    Has anyone had this problem, and do you know how to resolve it? Thanks.
    --
    Shirley
    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Could you check the Event Viewer to see if there are any error messages
    associated with this error on shutdown? (Start > Control Panel >
    Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Feb 9, 2006

  3. Sounds similar to my problem.

    Do you have Avast anti virus software?

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Yes, I do have Avast anti virus software. Is that what is causing it? Is
    there anything you can do to resolve it?
    --
    Shirley

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Avast has a patch that might fix it. Get it here.

    http://cat.asw.cz/~vlk/nforce4/x64/AavmKer4.sys

    Save it to your Desktop then copy the file to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

    Overwrite the existing file and then restart the pc.

    I don't know if it works yet, I just started mine up and it needs to run for
    a while before the issue would happen.

    You could test if it is Avast or not by stopping Avast and then shutting
    down. Right click the "A" icon in the system tray and click Stop On-Access
    Protection. If it shuts down OK then Avast is most likely the problem.

    Hope this works!

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Upgrade to the latest version 4.6 or shutdown the applet before shutting
    down Windows. (Never knew it also caused restarts)

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 10, 2006
  7. Me too - never heard of this!

    (and Shirley, instead of manually installing the path, if that is what you
    attempt, there is an update option in the menu - same procedure, right
    click, then look for item 'updating' - much easier!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 10, 2006
  8. Were you informed that the new version is known to fix this issue?

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 10, 2006
  9. The patch seems to have done the trick for me. Although I have heard others
    say it didn't work for them.

    As for stopping the app before shutdown, I don't consider that a fix. The
    app should work.

    How about you Shirley? Did it work?

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 10, 2006
  10. I went to this link and downloaded the patch but it is not an executable
    file; therefore, I was not able to open it or install it. It is a sys type
    file, and I received a warning when I tried to open it. I'm not very good
    with computers so bear with me here.
    --
    Shirley

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=, Feb 10, 2006
  11. No, it won't install like that, its a single file instead of an "installer".
    No problem, try this.

    Open Windows Explorer by double clicking on the My Computer icon.
    Double click the C:\ drive icon
    Double click the Windows folder.
    Double click the System32 folder.
    Double click the Drivers folder.
    Then drag and drop the file from your Desktop into the Drivers folder.
    It should ask you if you want to Overwrite the existing file. Select Yes
    then restart the computer.

    That's it. The patch is installed. Hopefully it will solve your problem. So
    far it is working for me.

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 10, 2006
  12. I was able to install the patch; unfortunately it didn't correct the problem.
    I checked and I have version 4.6 already, and I also tried shutting down the
    application before I shut down windows. Nothing is working. It stills
    restarts automatically. Thanks for your help though.
    --
    Shirley

    =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=, Feb 11, 2006
  13. After all is said and done, there are numerous factors concerned with the
    shutdown problem. Never had Avast, and still had the problem, though
    intermittently. If you want to churn your brain, figure this out: after I
    installed vmware the problem disappeared, and regardless of whatever I do, it
    shutsdown routinely inspite of attempts to corrupt x64 and associated
    programs.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=, Feb 12, 2006
  14. Hi Shirley,

    Just thought I'd let you know. Now my shutdown problem is back. Oh well.

    Keep watching here in case someone figures this out.

    KEN

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 13, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Getting old isn't it. But since this problem has been around since Win98, I
    wouldn't bet on a quick fix.

    John Barnes, Feb 14, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    Guest

    Hi,

    I had the same problem also I recently had a computer built and it gots
    winxp 64 on it also and it kept on randomally restaring. It was not a
    software problem though it was a hardware problem. My motherboard was
    defective kept on restaring and giving me errors. So the company fixed
    it for me and now it works great. So maybe instead of a software
    problem maybe there is something wrong with your mother board?
    , Feb 14, 2006
  17. I was running all the same hardware under XP32 and never had a problem.

    In my case, I'm pretty sure its the Avast program.

    Ken

    =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=, Feb 14, 2006
  18. =?Utf-8?B?U2hpcmxleQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You are the first one to report a restart. So far only fails to shut down
    completely. The easiest way to check, obviously, would be to uninstall
    Avast.

    John Barnes, Feb 14, 2006