    large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing happens.
    When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
    are closed before shutting down.
    Carole & Phil Silverman, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Carole & Phil Silverman

    meerkat Guest

    "Carole & Phil Silverman" <> wrote in message
    > My Pentium 3, 98SE OS won't shut down properly(Start/Shut down/Shut
    > down/ok). I have to manually shut down in which case the screen shows a
    > large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing
    > happens.
    > When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
    > are closed before shutting down.

    Hi C&P try here...
    http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.php
    meerkat, Jun 5, 2007

  3. Carole & Phil Silverman

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:52:56 -0700, Carole & Phil Silverman wrote:

    >My Pentium 3, 98SE OS won't shut down properly(Start/Shut down/Shut
    >down/ok). I have to manually shut down in which case the screen shows a
    >large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing happens.
    >When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
    >are closed before shutting down.

    98 / 98SE ?

    Try,

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,430,000 for
    windows 98 shutdown
    .. (0.12 seconds)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp
    Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp
    Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
    Posted 22 May 00
    This update resolves a shutdown issue in Windows 98 Second Edition,
    where Windows may stop responding if there are a significant number of
    mapped network drives on your computer. The larger the number of drives
    that are mapped, the more likely the problem may occur.

    Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition
    For additional information about troubleshooting Windows 98 shutdown ...
    Microsoft has released the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
    that ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096 - Similar pages

    How to troubleshoot Windows 98 shutdown problems
    This article describes how to troubleshoot problems that may occur when
    you attempt to shut down and restart your computer. Note that this
    information is ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/202633 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Windows 98 Shutdown Home
    Some DCI computers running Windows 98 have experienced shutdown
    problems. This is not a "Dell" problem or a "DCI" problem, but a more
    general Windows 98 ...
    www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/dci/98shutdn.html - 15k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    Windows 98 Troubleshooting: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown ...
    Windows 98 Troubleshooting: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Problems
    - HelpWithWindows.com.
    www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/troub-51.shtml - 21k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Windows 98 SE Shutdown Troubleshooter
    There is a widespread shutdown bug with WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION. The
    problem does not affect a majority, or even significant minority, ...
    www.aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.php - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

    Smart Computing Article - Windows 98 Shutdown Problems
    Smart Computing Article - Windows 98 Shutdown Problems.
    www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/s1511/08s11/08s11.asp&guid=
    - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

    Windows 95/98 Shutdown problem
    c) Check Microsoft Knowledge base using "windows 98 shut down" as search
    text. The following URL gives more specific information and instructions
    on this ...
    http://8help.osu.edu/33997.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

    You get the idea.

    Me