    without this delay? It's not a problem I was expecting.

    TIA for any advice

    Michael
    Michael Wright, Dec 21, 2003

  2. On 2003-12-21, Michael Wright <> wrote:
    > Do I have to get a DSLR to be sure that if I miss the decisive
    > moment, it is my fault, or are there more affordable cameras
    > without this delay? It's not a problem I was expecting.

    I tried the Minolta S400 which supposedly is fast with < 0.2s
    delay. The Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel for americans)feels way
    better and faster, but is more expensive.

    Digicams has the autofocus inside the lens (apart from Minolta S400
    which also has external AF sensor). So you do not give the AF any
    chance to work before before half-pressing shutter.

    Shutter lag will almost disappear in consumer cams within 2 years,
    given the camera is focused. All it takes from pressing the
    button is just clearing the CCD.

    You might now need DSLR, a Minolta A1 might be enough, og the new
    Sony 828.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Michael Wright

    Bill Guest

    My Fuji S602 has almost no shutter lag. Not couniting autofocus time of
    course, but that's pretty fast too. Or I can use manual focus and be ready
    for the shot.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Michael Wright wrote:

    > I used to do a lot of film photography (mostly with M Leicas).
    > After a decade without taking a picture, I thought I'd try again
    > with a little 3MB point-and-shoot (Olympus 350). The thing that
    > gets to me is that it is point, wait, wait and shoot. I guess I
    > could take up first pressure on the shutter release and
    > pre-focus, but I'd rather focus manually and have real control
    > over the moment of exposure.
    >
    > Do I have to get a DSLR to be sure that if I miss the decisive
    > moment, it is my fault, or are there more affordable cameras
    > without this delay? It's not a problem I was expecting.

    I'm not aware of a P&S on the market that has a lag similar
    to 35mm film cameras. You need to stick with the SLRs to
    avoid significant lag. The Canon and Nikon DSLRs all work
    quite well, except don't get a D60 now that the 10D and
    D-rebel are out.

    Roger
    Images and digital info at:
    http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 21, 2003
  5. Michael Wright

    Samuel Paik Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote:
    > I'm not aware of a P&S on the market that has a lag similar
    > to 35mm film cameras. You need to stick with the SLRs to
    > avoid significant lag. The Canon and Nikon DSLRs all work
    > quite well, except don't get a D60 now that the 10D and
    > D-rebel are out.

    There are some fixed-focus digital cameras.
    Samuel Paik, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Michael Wright

    Bill Guest

    Roger,
    Did you read my reply to the orginal post?
    Bill

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Bill, Dec 21, 2003

    Bill wrote:
    > My Fuji S602 has almost no shutter lag. Not couniting autofocus time of
    > course, but that's pretty fast too. Or I can use manual focus and be ready
    > for the shot.

    Yes. But modern cameras (even SLRs) have very poor focusing
    screens, so manual focus is usually not very accurate at best.
    For older people, or people with eye problems, like astigmatism,
    manual focus will only mean out of focus most of the time.
    In many situations, like children or pets at play, autofocus
    is critical (especially with the poor visual focusing screens).
    For real action (wildlife, sports) fast autofocus is mandatory.
    One really wants a camera that will focus fast, determine the
    exposure and aperture and trip the shutter in as little time
    as possible. A value near 0.1 second is great. A half, one, even
    two seconds seems common. In standard tests, what is the D602?

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 21, 2003
  8. Michael Wright

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Yes. But modern cameras (even SLRs) have very poor focusing
    > screens, so manual focus is usually not very accurate at best.
    > For older people, or people with eye problems, like astigmatism,
    > manual focus will only mean out of focus most of the time.
    > In many situations, like children or pets at play, autofocus
    > is critical (especially with the poor visual focusing screens).
    > For real action (wildlife, sports) fast autofocus is mandatory.
    > One really wants a camera that will focus fast, determine the
    > exposure and aperture and trip the shutter in as little time
    > as possible. A value near 0.1 second is great. A half, one, even
    > two seconds seems common. In standard tests, what is the D602?
    >
    > Roger

    Depends on the camera Roger. There are many different screens available for
    the Nikon's.. from the F to F4. Very easily changed. Diopters for the view
    finder as well. But you know that .

    Jim

    Jim Waggener, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Jim Waggener wrote:

    > > Yes. But modern cameras (even SLRs) have very poor focusing
    > > screens, so manual focus is usually not very accurate at best.
    > > For older people, or people with eye problems, like astigmatism,
    > > manual focus will only mean out of focus most of the time.
    > > In many situations, like children or pets at play, autofocus
    > > is critical (especially with the poor visual focusing screens).
    > > For real action (wildlife, sports) fast autofocus is mandatory.
    > > One really wants a camera that will focus fast, determine the
    > > exposure and aperture and trip the shutter in as little time
    > > as possible. A value near 0.1 second is great. A half, one, even
    > > two seconds seems common. In standard tests, what is the D602?
    > >
    > > Roger

    > Depends on the camera Roger. There are many different screens available for
    > the Nikon's.. from the F to F4. Very easily changed. Diopters for the view
    > finder as well. But you know that .

    I'm not sure about modern Nikons, but while in many Canon EOS film
    cameras you could change screens, in the Canon 10D, D10, d-rebel,
    you can't (I'mm 99% sure--someone correct me if this is wrong).
    I know of no P&S cameras where you can change the focusing screen
    (at least officially--one might be able to hack it, but I generally
    don't use a band saw on my cameras!).

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 21, 2003
  10. Michael Wright

    Bill Guest

    Well it's the S602 (not D602)...Well for those with vision problems there is
    a very useable diopter on the S602. And although I don't know what the test
    speeds are, I would suggest that for wildlife and/or sports, etc. one should
    use the continuous shooting mode. That way the camera need only focus for
    the first shot. Again, the S602 is one of the fastest cameras in this mode.
    Because of Fuji's unique CCD architecture, the chip allows the image data to
    be read very quickly. (Also why this is one of the few still cams able to do
    VGA size movies (640x480) at 30 fps.). It also has a unique continuous
    shooting mode that lets you hold down the shutter button to keep shooting
    until you get the shot you want. Then let go of the shutter button and the
    last 5 frames are saved to memory card.

    Bill, Dec 26, 2003