SHURRUP YOU LOT. I'M TALKING

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Trog, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Now, you know what hacks me off about this place. Well, actually, it
    doesn’t hack me off. More kinda makes me laugh. And that is the total
    hypocrisy about microsoft versus Linux. Marketing methods used by
    either. And the bull shit bollicks than some spout on here.

    I wonder how many people who use these boards have, shall we say, not
    quiet legal software sitting on their desk. How many, (looks around)
    have software that is borrowed or copied. Yet spout on about less than
    scrupulous methods used by whoever. Who else is not playing by the
    rules around here hmmmmmm ?

    People use linux, eg open source, and freeware, in spite of requests for
    donation to fund further development of "open Source" software still
    happily use software but will not make a contribution to the producer of
    that software. They still want it for free huh. And bugger the kid
    that put the time and effort into writing the software.

    How many people knock Microsoft and their marketing methods in pushing
    their products. And tell me, just what is the difference between
    Microsoft giving away software, or sponsoring up and coming students and
    the mad butcher pushing his snags on behalf of the warriors. Or
    MacDonalds giving money to star ship. Giving bags of sausages to fund
    raisers for free. Its marketing. Its about getting your name out there
    in the community. Its about social and corporate, however transparent
    such motives may be, responsibility. Its about profits. The bottom
    line if you will. Giving something back. Bringing on the next
    generation etc. Just slightly different scales thats all. Its business.

    Granted many will disagree with ms's methods but hell. Theyve worked so
    far. And ms need to change to keep up their market share or linux needs
    to do something.

    And let's face it. The only ones that are bellyaching about ms and
    linux are those that have the time to sit around sniffing their farts
    while the rest of the world moves on.

    So, I guess what Im trying to say here is look to your own scruples when
    it comes to software. theft of music, theft of copy write Illegal,
    borrowed, freely obtained legally yet pay for it ? Not bloody likely. I
    know many people that have acquired software and entertainment on their
    computers. Including bloody Microsoft techs.

    Linux and ms software do one thing. Manipulate, number crunch and
    entertain. Whether that's ms or linux is of no matter. If people want
    ms, they will ask for it. If people want linux, they will ask for it.
    For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the motorist that is
    interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot
    proof. Nowadays at least.

    The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And besides,
    many people love to bitch.

    So, the point of this ? Stop yer bloody winging and get a life away
    from computers if all you can do is bellyache about em. Those that
    choose Linux, let em play. Those that choose ms let em play. Ms is for
    people that use computers. They just want the thing to work. Linux,
    until it becomes more idiot proof (those that have used suse 9.1 will
    know what I mean) will go for ms cause they just want a friggin computer
    that works.

    Oh I got more to say, but right now I’ve run outa time. And people ?
    Don’t get nasty. Cause I can too. But I wont.

    Whew. I feel better now.

    Toodles.
    Trog, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Trog

    Andrew Guest

    Trog wrote:
> [...]
    > cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot
    > proof. Nowadays at least.
    >
    > The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    > probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And besides,
    > many people love to bitch.
    >
    > So, the point of this ? Stop yer bloody winging and get a life away
    > from computers if all you can do is bellyache about em. Those that
    > choose Linux, let em play. Those that choose ms let em play. Ms is for
    > people that use computers. They just want the thing to work. Linux,
    > until it becomes more idiot proof (those that have used suse 9.1 will
    > know what I mean) will go for ms cause they just want a friggin computer
    > that works.
    >
    > Oh I got more to say, but right now I’ve run outa time. And people ?
    > Don’t get nasty. Cause I can too. But I wont.

    Bravo
    Andrew, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Trog

    XPD Guest

    "Trog" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Now, you know what hacks me off about this place. Well, actually, it
    > doesn’t hack me off. More kinda makes me laugh. And that is the total
    > hypocrisy about microsoft versus Linux. Marketing methods used by either.
    > And the bull shit bollicks than some spout on here.

    Hehe.....

    Ill be in both camps soon..... Will be using Linux for "work" (browsing,
    email etc) and Win XP for "play" (games).
    Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

    'nuff zed. :)
    XPD, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Trog wrote:

    > I wonder how many people who use these boards have, shall we say, not
    > quiet legal software sitting on their desk. How many, (looks around)
    > have software that is borrowed or copied. Yet spout on about less than
    > scrupulous methods used by whoever. Who else is not playing by the
    > rules around here hmmmmmm ?

    Heh. I had what I call a "shakedown" call from a Microsoft licensing
    agency checking on whether I had an "SPLA" (Service Provider License
    Agreement) to operate oneof my client accounts.

    Actually, since the client concerned owns all their licenses and we just
    operate their servers, no such agreement is needed. But it makes me
    very very glad that I largely run Open Source software for the services
    that I *DO* operate on a lease-basis.
    Stewart Fleming, Jul 14, 2005
  5. "Trog" <> wrote in message news:...
    [...]
    > Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    > somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own cars.
    > These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot proof.
    > Nowadays at least.

    You write "Ms is for people that use computers. They just want the thing to
    work." OK, let me finish this for you... They just want the thing to work
    ~because~ they actually ~do~ have a life that is not computer centric.
    Blindingly obvious to anyone whose life does not revolve around Linux.

    What this means is that you really need to get a life away from Linux, you
    mongol.

    Tony.
    The Black Wibble, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Trog

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Black Wibble wrote:
    > What this means is that you really need to get a life away from
    > Linux, you mongol.

    C'mon man, what did the Mongol's ever do to you? ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Trog

    Allistar Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Trog" <> wrote in message
    >> Now, you know what hacks me off about this place. Well, actually, it
    >> doesn’t hack me off. More kinda makes me laugh. And that is the total
    >> hypocrisy about microsoft versus Linux. Marketing methods used by
    >> either. And the bull shit bollicks than some spout on here.

    > Hehe.....
    >
    > Ill be in both camps soon..... Will be using Linux for "work" (browsing,
    > email etc) and Win XP for "play" (games).
    > Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    >
    > 'nuff zed. :)

    Indeed. Use the one that best suits your needs. For me that is (by far)
    Linux.

    (As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based) software
    on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using Quanta (an
    editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the file. I don't
    have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just open it from
    it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an FTP server).

    I also develop on Windows too because some of the tools I use only run on
    the platform (at the moment). And believe it or not some of my clients want
    software that runs on Windows.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Trog

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:04:41 +1200, Trog wrote:

    > Now, you know what hacks me off about this place. Well, actually, it
    > doesn¢t hack me off. More kinda makes me laugh. And that is the total
    > hypocrisy about microsoft versus Linux. Marketing methods used by
    > either. And the bull shit bollicks than some spout on here.

    Oh dear... We are in for another less than insightful diatribe...

    > People use linux, eg open source, and freeware, in spite of requests for
    > donation to fund further development of "open Source" software still
    > happily use software but will not make a contribution to the producer of
    > that software. They still want it for free huh. And bugger the kid
    > that put the time and effort into writing the software.

    Ok, you clearly do not understand the system. A few quick tips for you:

    1. Contribution is not expected from the majority.
    2. Effort is not provided for reward. If it was it'd be called "commercial
    software". You may have heard of that...
    3. It is _software_. This means that THE major costs in reproduction is
    ZERO. Leaving only the cost in development to recover - and this is shared
    between a few dozen contributors, and they bare it for free. Because that's
    what nice people do. It's a whole area of biology research.

    > How many people knock Microsoft and their marketing methods in pushing
    > their products. And tell me, just what is the difference between
    > Microsoft giving away software, or sponsoring up and coming students and
    > the mad butcher pushing his snags on behalf of the warriors.

    Nothing. Both are insincere, MS much more so. "Cynical manipulation" comes
    to mind, such as practised by psychopath's upon their targets.

    >Or
    > MacDonalds giving money to star ship. Giving bags of sausages to fund
    > raisers for free.

    Cynical manipulation as well. If they were sincere, they'd donate the money
    and ensure there was no publicity about it.

    That they do not betrays obvious manipulation. It happens so often though,
    you are de-sensitised to it.

    >Its marketing.

    It's manipulation, it's bribery. It's more akin to a drug pusher giving out
    free samples than to alturism.

    >Its about getting your name out there
    > in the community. Its about social and corporate, however transparent
    > such motives may be, responsibility. Its about profits. The bottom
    > line if you will.

    It's about convincing the people you are not the monster you soo clearly
    ARE.

    >Giving something back. Bringing on the next
    > generation etc. Just slightly different scales thats all.

    lol, I hope they are paying you for this. Goering would be proud.

    >Its business.

    It's corruption.

    > Granted many will disagree with ms's methods but hell. Theyve worked so
    > far.

    Well, hell, sending millions off to gas chambers and hoarding their gold
    fillings worked well too.

    Guess you mean that as long as it works, it's ok.

    >And ms need to change to keep up their market share or linux needs
    > to do something.

    Linux need do nothing.

    Why ?

    Because people are genetically programmed to be social. To co-operate. And
    Open Source is a better way for doing this.

    And who are YOU to argue with 600 million years of evolution - evolution
    that has seen communal organism's dominate the planet ?

    Commercial competition is the Shark of economics: mean, lethal, ...
    endangered. Entirely dependant on a system of artifical support.

    > And let's face it. The only ones that are bellyaching about ms and
    > linux are those that have the time to sit around sniffing their farts
    > while the rest of the world moves on.

    Oh, the conceits of the ignorant... Truly, pearls before swine...

    > So, I guess what Im trying to say here is look to your own scruples when
    > it comes to software. theft of music, theft of copy write Illegal,
    > borrowed, freely obtained legally yet pay for it ? Not bloody likely. I
    > know many people that have acquired software and entertainment on their
    > computers. Including bloody Microsoft techs.

    That is a different debate. The idea of Intellectual Property law was
    poorly conceived and frought with under the table payouts when it was first
    mooted.

    Now, it's an entire ecology of artificial supports for decrepit business
    models. You, as a tax payer, PAY to make MS profitable.

    Without you, muggins, they would have to compete on merit rather than
    politics.

    > Linux and ms software do one thing. Manipulate, number crunch and
    > entertain. Whether that's ms or linux is of no matter. If people want
    > ms, they will ask for it. If people want linux, they will ask for it.
    > For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the motorist that is
    > interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    > Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    > somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    > cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot
    > proof. Nowadays at least.

    That's a popular misconception.

    People around here charge $80 an hour to fix there Windows PC's. They get
    it. And they do 40 hours a week.

    Lots of people are not finding windows easy to use.

    > So, the point of this ? Stop yer bloody winging and get a life away
    > from computers if all you can do is bellyache about em.

    Ahh, what a let down. After all the blather, comical misconceptions,
    ludicrously shallow insights... We are left with "the point of this" (in
    truly Pythonesq tones):

    You all such. Get a life.

    I kid you not. That is what he actually means. And you thought sad git's
    like that were out of fashion ?

    > know what I mean) will go for ms cause they just want a friggin computer
    > that works.

    Look at the difference in uptimes between the two one day, Einstein.

    > Oh I got more to say, but right now I¢ve run outa time. And people ?
    > Don¢t get nasty. Cause I can too. But I wont.

    Yeah ok. But you already did to misfit.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #25464 +(6438)- [X]

    <kow`> "There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand
    binary and those who don't."
    <SpaceRain> That's only 2 types of people, kow.
    <SpaceRain> STUPID

    Note: All my comments are copyright 15/07/2005 1:10:44 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Trog

    Deadmeat Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:04:41 +1200, Trog wrote:

    >>know what I mean) will go for ms cause they just want a friggin computer
    >>that works.

    > Look at the difference in uptimes between the two one day, Einstein.

    What does uptime have to do with the computer 'working' in the sense he
    means it? Buy a game off the shelf, what are the odds that when you go
    to install it on Linux that it will 'just work'?

    I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

    To address another of your points, Linux does need to do something.
    While people may be social, companies are not. There are few if any
    economic reasons to provide Linux support for consumer hardware, until
    there is I don't see Linux becoming widely adopted because of the simple
    difficulty of getting it running. Compared of course with the
    difficulty of finding appropriate windows drivers.
    Deadmeat, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Trog

    H.O.G Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:57 +1200, Allistar <> spoke these
    fine words:

    >(As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based) software
    >on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using Quanta (an
    >editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the file. I don't
    >have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just open it from
    >it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an FTP server).

    I hope you're not implying that you make changes directly on your
    production server?
    H.O.G, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Trog

    PAM. Guest

    "Deadmeat" <chris@ddd> wrote in message
    > To address another of your points, Linux does need to do something.
    > While people may be social, companies are not. There are few if any
    > economic reasons to provide Linux support for consumer hardware, until
    > there is I don't see Linux becoming widely adopted because of the simple
    > difficulty of getting it running. Compared of course with the
    > difficulty of finding appropriate windows drivers.

    10 years ago Linux was mainly command line stuff. Windows was working and
    was great.
    Now, Linux is GUI but has issues with drivers and installing of programs.
    Windows is still easy in these depts and Linux has a way to go. With
    software like Autopackage, things are getting easier for Linux and it's
    users.
    It's just a matter of time before Linux is able to recognise all the
    hardware in your PC and work as well as Windows in this department. The
    Linux version I use (Linpsire) recognised ALL my hardware and installed all
    the "bits" for it. Without exception. Even my wireless network. I got all
    that working without any configuration.

    It IS different. But nothing difficult. Most things are very similar.

    I never use the command line.

    PAM.
    PAM., Jul 15, 2005
  12. Trog

    Robert Cooze Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > The Black Wibble wrote:
    >
    >>What this means is that you really need to get a life away from
    >>Linux, you mongol.

    > C'mon man, what did the Mongol's ever do to you? ;-)
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    hey thats the name of my first linux computer its called mongo mongo
    started out as a 486 now it is a pentium 233mmx it still has the orignal
    floppy and some of the disk blanking pannels the rest has all been
    replaceded part by part the orignal disk had fried its bearing last
    month TG backups :)

    mongo has consumed 5 different operating systems since i have had it the
    one that has stayed on it the longest is e-smith 2.2.19 kernal

    it has had 7 diferent hard drive configs three of the drives have gone
    to hard drive heaven.

    3 cd rom drives (they all dont work any more)

    4 power supplys

    3 different caces

    1 486 mother bord with 32 mb ram orignal had 8mb

    1 pentium mother bord non mmx with a p90 then p133 then p166 (bord and
    cpu still run)

    a set of 4 16mb sims

    a set of 2 16mb sims

    now it has a mmx scocket seven mother bord with a pentium 233 mmx in it

    it has ben in three different caces.

    the dollar terms well mongo was rescued from a jumbo bin. and all parts
    that have gone in to it were castoffs or free (nun of the parts in it
    now I have parted cash to have)

    Robert Cooze, Jul 15, 2005
  13. Trog

    Allistar Guest

    H.O.G wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:57 +1200, Allistar <> spoke these
    > fine words:
    >
    >>(As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based)
    >>software on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using
    >>Quanta (an editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the
    >>file. I don't have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just
    >>open it from it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an
    >>FTP server).

    > I hope you're not implying that you make changes directly on your
    > production server?

    Depends on the client and the nature of the site. In some cases a test
    environment lives on a site on an ISP, so editing that live (before QA and
    release) makes sense. In another case the site is an internal only site for
    doing specific scripts and reports, so no big deal there either.

    The point still stands though, KDE (and yje "fish" protocol) makes this
    imminently easy.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 15, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    H.O.G <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:57 +1200, Allistar <> spoke these
    >fine words:
    >
    >>(As a software developer I find developing (particularly web based) software
    >>on Linux much easier. I can open a php file on the server using Quanta (an
    >>editor) using the fish protocol (ssh for kde) and edit the file. I don't
    >>have to download it, edit it, then upload it again. I just open it from
    >>it's remote location, edit and save. Same with files on an FTP server).

    >I hope you're not implying that you make changes directly on your
    >production server?

    I have done. See <http://www.paulgraham.com/road.html> for a description
    of the methodology.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  15. In article <42d60d81$>,
    "The Black Wibble" <> wrote:

    >"Trog" <> wrote in message news:...
    >[...]
    >> Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    >> somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own cars.
    >> These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relatively speaking, is idiot proof.
    >> Nowadays at least.

    >You write "Ms is for people that use computers. They just want the thing to
    >work." OK, let me finish this for you... They just want the thing to work
    >~because~ they actually ~do~ have a life that is not computer centric.
    >Blindingly obvious to anyone whose life does not revolve around Linux.

    I stole the following from someone's .sig:

    Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
    Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
    DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
    Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¢Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  17. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  18. "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <42d60d81$>,
    > "The Black Wibble" <> wrote:

    [...]
    >>You write "Ms is for people that use computers. They just want the thing
    >>work." OK, let me finish this for you... They just want the thing to
    >>work
    >>~because~ they actually ~do~ have a life that is not computer centric.
    >>Blindingly obvious to anyone whose life does not revolve around Linux.

    > I stole the following from someone's .sig:
    >
    > Linux is for people who want to know why it works.

    Linux is for people who want to know how to make it work.

    > Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
    > DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
    > Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.

    Windows is for people who want to know only enough to make it work..

    Tony.
    The Black Wibble, Jul 15, 2005
  19. Trog

    Deadmeat Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <42d6f51e$>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:
    >

    >>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

    > <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/browse_thread/thread/d64bf9f458
    > 313324/76a07e007caf7894>

    Whats your point? Random technical problems can occur regardless of
    your operating environment. How many people do you run across that in
    day to day use would need to setup their computer to create automatic
    backups?

    Now say I want to install World of Warcraft. Running Windows I can
    chuck in a CD, download and run a patch and shortly afterwards im playing.

    From the looks of things its a little more involved to do this in Linux.
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_and_update_World_Of_Warcraft_with_wine
    Deadmeat, Jul 18, 2005
  20. In article <42daf9a5$>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <42d6f51e$>, Deadmeat <chris@ddd> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I use Windows because I don't want my computer use to be a chore.

    >> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/browse_thread/thread/d64bf9f458
    >> 313324/76a07e007caf7894>

    >Whats your point? Random technical problems can occur regardless of
    >your operating environment. How many people do you run across that in
    >day to day use would need to setup their computer to create automatic
    >backups?

    Everybody with data of any importance.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005