    same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
    amy ideas?
    Simon
    Sierra, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Sierra

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    "Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
    news:j4sWb.3511$...
    > Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
    > shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
    > press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
    > same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
    > amy ideas?
    > Simon

    If i remember right this one is to do with API and the way win XP deals with
    shuting down and i bet in the other version of win you used it used to shut
    off??

    the API was sumthing to do with the BIOS not suporting it or it not being
    enabled or properly congiured or summit along those lines
    chip_y2kuk, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Sierra

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/
    Harrison, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Sierra

    Craven Birds Guest

    <Harrison> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:56:52 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when

    it
    > >> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
    > >> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running

    the
    > >> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
    > >> amy ideas?
    > >> Simon
    > >>

    > >If i remember right this one is to do with API and the way win XP deals

    with
    > >shuting down and i bet in the other version of win you used it used to

    shut
    > >off??
    > >
    > >the API was sumthing to do with the BIOS not suporting it or it not being
    > >enabled or properly congiured or summit along those lines

    > http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

    Ouch!
    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds
    Craven Birds, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Sierra

    JM Guest

    Sierra wrote:

    > Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
    > shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
    > press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
    > same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
    > amy ideas?
    > Simon

    I am seeing the same behavior on one of my systems.
    However, it is my oldest motherboard that is most probably
    the cause of it. The motherboard is from 1993 and used to
    run Win 3.1 when the whole system arrived on my doorstep
    in 1993. If you want to research that motherboard of your
    dad's you might find why or if it can be tweaked in the bios
    to fix your annoyance. Also check www.annoyances.org for
    clues as well. Here are search results at that site for
    "it is now safe to shut"

    http://tinyurl.com/2jffp

    If you find the answer there (TINT), post it back here
    (TINH). (^:

    JM

    --
    "Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear
    kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor
    JM, Feb 11, 2004
  6. Sierra

    ICee Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903
    ICee, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Sierra

    Gordon Guest

    have you tried running through the troubleshooter? so obvious im sure you
    have.
    Gordon

    Gordon, Feb 11, 2004