    should check first?
    I'm using XP Pro SP2 on an AMD XP2600 w/1.5GB RAM. All drivers are current.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    poidog, Apr 19, 2005

  2. poidog wrote:
    > Lately I've had occassional problems with games suddenly crashing to a
    > shutdown. The display goes to black, there is a beep similar sounding to a
    > modem connecting and then the power goes off. Can anybody suggest what I
    > should check first?
    > I'm using XP Pro SP2 on an AMD XP2600 w/1.5GB RAM. All drivers are current.
    > Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    What's the video card? What games?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 19, 2005

  3. poidog

    un8bf Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:22:56 GMT, "poidog" <>
    wrote:

    >Lately I've had occassional problems with games suddenly crashing to a
    >shutdown. The display goes to black, there is a beep similar sounding to a
    >modem connecting and then the power goes off. Can anybody suggest what I
    >should check first?
    >I'm using XP Pro SP2 on an AMD XP2600 w/1.5GB RAM. All drivers are current.
    >Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Two places I always check are "Problem Devices" and the "Device
    Manager".

    Problem Devices can be accessed via Start>Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools>System Information>Components>Problem Devices

    Your Device Manager can be accessed via Start>Control
    Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager.

    In Device Manager expand each category and look for any items marked
    with a black exclamation mark icon in a yellow triangle. That
    indicates a problem with the item. Right click the item, select
    Properties, and there should be a Troubleshoot button you can select
    to hopefully correct the problem.

    Good luck.

    un8bf, Apr 19, 2005
  4. poidog

    AJ Guest

    This could be many different things causing this like g/card drivers, virus
    etc. Try a few of these steps and see how you get on...

    1) Go into device manager and made sure there are no exclamation marks (!)
    by any of the devices listed. You should go through each tab in Device
    Manager.

    2) Check to see your g/card drivers are the most up to date ones. If you
    have an Nvidia card go to http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

    If you have done the above steps you should run a virus scan. I do not
    understand why so many people still do not use any anti virus software.
    Fair enough it may seem pricey, but at the end of the day how much did you
    spend on your PC? That can be screwed over with just 1 deadly virus, and
    believe me there are lots of them out there. To see more info on Anti Virus
    Software, i would recommend Norton Anti Virus as you get the Virus scan AND
    firewall in one... http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

    If you have run the following it could be...
    an overheating problem? Have you installed a newer graphics card on your
    machine or is this a new game that you have recently purchased? This
    depends on how new your PC is as to what you can do to find out or even fix
    the problem. If you do not have any temperature measuring devices for your
    motherboard, graphics card, or the inside of the tower you will simply have
    to go by feel, but again if youer not sure book the PC into to your local PC
    store. It may require an additional fan to be installed.

    Manually checking
    ===============
    NOT RECOMMENDED - I ADVICE TO BOOK YOUR PC INTO A CLINIC FOR A PROFESSIONAL
    INSPECTION OF THE RUNNING TEMPERATURE WHEN PLAYING GAMES... THERE IS NO
    POINT LEAVING YOUR SYSTEM ON ALL DAY AS IT WILL SIMPLY NOT OVERHEAT, IT HAS
    TO BE CHALLENGING THE SYSTEMS PERFORMANCE SO MUST BE PLAYING A GAME.

    AJ, Apr 19, 2005
  5. poidog

    poidog Guest

    Everything checks out in the Device Manager and the Problem Devices.

    The video card is a ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB and was original equipment. The
    only change to the machine was upgrading the RAM from 512MB to 1.5G and it
    was purchased from the manufacturer to be sure it would match.

    My drivers are current and it's also had a recent virus scans and spyware
    sweeps. I am using Norton AV in conjunction with AntiVir PersonalEdition
    Classic, Spy Sweeper and Zone Alarm firewall. This all leads me to check the
    overheating problem. Do you know of any free tools that can be used to check
    the temp of different components? Possibly in the BIOS?

    poidog, Apr 19, 2005
  6. poidog wrote:

    > Lately I've had occassional problems with games suddenly crashing to a
    > shutdown. The display goes to black, there is a beep similar sounding to a
    > modem connecting and then the power goes off. Can anybody suggest what I
    > should check first?
    > I'm using XP Pro SP2 on an AMD XP2600 w/1.5GB RAM. All drivers are
    > current. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Looks much like some emergency shutdown due to overheating the cpu/the gpu.
    You know, these games beat the hell out of your box. Have you tried to boil
    eggs on top of your box while gaming? ;-)
    More seriously: check heat dissipation, fans, dust bunnies. Install a cpu
    monitoring program. Get a better heatsink than the boxed one that comes
    with the processor.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 19, 2005
  7. poidog wrote:

    > Everything checks out in the Device Manager and the Problem Devices.
    >
    > The video card is a ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB and was original equipment.
    > The only change to the machine was upgrading the RAM from 512MB to 1.5G
    > and it was purchased from the manufacturer to be sure it would match.
    >
    > My drivers are current and it's also had a recent virus scans and spyware
    > sweeps. I am using Norton AV in conjunction with AntiVir PersonalEdition
    > Classic, Spy Sweeper and Zone Alarm firewall. This all leads me to check
    > the overheating problem. Do you know of any free tools that can be used to
    > check the temp of different components? Possibly in the BIOS?

    I don't know the type of your mainboard or the bios, but most recent boards
    have some "hardware monitor" section. You will have to play until the
    system shuts down, then restart into bios (most of the time it's done by
    pressing DEL or ctrl-alt-esc or F2 or F10 at startup time) and quickly
    watch that section. Or install a mainboard monitor program (MBM5 comes to
    my mind, google will help you) which can be setup to give an alarm and pop
    up in the foreground (possibly destroying your games screen) at given
    thresholds. However, the simplest solution would be to take off the left
    side of your pc cover and watch the cpu fan, occasionally touch it when
    gaming. If it's getting seriously hot you have to take measures against
    that. Keep in mind, not only the cpu may overheat, there are voltage
    regulators near it, with capacitors. Watch or let watch for broken or bent
    bottom plates, like in http://www.badcaps.net/

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 20, 2005
  8. Walter Mautner wrote:

    > thresholds. However, the simplest solution would be to take off the left
    > side of your pc cover and watch the cpu fan, occasionally touch it when

    oh ... of course I mean the cpu heatsink (to touch) ;-)

    Forgive me
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Apr 20, 2005