    buy a DVD burner, can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
    attached to my tv)??? Are these files copyrighted? How would I know?? Has
    anyone tried this before?? thanks in advance.

    JMH, Jan 7, 2004

  2. JMH

    Mark Spatny Guest

    JMH, says...
    > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)

    SNIP
    > Are these files copyrighted?

    You can safely assume any broadcast network television show is
    copyrighted. Aside from the small type in the end credits telling you
    so, you can assume that Will and Grace episodes are not old enough to
    have fallen into public domain yet.

    Mark Spatny, Jan 8, 2004

  3. JMH

    jayembee Guest

    "JMH" <> wrote:

    > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
    > from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
    > and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
    > can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
    > attached to my tv)???

    That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
    you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
    can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
    it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
    of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.

    Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
    this up.

    > Are these files copyrighted? How would I know??

    Unless the NBC Studios lawyers are complete incompetants,
    the episodes are absolutely copyrighted.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jan 8, 2004
  4. JMH

    Matt Ferrari Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > "JMH" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
    > > from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
    > > and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
    > > can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
    > > attached to my tv)???

    > That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
    > you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
    > can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
    > it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
    > of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
    >
    > Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
    > this up.

    (snip)

    yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
    if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
    that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
    viewable on your DVD player
    and not need to get a DVD burner.

    * DVD player has to be compatible
    * files may have to be converted as stated by others

    Matt

    Matt Ferrari, Jan 8, 2004
  5. JMH

    JMH Guest

    "Matt Ferrari" <> wrote in message

    > "jayembee" <> wrote in message
    > > "JMH" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have some downloaded shows (will and grace episodes)
    > > > from Grokster (from a long time ago) that are avi, mov,
    > > > and other video files (maybe mpeg). If I buy a DVD burner,
    > > > can I make those files playable in my DVD player (one
    > > > attached to my tv)???

    > > That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
    > > you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
    > > can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
    > > it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
    > > of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
    > >
    > > Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
    > > this up.
    > >

    > (snip)
    >
    > yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
    > if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
    > that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
    > viewable on your DVD player
    > and not need to get a DVD burner.
    >
    > * DVD player has to be compatible
    > * files may have to be converted as stated by others
    >
    > Matt

    What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
    them.

    JMH, Jan 8, 2004
  6. JMH

    Skid Guest

    "JMH" <> wrote in message
    > What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
    > them.

    Several choices. See www.dvdrhelp.com

    (There's a separate VCD/SVCD section with guides and downloads.)

    Skid, Jan 8, 2004
  7. JMH wrote:

    > "Matt Ferrari" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"jayembee" <> wrote in message

    >>>That depends on a lot of factors. If the file's an mpeg,
    >>>you should be able to do it. If the file's an avi (which
    >>>can come in various codec flavors: DivX, XviD, et alia),
    >>>it can be converted into an mpeg file with various bits
    >>>of software, like TMPGEnc. Don't know about mov files.
    >>>
    >>>Going to http://www.dvrhelp.com might help clear some of
    >>>this up.
    >>>

    >>(snip)
    >>
    >>yep, theres a quicktime plugin. Also to the original poster
    >>if you have a CD burner theres a pretty good chance
    >>that you would be able to burn a VCD (video computer disc)
    >>viewable on your DVD player
    >>and not need to get a DVD burner.
    >>
    >>* DVD player has to be compatible
    >>* files may have to be converted as stated by others
    >>
    >>Matt
    >>

    > What kind of software do I need to burn a VCD? My DVD player will play
    > them.

    I highly recommend Nero.

    Adios,
    ~Nick