    since if user click by mistake it takes a few minutes to get it back.

    Your help is greate appreciated,

    iccsi
    iccsi, Nov 24, 2011

  2. iccsi

    Rob Guest

    On 24/11/2011 20:18, iccsi wrote:
    > Windows 7 shutdown right away once I click on shutdown.
    > The only thing is even I click by mistake then it is not like Windows
    > XP to ask me to confirm.
    > I just wonder is it possible to let Windows 7 to confirm shutdown,
    > since if user click by mistake it takes a few minutes to get it back.
    >

    > Your help is greate appreciated,
    >

    > iccsi

    There is no real way to make 7 confirm shutdown exactly like XP does.
    One option is to change the shutdown button action to 'lock' the computer
    instead of shutting it down (which doesn't close all of your running
    programs, so you can simply unlock if you hit shutdown it by mistake), and
    use Alt-F4 when the desktop is in focus to do an actual shutdown (or just
    press the physical power button on the PC.)
    Right-click the power button and select properties to change the default
    action.
    There are other options, such as enabling the shutdown event tracker using
    local group policy (this then requires you to enter a reason for shutting
    down into a dialog box - any text will do and you can cancel, which is
    what you want), but I've found changing the default action to 'lock' works
    best for me.
    See here if you prefer to enable the shutdown event tracker:
    HTH
    --
    Rob
    Rob, Nov 25, 2011

  3. iccsi

    Steve Foster Guest

    iccsi wrote:

    > Windows 7 shutdown right away once I click on shutdown.
    > The only thing is even I click by mistake then it is not like Windows
    > XP to ask me to confirm.
    > I just wonder is it possible to let Windows 7 to confirm shutdown,
    > since if user click by mistake it takes a few minutes to get it back.

    Two options:

    a) use ALT-F4 from the desktop ([optionally] disable the Shut Down
    button to encourage this method).
    b) enable the Shutdown Event Tracker (requires users to record _why_
    they're shutting down).

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-enable-the-shutdown-event-tracker-in-windows-7

    --
    Steve Foster
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:
    Steve Foster, Nov 25, 2011
  4. On Nov 24, 8:18 pm, iccsi <> wrote:
    > Windows 7 shutdown right away once I click on shutdown.
    > The only thing is even I click by mistake then it is not like Windows
    > XP to ask me to confirm.
    > I just wonder is it possible to let Windows 7 to confirm shutdown,
    > since if user click by mistake it takes a few minutes to get it back.
    >
    > Your help is greate appreciated,

    I guess you could substitute your own program to be /your/ routine
    lock / shutdown / sleep / hibernate tool, that prompts you are-you-
    sure before proceeding. That's about as good as what has already been
    suggested using standard programs.

    I can testify it's possible to type the word "shutdown" into Linux
    when it is not what you meant to do, so it's tricky. Perhaps some
    more personally meaningful words would be effective, such as "would
    you excuse me?" to lock, "die you ********" to shut down.

    In one science fiction story, I forget which, a student had configured
    his portable computer to require a password to shut down, specifically
    so that when the university football team took it into their heads to
    run into the library shouting "Shutdown No Save!" into everyone's
    device, they didn't get him.

    Maybe we should go back to having starter keys for PCs? I mean the
    key-goes-into-a-lock-hole kind?
    Robert Carnegie, Nov 26, 2011
  5. iccsi

    BullDawg Guest

    Try this gadget. It will ask you to confirm shutdown, restart, etc.

    http://buildagadget.com/wsg-system-control/

    It has other nice features also.

    --

    BullDawg