    I have not as far as I know changed any settings
    Running Win ME
    2000 Packard Bell

    Zebud, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Zebud

    °Mike° Guest

    Do you have 'Wake On Lan' (WOL) or 'Wake On Modem' (WOM)
    enabled in the BIOS?

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:30:20 GMT, in
    <gK4Ac.770322$oR5.594753@pd7tw3no>
    Zebud scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Zebud

    J M Guest

    In article <gK4Ac.770322$oR5.594753@pd7tw3no>, Zebud
    <> wrote:

    > I have recently started having a problem when I shut down my comp , The
    > f***ing thing boots back up as soon as I turn my back.Does anyone have any
    > ideas?

    Do you have all the basic protective software loaded?
    Every Windows user MUST have some basic protection:
    firewall (like Zone Alarm or Outpost)
    anti-spyware (like Ad-Aware or SpyBot, frequently updated)
    anti-virus (AVG, and commercial package, frequently updated)

    If not, why not?

    > I have not as far as I know changed any settings

    Oh, but you're using Outlook Express, so YOU don't actually make those
    decisions. You have to assume that OE has done at least a few things to
    screw your computer up.

    J M, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Zebud

    Zebud Guest

    In article <gK4Ac.770322$oR5.594753@pd7tw3no>, "J M"
    <> scrawled

    > > I have recently started having a problem when I shut down my comp , The
    > > f***ing thing boots back up as soon as I turn my back.Does anyone have

    any
    > > ideas?

    > Do you have all the basic protective software loaded?

    "snip"

    Yes I do have all the basic protective software and before you ask yes I
    update it all daily

    > > I have not as far as I know changed any settings

    > Oh, but you're using Outlook Express, so YOU don't actually make those
    > decisions. You have to assume that OE has done at least a few things to
    > screw your computer up.

    I ass-u-me nothing........

    Zebud, Jun 17, 2004
  5. Zebud

    Zebud Guest

    "Zebud" <> wrote in message
    .....whoops sorry forgot a snip.

    Zebud, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Zebud

    Guest Guest

    Make sure when shutting down: that you select the shut down and not restart.

    Have a Blessed day... Karen

    Guest, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Zebud

    Guest Guest

    When shutting down your PC make sure that you select the shut down request
    and not the restart connections.
    Good Luck...and have a blessed day ... Karen

    Guest, Jun 17, 2004
  8. Zebud

    Zebud Guest

    That is definitely not the problem here, I have checked everything I can
    think of but to no avail.

    Zebud, Jun 17, 2004
  9. Zebud

    reid decker Guest

    I have my machine on a surge protector. I flip it off when I shut
    down. It can't reboot.

    reid decker, Jun 18, 2004
  10. Zebud

    Zebud Guest

    yes that is what I have been doing but it doesnt really solve the original
    problem

    Zebud, Jun 18, 2004
  11. Zebud

    w_tom Guest

    There was one update from Microsoft that changed that
    shutdown software on Win 9x machines. Had to learn which
    files had been touched. Discovered that by restoring the
    original file CONFIGMG.VXD returned that Win 98 machine's
    shutdown procedure. There are also a long list of shutdown
    fixes for Win 98/ME if by doing simple Googling. Don't keep
    that information around anymore since I never liked the so
    unreliable Win 98/ME. Back then and earlier had stability and
    faster hardware by running Windows NT.

    w_tom, Jun 19, 2004