    comes up,its windows xp,
    any help would be appreciated

    thanks in advance , jim,
    gingo, Feb 4, 2009

  2. gingo

    Jan B Guest

    "gingo" <> schreef in bericht
    news:Lwgil.10535$2...
    > my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
    > working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried
    > to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it
    > cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but
    > nothing comes up,its windows xp,
    > any help would be appreciated
    >
    > thanks in advance , jim,

    Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
    --
    Jan B
    Jan B, Feb 4, 2009

  3. gingo

    Keyser Söze Guest

    gingo <> wrote in message

    > my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will
    > be working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have
    > tried to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then
    > tells me it cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned
    > for viruses but nothing comes up,its windows xp,
    > any help would be appreciated
    >
    > thanks in advance , jim,

    BIOS update might be needed.

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Feb 4, 2009
  4. Define "shutdown".

    Centre Parting, Feb 4, 2009
  5. gingo

    Fergal Guest

    "Jan B" <> wrote in message

    > "gingo" <> schreef in bericht
    >> my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
    >> working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried
    >> to use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it
    >> cant restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but
    >> nothing comes up,its windows xp,
    >> any help would be appreciated
    >>
    >> thanks in advance , jim,

    > Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
    > --
    > Jan B

    I'm having a similar problem, will try cleaning out inside of case as there
    is some dust & fluff in there. Why would this cause PC to restart? Is it
    something to do with overheating? If so, why does it restart immediately and
    then run for a while without doing it again?
    Many Thanks for any replies.
    Fergal, Feb 4, 2009
  6. Crapper wrote:
    > I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With it
    > disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an error
    > code instead of the reboot.

    Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of overheat.

    Centre Parting, Feb 4, 2009
  7. gingo

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Centre Parting <> wrote in message

    > Crapper wrote:
    >> I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With
    >> it disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an error
    >> code instead of the reboot.

    > Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
    > overheat.

    Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or even
    the same post?

    Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?

    <Aside: Fucking idiot hillbilly>

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Feb 4, 2009
  8. gingo

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Lwgil.10535$2>,
    says...
    > my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
    > working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.i have tried to
    > use system restore,but it goes through the motions,then tells me it cant
    > restore it. and nothing has changed,i have scanned for viruses but nothing
    > comes up,its windows xp,
    > any help would be appreciated

    A common reason for unexplained restarts is lack of Cooling caused by
    excessive Dust blocking vents and or coating the fans and heatsinks the
    cool the CPU and Video card.

    Check your case for dust, it should be clean.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Feb 4, 2009
  9. gingo

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:05:55 GMT, "Fergal" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "Jan B" <> wrote in message
    >>> "gingo" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Look for dust in the interior of your PC. Is the fan correctly working?
    >>> --
    >>> Jan B

    >> I'm having a similar problem, will try cleaning out inside of case as there
    >> is some dust & fluff in there. Why would this cause PC to restart? Is it
    >> something to do with overheating? If so, why does it restart immediately and
    >> then run for a while without doing it again?
    >> Many Thanks for any replies.
    >>

    > The dust causes static electricity to build up. once it discharges tie
    > computer doesn't have a problem restarting.

    ROFL!!!
    Desk Rabbit, Feb 4, 2009
  10. Keyser Söze wrote:
    > Centre Parting <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Crapper wrote:
    >>> I would try disabling the auto restart feature of Windows XP. With
    >>> it disabled you should then get a blue screen that will list an
    >>> error code instead of the reboot.

    >> Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
    >> overheat.

    > Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or
    > even the same post?
    >
    > Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?

    You really have so little understanding that this needs explaining ?

    Then obviously, I'll have to tell you, fuckwit.

    When PC's crash due to thermal shutdown, it's because the BIOS is protecting
    the CPU from overheating.
    Nothing to do with Windows.

    Try doing some basic reading up before spouting any more dollops of wisdom.

    Centre Parting, Feb 4, 2009
  11. A lot of random reboots are actually about failing PSU's.
    Expect accompanying IDE and VGA symptoms.

    Centre Parting, Feb 4, 2009
  12. gingo

    > A lot of random reboots are actually about failing PSU's.
    > Expect accompanying IDE and VGA symptoms.
    >
    > Keyser Söze wrote:
    >> Centre Parting <> wrote in message

    >>> Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
    >>> overheat.

    >> Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or
    >> even the same post?
    >>
    >> Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?
    >>
    >> <Aside: Fucking idiot hillbilly>

    Learn to post properly and you wouldn't attribute your blubbering to anyone
    other than the OP.

    <Aside: Braindead hillbilly know-nothing pansy-arsed faggot>

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Feb 4, 2009
  13. gingo

    > Keyser Söze wrote:
    >> Centre Parting <> wrote in message

    >>> Makes no never mind if the BIOS shuts the system down because of
    >>> overheat.

    >> Who made mention of BIOS *and* overheating in the *same* sentence or
    >> even the same post?
    >>
    >> Nobody, right? So, why mention it, eh?

    > You really have so little understanding that this needs explaining ?

    You don't know how to post properly, ya dumb-dora. Crapper was who you
    replied to and he said jack-shit about the kuk you came out with. You meant
    to post to the OP and you got it wrong, suck it up.

    > Then obviously

    Not so for you, eh?

    > , I'll have to tell you, fuckwit.

    Says the fuckwit.

    > When PC's crash due to thermal shutdown, it's because the BIOS is
    > protecting the CPU from overheating.
    > Nothing to do with Windows.

    Who gives a ****, you were wrong to attribute your babblings to crapper,
    that's your problem, deal with it.

    > Try doing some basic reading up before spouting any more dollops of
    > wisdom.

    Your post, fucknuts, your post, you aimed low, have you always aimed low in
    your empty life?

    Keyser Söze, Feb 4, 2009
  14. gingo

    Helpful guy Guest

    "gingo" <> wrote in message
    > my pc has recently decided to shutdown and restart on its own.i will be
    > working away on it, and suddenly it will restart on its own.

    There are many possible causes of this problem.
    I haven't read all the replies but if cleaning the dust out makes no
    difference then you should try a new power supply before doing anything
    else.
    Sometimes Event Viewer can give a clue as to what went wrong before the
    restart. If it doesn't then replace the power supply and go from there.

    Helpful guy, Feb 5, 2009