them, and I don't have time to look further tonight.
    I'm sure a Yahoo! or Google search will find them.

    I have a Fuji Finepix S602, and it's very fast in all the above areas. Maybe
    because one design feature of their Super CCD is pixel coupling, which
    allows very fast data transfer. It's also what allows this camera to take
    movies at full VGA size (640x480) at 30 frames per second. No other digital
    still camera can do that.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Another Bob

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <oxMLb.26284$ti2.18332@lakeread03>, "Bill" <>
    writes:

    > It's also what allows this camera to take
    >movies at full VGA size (640x480) at 30 frames per second. No other digital
    >still camera can do that.

    Olympus C 4040Z does it just fine thank you :)

    Shame is, it only does it for 32 seconds with sound, and 36 seconds without.

    Azzz1588, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Another Bob

    Bill Guest

    Well, unless both Steve's Digicams and www.preview.com are both wrong, then
    it doesn't. According to both sites, the C4040 can only do movies at QVGA
    (320x240) or smaller size (160x120). Furthermore, they say it will only do
    this at 15 frames per second.

    Bill

    "Azzz1588" <> wrote in message
    > In article <oxMLb.26284$ti2.18332@lakeread03>, "Bill"