Shows As Not Connected But Is Connected

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=, May 2, 2007.

  1. I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".

    I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    not. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=, May 2, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    Lem Guest

    Dell Boy wrote:
    > I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    > the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    > there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    > Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    > Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    > bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    >
    > I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    > not. Can anyone suggest a solution?


    First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    are connected?

    If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    Lem, May 2, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thanks for replying.

    I'm definitely connected, I'm just confused visually by the red cross by the
    wireless connection icon in the system tray.

    Yes the Dell wireless utility is running, as it has been for the last two
    years since I got the laptop, but I use Windows to manage my wireless
    connections and have never had this problem before.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Dell Boy wrote:
    > > I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    > > the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    > > there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    > > Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    > > Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    > > bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    > >
    > > I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    > > not. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    >
    > First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    > aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    > router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    > are connected?
    >
    > If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    > status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    > running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=, May 2, 2007
    #3
  4. To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireless
    connection, I mean that the Windows Zero Configuration service is started and
    is set to automatic startup.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Dell Boy wrote:
    > > I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    > > the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    > > there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    > > Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    > > Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    > > bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    > >
    > > I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    > > not. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    >
    > First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    > aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    > router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    > are connected?
    >
    > If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    > status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    > running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=, May 2, 2007
    #4
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    Lem Guest

    Dell Boy wrote:
    > To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireless
    > connection, I mean that the Windows Zero Configuration service is started and
    > is set to automatic startup.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Dell Boy wrote:
    >>> I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    >>> the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    >>> there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    >>> Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    >>> Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    >>> bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    >>>
    >>> I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    >>> not. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    >> First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    >> aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    >> router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    >> are connected?
    >>
    >> If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    >> status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    >> running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>


    WZC has been updated from time to time (by Windows Update). Perhaps
    something has changed that now doesn't get along as well as before with
    the Dell utility. There isn't any good reason to have to configuration
    utilities running at the same time, and it may lead to problems. Stop
    one of them and see if that clears up your problem.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    Lem, May 2, 2007
    #5
  6. I believe I have replicated this issue and found a solution.

    In my testing, this issue was caused when a Win XP SP2 machine established
    an automatic connection to a wireless network secured with WPA-PSK and the
    security was then removed from the wireless network. Each time that the Win
    XP SP2 machine connected to the wireless network after the WPA-PSK security
    had been removed the symptoms I described in my post above were experienced.
    This happened across various vendors machines, various vendors wireless
    adapters and both with and without the vendor's wireless utility installed.

    To resolve this issue (assumes you are using Windows to manage your wireless
    connections0:

    1. Right click the windows wireless network in the system tray, click "View
    Available Wireless Networks" and then click "Change Advanced Settings"
    (bottom right corner of the Window).

    2. Click the "Wireless Networks" tab and remove the wireless network from
    the Preferred networks list and reboot the machine.

    3. Re-connect to the wireless network.

    After re-connecting the issue was resolved.

    Hope this helps someone.


    "Lem" wrote:

    > Dell Boy wrote:
    > > To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireless
    > > connection, I mean that the Windows Zero Configuration service is started and
    > > is set to automatic startup.
    > >
    > > "Lem" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dell Boy wrote:
    > >>> I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    > >>> the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    > >>> there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    > >>> Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    > >>> Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    > >>> bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    > >>>
    > >>> I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    > >>> not. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    > >> First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    > >> aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    > >> router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    > >> are connected?
    > >>
    > >> If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    > >> status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    > >> running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    > >> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    > >>
    > >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    > >>

    >
    > WZC has been updated from time to time (by Windows Update). Perhaps
    > something has changed that now doesn't get along as well as before with
    > the Dell utility. There isn't any good reason to have to configuration
    > utilities running at the same time, and it may lead to problems. Stop
    > one of them and see if that clears up your problem.
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >
    > To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=, May 7, 2007
    #6
  7. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    Lem Guest

    Glad you got things sorted out. Thanks for the feedback.

    Dell Boy wrote:
    > I believe I have replicated this issue and found a solution.
    >
    > In my testing, this issue was caused when a Win XP SP2 machine established
    > an automatic connection to a wireless network secured with WPA-PSK and the
    > security was then removed from the wireless network. Each time that the Win
    > XP SP2 machine connected to the wireless network after the WPA-PSK security
    > had been removed the symptoms I described in my post above were experienced.
    > This happened across various vendors machines, various vendors wireless
    > adapters and both with and without the vendor's wireless utility installed.
    >
    > To resolve this issue (assumes you are using Windows to manage your wireless
    > connections0:
    >
    > 1. Right click the windows wireless network in the system tray, click "View
    > Available Wireless Networks" and then click "Change Advanced Settings"
    > (bottom right corner of the Window).
    >
    > 2. Click the "Wireless Networks" tab and remove the wireless network from
    > the Preferred networks list and reboot the machine.
    >
    > 3. Re-connect to the wireless network.
    >
    > After re-connecting the issue was resolved.
    >
    > Hope this helps someone.
    >
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Dell Boy wrote:
    >>> To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireless
    >>> connection, I mean that the Windows Zero Configuration service is started and
    >>> is set to automatic startup.
    >>>
    >>> "Lem" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Dell Boy wrote:
    >>>>> I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    >>>>> the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    >>>>> there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    >>>>> Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    >>>>> Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    >>>>> bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect".
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    >>>>> not. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    >>>> First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    >>>> aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    >>>> router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    >>>> are connected?
    >>>>
    >>>> If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    >>>> status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    >>>> running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    >>>> http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>>>
    >>>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>>>

    >> WZC has been updated from time to time (by Windows Update). Perhaps
    >> something has changed that now doesn't get along as well as before with
    >> the Dell utility. There isn't any good reason to have to configuration
    >> utilities running at the same time, and it may lead to problems. Stop
    >> one of them and see if that clears up your problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>



    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    Lem, May 7, 2007
    #7
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    Matt G Guest

    Wireless Connection says disconnected when actually isconnected and disconnects after about 10 minutes

    This was the solution to my problem. Running XP with dell wireless 1350 PCI card, and trying to connect to a linksys router
    Matt G, Jul 23, 2008
    #8
  9. Re: Wireless Connection says disconnected when actually is connected and disconnects after about 10 minutes

    Hi
    Make sure that he SSID Broadcast is On, and that only one Wireless utility
    manages the connection.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Matt G" wrote in message news:...
    > This was the solution to my problem. Running XP with dell wireless 1350
    > PCI card, and trying to connect to a linksys router
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 25, 2008
    #9
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: Wireless Connection says disconnected when actually is connectedand disconnects after about 10 minutes

    On Jul 25, 3:35 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > Make sure that he SSID Broadcast is On, and that only one Wireless utility
    > manages the connection.http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Matt G" wrote in messagenews:...
    > > This was the solution to my problem. Running XP with dell wireless 1350
    > > PCI card, and trying to connect to a linksys router


    I had a similar problem as this. Turned out my software firewall of
    not trusting my wireless network SSID. Once I told to trust the SSID,
    everything was okay.

    A lot of newer software firewalls are getting more complex and some
    will "deauthenticate" (aka refuse network connection) the wireless
    network unless you tell these to trust the SSID.
    smlunatick, Jul 25, 2008
    #10
  11. =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?=

    Find Jobe Guest

    Hi there

    I disabled alot of services on Vista to speed my laptop up and I got this problem. I fixed it by re-enabling the Network Location Awareness Service.

    To do this go Start -> Run, Type services.msc and click Ok. Scroll down to Network Location Awareness, right click, Properties, change Startup Type to Automatic, click Start and click Ok to close the Properties windows.




    Lem wrote:

    Re: Shows As Not Connected But Is Connected
    02-May-07

    Dell Boy wrote

    WZC has been updated from time to time (by Windows Update). Perhaps
    something has changed that now doesn't get along as well as before with
    the Dell utility. There isn't any good reason to have to configuration
    utilities running at the same time, and it may lead to problems. Stop
    one of them and see if that clears up your problem

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networkin

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    Previous Posts In This Thread:

    On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:15 AM
    Dell Bo wrote:

    Shows As Not Connected But Is Connected
    I am connected to the main wireless network I use but the wireless icon in
    the system tray is showing that I do not have a wireless connection, i.e.
    there is a red cross next to it. When I click "View Available Wireless
    Networks" the Wireless Network Connection window shows a status of "Not
    Connected" alongside the network I am connected to and the button at the
    bottom righthand corner of the Windows says "Disconnect"

    I find this quite confusing as I am never quite sure if I am connected or
    not. Can anyone suggest a solution?

    On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 10:18 AM
    Lem wrote:

    Re: Shows As Not Connected But Is Connected
    Dell Boy wrote

    First you write that you ARE connected and then you write that you
    aren't sure if you are connected. Can you access the Internet? Ping the
    router or another computer on the network? If not, why do you think you
    are connected

    If in fact you are connected but you see the "not connected" icon and
    status you describe, you may have two wireless configuration utilities
    running simultaneously, and you should disable one of them. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.htm

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networkin

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:54 PM
    Dell Bo wrote:

    Thanks for replying.
    Thanks for replying

    I'm definitely connected, I'm just confused visually by the red cross by the
    wireless connection icon in the system tray

    Yes the Dell wireless utility is running, as it has been for the last two
    years since I got the laptop, but I use Windows to manage my wireless
    connections and have never had this problem before

    "Lem" wrote:

    On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:58 PM
    Dell Bo wrote:

    To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireless
    To clarify my last comment that I use Windows to manage my wireles
    connection, I mean that the Windows Zero Configuration service is started an
    is set to automatic startup

    "Lem" wrote:

    On Wednesday, May 02, 2007 1:12 PM
    Lem wrote:

    Re: Shows As Not Connected But Is Connected
    Dell Boy wrote

    WZC has been updated from time to time (by Windows Update). Perhaps
    something has changed that now doesn't get along as well as before with
    the Dell utility. There isn't any good reason to have to configuration
    utilities running at the same time, and it may lead to problems. Stop
    one of them and see if that clears up your problem

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networkin

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    On Monday, May 07, 2007 7:51 AM
    Dell Bo wrote:

    I believe I have replicated this issue and found a solution.
    I believe I have replicated this issue and found a solution

    In my testing, this issue was caused when a Win XP SP2 machine established
    an automatic connection to a wireless network secured with WPA-PSK and the
    security was then removed from the wireless network. Each time that the Win
    XP SP2 machine connected to the wireless network after the WPA-PSK security
    had been removed the symptoms I described in my post above were experienced.
    This happened across various vendors machines, various vendors wireless
    adapters and both with and without the vendor's wireless utility installed.

    To resolve this issue (assumes you are using Windows to manage your wireless
    connections0:

    1. Right click the windows wireless network in the system tray, click "View
    Available Wireless Networks" and then click "Change Advanced Settings"
    (bottom right corner of the Window).

    2. Click the "Wireless Networks" tab and remove the wireless network from
    the Preferred networks list and reboot the machine.

    3. Re-connect to the wireless network.

    After re-connecting the issue was resolved.

    Hope this helps someone.


    "Lem" wrote:

    On Monday, May 07, 2007 9:54 AM
    Lem wrote:

    Glad you got things sorted out. Thanks for the feedback.
    Glad you got things sorted out. Thanks for the feedback.

    Dell Boy wrote:


    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

    On Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:13 PM
    Matt G wrote:

    Wireless Connection says disconnected when actually is connected and disconnects after about 10 minutes
    This was the solution to my problem. Running XP with dell wireless 1350 PCI card, and trying to connect to a linksys router

    On Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:34 AM
    richard simpson wrote:

    shows as not connected but is connected - win xp
    Thank you so much for your research. My problems were with a livebox wireless router. My laptop connected fine as did the PC, however my work laptop would connect then a red cross would appear on the wireless icon. I would still be connected and would log onto work. This would work for a couple of minutes and then drop out.

    The laptop is running Win XP SP2 and when I followed your advice the problem went away,

    thanks, Richard

    On Monday, April 20, 2009 1:01 PM
    Faisal Tahir wrote:

    Thanks
    You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

    On Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:41 AM
    Matthew Rings wrote:

    This fix worked for my laptop
    You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.


    Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
    Excel 2007 Filter Tool
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a2cb-1f3a46fbea8f/excel-2007-filter-tool.aspx
    Find Jobe, May 18, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew Smith

    problem: connected, but not connected to a wireless network

    Andrew Smith, Aug 20, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    896
    Andrew Smith
    Aug 20, 2004
  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=

    New Laptop-Connection Shows connected Unsecured but Windows Networ

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltYm8=?=, Nov 12, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,343
    mdippa
    Mar 3, 2008
  3. Robert11
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    609
    tempus fugit
    Mar 3, 2004
  4. EvitaVie

    WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

    EvitaVie, Dec 12, 2008, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    860
    sbelgard
    Dec 24, 2008
  5. richard simpson

    shows as not connected but is connected - win xp

    richard simpson, Jan 7, 2009, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    387
    richard simpson
    Jan 7, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page