shrunk Windows 95 install 10 MB

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. T.N.O

    T.N.O Guest

    T.N.O, Aug 2, 2003

  2. T.N.O

    T.N.O Guest

    "Enkidu" wrote
    | >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
    | >disk.
    | >
    | You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.

    With a GUI?

    T.N.O, Aug 2, 2003

  3. T.N.O

    pbs Guest

    T.N.O wrote:
    > "Enkidu" wrote
    > | >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
    > | >disk.
    > | >
    > | You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
    > |

    > With a GUI?

    Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

    pbs, Aug 2, 2003
  4. T.N.O

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:38:44 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >"Enkidu" wrote
    >| >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
    >| >disk.
    >| >
    >| You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
    >
    >With a GUI?

    What on earth for?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 2, 2003
  5. "pbs" <> wrote in message
    > > | You can boot WIn98 off a single floppy.
    > > |

    > > With a GUI?

    > Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

    This is a good one
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 2, 2003
  6. T.N.O

    T.N.O Guest

    "Enkidu" wrote
    | >With a GUI?
    | >
    | What on earth for?

    running GUI only programs.

    T.N.O, Aug 3, 2003
  7. T.N.O

    Tim Guest

    Phillip Weston <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic1.jpg
    >>
    >>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic2.jpg
    >>
    >>Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a
    >>ram disk.
    >>Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to
    >>play with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
    >>
    >>And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah
    >>dont care, I'm talking about Windows here.

    > Someone should tell the guy who took the pictures that taking a
    > screenshot doesn't literally mean putting a webcam up to a monitor.

    In this case it does - an image editor to paste the screen capture into is
    going to take up more space isn't it ;)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>

    Tim, Aug 3, 2003
  8. On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:55:01 +1200, Tim <>
    scribbled:

    >Phillip Weston <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <>
    >> scribbled:
    >>
    >>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic1.jpg
    >>>
    >>>http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic2.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a
    >>>ram disk.
    >>>Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to
    >>>play with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
    >>>
    >>>And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah
    >>>dont care, I'm talking about Windows here.

    >> Someone should tell the guy who took the pictures that taking a
    >> screenshot doesn't literally mean putting a webcam up to a monitor.

    >In this case it does - an image editor to paste the screen capture into is
    >going to take up more space isn't it ;)

    Would the screenshot image be saved in memory?

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Aug 3, 2003
  9. T.N.O

    pbs Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > "pbs" <> wrote in message

    >>>With a GUI?

    >>Or better still with tcp/ip and mount a network disk?

    > This is a good one
    > http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

    Yep I've used "Bart's Network Boot Disk." as a stand
    by recovery disk for a laptop I have with a broken
    CD. The trouble I have is that I can not work out
    how to free up enough memory to run the setup.exe
    of win95.

    I have to rely on DOS tools to reformat the C: disk, make it
    bootable, copy the CD into a dir, reboot, and then run
    (if memory serves me well) setup.exe.

    It would be more elegant to be able to run the setup.exe
    from the initial Bart's dos prompt but I have not been able
    to do that.

    If I could do the network stuff using win9[5,8] on a floppy this
    would remove the memory constraint.

    pbs, Aug 4, 2003
  10. T.N.O

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:19:39 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic1.jpg
    >
    >http://www.wimborne.org/images/rljames_10mb_w95_pic2.jpg
    >
    >Pretty impressive how they have a working Win95 under 10MB and off a ram
    >disk.
    >Also read about a Win98 machine on 35MB Compact Flash, I might have to play
    >with this, it could be nice for a fast system.
    >
    >And before you mention it, yes I do realise that Linux blah blah blah dont
    >care, I'm talking about Windows here.

    Compaq do it with their Smartstart CD Dave, have a compressed file
    called Win95.exe which is 8mb. Run it and it decompresses all the
    necessary Win95 files, about 15mb worth, & then fires up a customised
    version of Windows.

    A non-custom version would be quite useful for support work, could
    run win32 utilities on machines that won't boot up properly.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Aug 7, 2003