    is related to one of the Windows Update patches. I ran Windows update right
    after I completed install on the desktop, so I have no means to compare one
    to the other. Anybody else seeing this? Any ideas?

    M. Murcek, Jun 26, 2005

  2. M. Murcek

    NNBXX Guest

    Have you Avast antivirus installed ? My x64 machine used to do the same,
    until I removed Avast and replaced it by NOD32. Now it no longer hangs at
    the "Windows is shutting down" phase. Just a suggestion...

    NNBXX, Jun 26, 2005

  3. M. Murcek

    NNBXX Guest

    Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks !

    NNBXX, Jun 28, 2005
  4. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    I am running avast! on both the desktop and notebook, and the hangup during
    shutdown is intermittant. When I get a chance, I'll uninstall on one
    machine to compare the behavior (though that will still be an apples and
    oranges thing) If you check my other post regarding UPS activity and
    freezing during going to standby, it appears to me that some of these things
    are just more of the same. I can think of no version of Windows that does
    not sometimes get to "Windows is shutting down" without just hanging up.

    M. Murcek, Jun 28, 2005
  5. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree. I have had the problem with every version of Windows. As long as
    it is not constant it probably is not something which is resident all of the
    time, like anti-virus and is something that was used that session only not
    closing properly.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005
  6. M. Murcek

    NNBXX Guest

    Don't totally agree with you. Since I removed avast!, my system no longer
    hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" phase AT ALL, whereas when my
    machine was running avast! antivirus, the problem occured EVERY TIME Windows
    was shutting down, NOT only from time to time.

    uzW5HJ$...

    NNBXX, Jun 28, 2005
  7. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Well, I' not hanging every time, so I think John may have it right. Every
    sequence of program, utility and services invocations is unique, and some
    just don't play nice together. Also, Windows always comes back fine from
    being powered off from the front panel switch, so it's more annoyance than
    destructive misadventure.

    M. Murcek, Jun 28, 2005
  8. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    Nicely put. NNBXX probably had a unique conflict with some other driver.
    Still worth trying. Remember the time wasted when 98 hung and always went
    thru scandisk every time it was restarted after a hard shutdown.

    John Barnes, Jun 28, 2005
  9. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    At least, Win98 (usually) came back after the DOS mode scandisk. It would
    be nice if there was a shutdown counterpart to bootmon that could be used to
    diagnose, though...

    M. Murcek, Jun 28, 2005
  10. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    I took avast! off the desktop and replaced it with the 90 day trial of
    eTrust 7.1 for x64 Edition. So far, so good.

    M. Murcek, Jun 29, 2005
  11. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    Hope it works for you. Would like to know what other items you two have in
    common, since, many other posters here, including myself, are using Avast
    with no problems. So far I haven't had any shutdown problems with x64 in
    the 45 days I have used it. I didn't have a modem for x64 so didn't use the
    internet during beta.

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2005
  12. M. Murcek

    NNBXX Guest

    My system in brief :

    Dual Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz EM64T (Nocona)
    Chipset Intel 7525
    1 GB DDR2 ECC Registered (2x512 MB) Micron
    Onboard Adaptec HostRAID Ultra320 SCSI controller (AIC-7901X)
    Onboard SATA controller (Adaptec ? but unsure)
    Two Maxtor Atlas 10K IV Ultra320 SCSI in RAID 1
    One Maxtor DiamonMax Plus 9 160 GB SATA
    ATI FireGL V3100 128 MB
    Plextor PX 716-A with firmware 1.08 (latest)
    Mitsubishi DiamondPro 2070SB

    Maybe it has something in common with M. Murcek's system. A clue there ?

    eh7P$...

    NNBXX, Jun 29, 2005
  13. What was the cost of 7.1?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 1, 2005
  14. eTrust is a bit too much just for basic protection on a platform
    architecture that is virtually virus free.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  15. M. Murcek

    John Barnes Guest

    You can find an OEM copy for < $20 if you look around.

    John Barnes, Jul 1, 2005
  16. Thanks! I do see it on eBay. All things considered, the retail price at HP
    is no big deal either. I assumed it was more expensive for a 1-user
    license.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 2, 2005