    XP Pro. When I shut down the pc, it says at the end it is now safe to turn
    off the pc, and waits for me to do this, like it use to do on the old AT
    systems. Any ideas please? How can I shut it down automatically?

    John, Nov 24, 2004

  2. John

    Rob K Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:49:17 GMT, John wrote:

    > Can anyone please help. I have just got hold of an oldish pc, AMD Duron,
    > 700mhz, 128mb. I had to reformat the hd, which had windows ME, and now has
    > XP Pro. When I shut down the pc, it says at the end it is now safe to turn
    > off the pc, and waits for me to do this, like it use to do on the old AT
    > systems. Any ideas please? How can I shut it down automatically?

    I've had similar problems - a BIOS update eventually did the trick.
    And of course, flashing the BIOS is something you don't want to do -
    unless all else fails ...
    Further reading :
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Rob K, Nov 24, 2004

  3. John

    Guest

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:49:17 GMT, "John" <> wrote:

    |> Can anyone please help. I have just got hold of an oldish pc, AMD Duron,
    |> 700mhz, 128mb. I had to reformat the hd, which had windows ME, and now has
    |> XP Pro. When I shut down the pc, it says at the end it is now safe to turn
    |> off the pc, and waits for me to do this, like it use to do on the old AT
    |> systems. Any ideas please? How can I shut it down automatically?

    I wanted a slicker way to shut down and came up with this:

    Right click the desktop and create a new shortcut.

    Browse for:
    <your drive letter>:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe

    Once it's created right click on the icon > properties and add -r -t 1 at the
    end of the command line.

    So you have a target of:
    <your drive letter>:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 1
    and apply.

    Double click on the icon and you... shut down.

    In a dos window type in shutdown for a list of other switches.
    The -r does what you want, and the -t is the seconds to start.

    , Nov 24, 2004