Showing 3 Versions Of .net Framework On PC. Delete Two, Or...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Trying to get a program to run correctly that apparently requires .net
    framework 1.1 (won't work with a later version, I'm told).

    I looked on the control panel's add/remove list, and it looks like I have,
    possibly, 3 versions !

    ..net framework 1.1
    ..net framework 1.1 Hotfix KB886903
    ..net framework 2.0

    Only the 2.0 vers seems to have a file size associated with it in the
    listing

    Which vers am I likely running ? How would I check for sure ?

    Should I delete the other two versions ? If so, how (from the add/remove
    list ?)

    Or,...?

    Anything else I should be asking re this; any caveats about deleting, etc. ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Robert11

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Trying to get a program to run correctly that apparently requires .net
    > framework 1.1 (won't work with a later version, I'm told).

    It's possible.

    > I looked on the control panel's add/remove list, and it looks like I have,
    > possibly, 3 versions !
    >
    > .net framework 1.1
    > .net framework 1.1 Hotfix KB886903

    The original .Net and .Net 2003 are using those Frameworks and any
    programs written in those versions of .Net are using 1.1.

    > .net framework 2.0

    ..Net 2005 uses 2.0 and applications written using that version of the
    Net. framework 2.0. 2.0 has more bells and whistles that are not in 1.1.

    > Only the 2.0 vers seems to have a file size associated with it in the
    > listing
    >
    > Which vers am I likely running ? How would I check for sure ?

    It's not running. The framework is a giant library of programs geared to
    work with applications written for the .Net programming languages like
    VB.Net, C#.NET, C++ .Net and many other .Net programming languages.
    There is even a Cobol.Net as an example. Each one of the .Net
    programming languages use routines/utilities/programs out of the .Net
    Framework library as they are running/executing.

    > Should I delete the other two versions ? If so, how (from the add/remove
    > list ?)
    >
    > Or,...?
    >
    > Anything else I should be asking re this; any caveats about deleting, etc. ?

    ..Net framework is backwards compatible where as the developer of the
    application upgraded the application to use 2.0 from 1.0 as an example
    and things that worked for the application using a later version of the
    framework will work in the new framework.

    But they may not do that if there is no need and just run with the
    framework version that was originally used and not upgrade the application.

    Some .Net applications can be looking for a particular version of the
    framework and will not exec without it being there.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006