Shurrup you lot. Im speaking. (sniff)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Trog, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Now, you know what hacks me off about this place. Well, actually, it
    doesnt hack me off. More kinda makes me laugh. And that is the total
    hypocracy about microsoft versus Linux. Marketing methods used by
    either. And the bull shit bollicks than some spout on here.

    I wonder how many people who use these boards have, shall we say, not
    quiet legal software sitting on their desk. How many, (looks around)
    have software that is borrowed or compied. Yet spout on about less than
    scrubulus methods used by whoever. Who else is not playing by the rules
    around here hmmmmmm ?

    People use linux, eg open sorce, and freeware, inspite of requests for
    donation to fund futher development of "open Source" software still
    happily use software but will not make a contribution to the prodecer of
    that software. They still want it for free huh. And bugger the kid
    that put the time and effort into writing the software.

    How many people knock Microsoft and their marketing methods in pushing
    their products. And tell me, just what is the difference between
    microsoft giving away software, or sponcering up and coming students and
    the mad butcher pushing his snags on behalf of the warriers. Or
    MacDonalds giving money to startship. Giving bags of sausages to fund
    raisers for free. Its marketing. Its about getting your name out there
    in the comunity. Its about social and corparoate, however transparent
    such motives may be, responcibility. Its about profits. The bottom
    line if you will. Giving something back. Bringing on the next
    gereration etc. Just slightly different scales thats all. Its business.

    Granted many will disagree with ms's methods but hell. Theyve worked so
    far. And ms need to change to keep up their market share or linux needs
    to do something.

    And let's face it. The only ones that are bellyaching about ms and
    linux are those that have the time to sit around sniffing their farts
    while the rest of the world moves on.

    So, I guess what Im trying to say here is look to your own scrupals when
    it comes to software. theft of music, theft of copy write Illegal,
    borrowed, freely obtained legally yet pay for it ? Not bloody likely.
    I know many people that ahve aquired software and entertainmnt on their
    computers.

    Linux and ms software do one thing. Manipulate, number crunch and
    entertain. whether that's ms or linux is of no matter. If people want
    ms, they will ask for it. If people want linux, they will ask for it.
    For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the moterist that is
    interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relativly speaking, is idiot
    proof. Nowadays at least.

    The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And
    besideds, many people love to bitch.

    So, the point of this ? Stop yer bloody winging and get a life away
    from computers if all you can do is bellyache about em. Those that
    choose Linux, let em play. Those that choose ms let em play. Ms is for
    people that use computers. They just want the thing to work. Linux,
    until it becomes more idiot proof (those that have used suse 9.1 will
    know what I mean) will go for ms cause they just want a friggin computer
    that works.

    Oh I got more to say, but right now Ive run outa time. And people ?
    Dont get nasty. Cause I can too. But I wont.

    Toodles.

    Trog, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Trog

    PAM. Guest

    "Trog" <> wrote in message news:...
    > microsoft versus Linux.

    Fight, fight, fight
    :)

    > I wonder how many people who use these boards have, shall we say, not
    > quiet legal software sitting on their desk.

    I am saying nothing :)

    > People use linux, but will not make a contribution to the prodecer of
    > that software.

    Has been me but I'm egging more to paying by developing/helping develop in
    my own time. Got a course lined up already to learn so I can help.

    > How many people knock Microsoft and their marketing methods in pushing
    > their products.

    Always thought they've been good at marketing. Just like IBM. It's sales,
    not the product, that counts.

    > For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the moterist that is
    > interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    > Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    > somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    > cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relativly speaking, is idiot
    > proof. Nowadays at least.

    Unless you deside to go Linspire (.com) and it works straight outa the box
    on your machine, like it does for me. Then Linux is easy.
    Click 'n' Run, Click 'n' Run, Click 'n' Run.

    > So, the point of this ? Ms is for people that use computers. They just

    want the thing to work. Linux, until it becomes more idiot proof.
    I hear ya. Damn straight there Trog.

    If Linux becomes too popular, I can see MS open sourcing their code and
    flattening Linux right there. They can then 'close up' shop when Linux fades
    almost away.
    :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 14, 2005

  3. Trog

    Crash Guest

    Trog wrote:
    [snip dodgy but uninteresting observations]

    > For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the moterist that is
    > interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    > Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    > somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    > cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relativly speaking, is idiot
    > proof. Nowadays at least.

    MS is relatively idiotproof? I have heard Windows called many things but
    idiotproof is totally unjustified. Are you saying that any old idiot can use a
    Windows box? That may be true of a standalone machine (i.e. not network or
    internet connected) but that's it. As soon as a network is involved and/or the
    internet idiots are in trouble with Windows. It takes skills beyond those of an
    idiot to know how to get stuff off other computers, what antivirus and firewall
    software is and the lunacy of connecting to the internet without them when using
    a Windows box.

    > The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    > probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And
    > besideds, many people love to bitch.

    [snip]

    Idiots simply cannot use Windows or Linux but I acknowledge that Windows
    requires far less knowledge to use than the general Linux community.

    Crash.

    Crash, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Crash wrote:
    > It takes skills beyond those of an idiot to know how to get
    > stuff off other computers,

    mmm, and network shares on Linux are easy...

    > what antivirus and firewall software is and
    > the lunacy of connecting to the internet without them when using a
    > Windows box.

    not since SP2

    >> The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    >> probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And
    >> besideds, many people love to bitch.

    > Idiots simply cannot use Windows or Linux but I acknowledge that Windows
    > requires far less knowledge to use than the general Linux community.

    heh, yep indeedy.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Crash wrote:

    > Trog wrote:
    > [snip dodgy but uninteresting observations]
    >
    >> For me, having used both ms and linux, linux if for the moterist that
    >> is interested in cars, drives his own car and services his own car.
    >> Microsoft is for the idiot user that thinks the cd roms drawer is
    >> somewhere to put the coffee mug. Few car drivers service their own
    >> cars. These people go with Ms. Cause ms, relativly speaking, is
    >> idiot proof. Nowadays at least.
    >>

    > MS is relatively idiotproof? I have heard Windows called many things
    > but idiotproof is totally unjustified. Are you saying that any old
    > idiot can use a Windows box? That may be true of a standalone machine
    > (i.e. not network or internet connected) but that's it. As soon as a
    > network is involved and/or the internet idiots are in trouble with
    > Windows. It takes skills beyond those of an idiot to know how to get
    > stuff off other computers, what antivirus and firewall software is and
    > the lunacy of connecting to the internet without them when using a
    > Windows box.
    >
    >> The computer enthusiast, those with a passion for computers will
    >> probably go for linux. Just to be different in many cases. And
    >> besideds, many people love to bitch.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Idiots simply cannot use Windows or Linux but I acknowledge that Windows
    > requires far less knowledge to use than the general Linux community.
    >
    > Crash.

    was aimed more at stand alones but hey,

    Trog, Jul 14, 2005
  6. In article <LohBe.352$>,
    "PAM." <> wrote:

    >If Linux becomes too popular, I can see MS open sourcing their code and
    >flattening Linux right there.

    Won't happen, because it's totally contrary to the very DNA of Microsoft.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Trog

    Rob J Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:26:11 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <LohBe.352$>,
    > "PAM." <> wrote:
    >
    >>If Linux becomes too popular, I can see MS open sourcing their code and
    >>flattening Linux right there.

    >Won't happen, because it's totally contrary to the very DNA of Microsoft.

    MS already have some open source projects on Sourceforge.

    Rob J, Jul 16, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    Rob J <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:26:11 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <LohBe.352$>,
    >> "PAM." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If Linux becomes too popular, I can see MS open sourcing their code and
    >>>flattening Linux right there.

    >>Won't happen, because it's totally contrary to the very DNA of Microsoft.

    >MS already have some open source projects on Sourceforge.

    But nothing that remotely threatens the "flattening" of Linux, is there?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005