  1. Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may cost more
    than any electricity saving.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 14, 2009

  2. In article <gs3682$olt$>, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >"geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may
    >>> cost more than any electricity saving.
    >>>
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>

    >> Leave you oven on all the time by the same principal.

    >Because those two things are just the same, right?

    ... because one makes about as much sense as the other. :)

    And please, don't feed the trolls. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 15, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Apr 15, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Leave you oven on all the time by the same principal.

    >> Because those two things are just the same, right?

    > .. because one makes about as much sense as the other. :)
    >
    > And please, don't feed the trolls. :)

    Not really, an oven is about 3000 watts normally, but cycles so will be
    a lot less then that on averate an idle PC is about 2% of the 3000 watt
    that an oven takes when on, that so it is hardly the same.

    Now you do spend more time waiting for an oven then a PC to get ready,
    but generally the oven is not something you are being paid money to sit
    there waiting to get ready. Perhaps if you are a professional chef, but
    they tend not to arrive at work and need a hot oven, whereas anyone with
    a desk job is straight on a computer normally, and ovens dont have the
    ability to have applications left open just how you need them.
    Richard, Apr 15, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    > Richard wrote:

    > and ovens dont have the
    > ability to have applications left open just how you need them.

    Obviously you've never used Linux Oven. Just modify your ovenrc file and
    link it to your runlevel 2 file via root. Simple.

    Lodi
    Lodi, Apr 15, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may
    >> cost more than any electricity saving.
    >>
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>

    > Leave you oven on all the time by the same principal.
    >

    > geoff

    Chalk/Cheese
    Jack Spratt, Apr 15, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 14, 1:40 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may cost more
    > than any electricity saving.
    >
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>

    Windows will crash after about a day so I may as well shut it down
    overnight.
    Matty F, Apr 16, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 14, 1:40 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may cost
    >> more
    >> than any electricity saving.
    >>
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>

    > Windows will crash after about a day so I may as well shut it down
    > overnight.

    Have you sought help for this crash problem?
    Sounds like you may have failed at something during the install or the day
    to day running.
    Jack Spratt, Apr 16, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Apr 16, 10:06 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > > On Apr 14, 1:40 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> Time spent waiting for your PC to shut down and boot up again may cost
    > >> more
    > >> than any electricity saving.

    > >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=3215>

    > > Windows will crash after about a day so I may as well shut it down
    > > overnight.

    > Have you sought help for this crash problem?
    > Sounds like you may have failed at something during the install or the day
    > to day running.

    Don't be silly, we know Windows crashes all the time because of its
    sloppy memory management. I will fix it by going to Linux.
    Matty F, Apr 16, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > Windows will crash after about a day so I may as well shut it down
    > overnight.

    Only time I restart is to put in updates - and if they are not important
    ones I will just leave them - often get to 3 months or so without a
    restart - more are caused by united networks sloppy power network then
    microsoft.
    Richard, Apr 17, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Geopelia Guest

    My computer has a stand by arrangement. If I click Stand By it seems to
    switch off, but will start up again quickly.
    I use that through the day and switch off at night.
    Geopelia, May 3, 2009
  12. In message <gtj8ap$g4n$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > My computer has a stand by arrangement. If I click Stand By it seems to
    > switch off, but will start up again quickly.

    That's called "sleep" mode.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 3, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 17, 7:49 am, Matty F <> wrote:
    > On Apr 16, 10:06 pm, "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > > > Windows will crash after about a day so I may as well shut it down
    > > > overnight.

    > > Have you sought help for this crash problem?
    > > Sounds like you may have failed at something during the install or the day
    > > to day running.

    > Don't be silly, we know Windows crashes all the time because of its
    > sloppy memory management. I will fix it by going to Linux.

    So how exactly is the memory management different between Windows (say
    XP or later) and Linux?
    JohnO, May 3, 2009
  14. In message <4e95afe4-0195-436b-b0e0-
    >, JohnO wrote:

    > So how exactly is the memory management different between Windows (say
    > XP or later) and Linux?

    Windows doesn't have the clear separation between kernel and userland. The
    GUI uses something called the "desktop heap", which is a limited area of
    memory that can run out. Since everything in the GUI (window, menu, button
    etc) is technically a "window" and needs space allocated in the desktop
    heap, dire consequences can arise when you run out. Which can happen if
    programs quit without properly cleaning up after themselves.

    In Linux, the system is structured into well-separated layers. Processes do
    not have any responsibility for managing kernel memory--only the kernel
    does. While the video-card driver is part of the kernel, the actual GUI is
    managed entirely by processes running in user space. If a process dies, the
    X server (the lowest layer of the GUI) notices the connection has gone, and
    will automatically clean up all GUI elements created by that process. Even
    if something screws up the entire GUI, you can restart it without doing a
    full system reboot, meaning a quicker recovery. And of course, it's easy to
    run with a simpler GUI, or even no GUI at all, if you want to.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 3, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <gtj8ap$g4n$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> My computer has a stand by arrangement. If I click Stand By it seems to
    >> switch off, but will start up again quickly.

    > That's called "sleep" mode.

    Thank you
    Geopelia, May 3, 2009