shutdown hangs in XP64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Ran bios update to F6 and problem fixed.....for this mobo anyway.
    Hope this helps

    =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=, Sep 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Lots of people have this problem due to the presence of Avast! It works
    fine on my notebook (zv5000z) but hung every time on my desktop (Asus
    K8N-DL) Switching to eTrust solved the problem...

    M. Murcek, Sep 7, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Avast causes the shutdown problem on some machines. Seems like it is
    getting more frequent. Best bet to uninstall it and if the problem goes
    away, buy one of the many that have been recommended here.

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2005
  5. You can try the alternatives: NOD32, eTrust 7.1, McAfee, or Norton AV
    Corporate Edition 10
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Yes, when Avast is disabled prior to shutdown then it proceeds correctly.

    Is there a way to automate closing out Avast when shutdown is selected?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=, Sep 7, 2005
  7. Spoke too soon, work on two shutdowns, but now same problem. Shutdown dosnt
    hangup anymore but tower will not auto power off, monitor goes black and in
    standby blinking but tower remains powered up. Think avast is the problem
    with this also?

    =?Utf-8?B?Wm9mbzYx?=, Sep 7, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you try what CAT64 is doing and see. I would check to see if your
    power off settings got changed some way.

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2005
  9. sysinternal offers great software to analyse such a problem.
    (process explorer and autoruns for example)

    =?Utf-8?B?RXJuc3Q=?=, Sep 7, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Based on some 15 years of using Windows to a pretty deep level, when
    shutdown hangups occur, it has been my experience that it usually ends up
    being unstable hardware or peripherals and/or their associated drivers that
    cause it...

    This newly built x64 system of mine has now been running 36 days non-stop
    since it was built and has not once exhibited ANY form of instability at
    all. Avast! AV (Pro version I bought straight off) was installed on it on
    day 5 and it has been totally stable also; as have all the other
    applications I have thrown at the machine.

    As has been said elsewhere, I did a LOT of research and chose ALL my
    hardware VERY carefully and I feel it has paid big dividends in the end.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Sure, but I also chose my hardware *very* carefully, and it apperars that
    Avast! *does* cause shutdown hangups on my x64 system, like it does for many
    other x64 users, who certainly chose their hardware very carefully, too.

    Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX], Sep 7, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Ok but how do you know specifically that it is Avast! causing it? (i.e. what
    is in the event log etc etc)

    "Jean-Baptiste Faure [NNBXX]" <> wrote in
    message news:uoyZXW$...

    Colin Nowell, Sep 7, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't have shutdown problems with it either, but all you have to do is go
    over to the Avast site and go the discussion groups and you will find this
    has been a consistent problem with users since at least Windows 98.

    John Barnes, Sep 8, 2005
  14. Thanks for the info - http://www.sysinternals.com/
    I'll look into it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0FUNjQ=?=, Sep 8, 2005