    this but not sure where to search or how to ask.

    She has Norton anti-virus and was on auto update but ??

    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Fredthe freeloader, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Fredthe freeloader

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Fredthe freeloader wrote:
    > A friend has a computer running Windows XP and it keeps shutting down
    > after a few minutes of start up. I think there was a bug of some
    > kind that did this but not sure where to search or how to ask.
    >
    > She has Norton anti-virus and was on auto update but ??
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    When it 'shuts down' is it providing any error messages? Try reading the
    event log to see what is actually causing the problem - right click on My
    Computer, select Manage, and click on Event Viewer.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Fredthe freeloader

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:39:33 -0500, "Fredthe freeloader" <> wrote:

    >A friend has a computer running Windows XP and it keeps shutting down after
    >a few minutes of start up. I think there was a bug of some kind that did
    >this but not sure where to search or how to ask.
    >
    >She has Norton anti-virus and was on auto update but ??
    >
    >Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three sub-categories for the red
    flagged error records. The date and time of these should correspond to your restarts. Double
    click on an error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and
    Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart", Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system failure occurs. Instead it
    will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of Death" with a STOP error message and then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch). But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue as to the
    underlying cause of the problem.
    Unk, Sep 26, 2005