    again since cancelling apps. from task manager doesn't seem to work.

    Thanks.

    Bun Mui

    Bun Mui, May 16, 2004

    and I have to shut down and boot up
    | again since cancelling apps. from task
    manager doesn't seem to work.

    | Thanks.
    |
    | Bun Mui

    Ryan 8088, May 16, 2004

  3. Bun Mui

    Unk Guest

    On 16 May 2004 09:03:10 -0700, (Bun Mui) wrote:

    >Is there anyway to control the order in which Windows XP shut down the
    >applications. Many of the icons are on the system tray.
    >
    >For instance shut off the Internet connection icon before Zone Alarm
    >so it would be more secure.
    >
    >Because sometimes my computer freezes and I have to shut down and boot up
    >again since cancelling apps. from task manager doesn't seem to work.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Bun Mui

    Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.

    You can also try this to see if it eliminates the freezing:
    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.

    Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

    Shutdown troubleshooter for Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    Obscure causes; Extremely long shutdowns that appear as freezing.....

    nVidia video cards:
    In Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, stop the Nvidia Driver
    Helper service. (You can also get this by launching SERVICES.MSC from a Run
    box.) Downloading and installing the latest Nvidia driver also solves this
    problem.

    Security Setting:
    In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to
    clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
    hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough
    that users may think that shutdown has hung. Since someone actually has to
    have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but worth mentioning.
    To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill
    down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings |
    Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find Shutdown: Clear
    virtual memory pagefile.

    Unk, May 16, 2004