showcasing work, limited edition prints, etc

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Hello,

    Recently I was given an opportunity to showcase some of my graphic art and
    photography at a local cafe.
    Since I've never done this before, I thought I would ask questions about a
    few things that mystify me.

    When photographers are selling their prints at galleries, cafe's
    exhibitions, etc ... do they put any kind of a "signature" on the work
    (name, initials, copyright info etc?). I would have to layer this onto the
    images before I got them printed. Most painters put a "signature" on their
    work; is it reasonable for a photographer or graphic artist to do the same?

    My other question has to do with the "limited edition" concept. Perhaps
    artists without a "name" need not concern themselves with this, but if any
    of my prints become popular, this might be a consideration. When artists or
    photographers do a limited edition series, how large is the edition, ie,
    100, 200, 300 prints? Or is this totally flexible, and merely the "whim" of
    the artist?

    It's also a little difficult to come up with initial prices for work. I use
    LightJet print for my output, which is a fairly expensive, but high-quality
    output on high quality paper (acid-free, 100-200 year life). The prints will
    be in the vicinit of $30 to $90 depending on size; at least double that
    again for framing. So, if I'm investing $120 in a framed print, is is
    reasonable to ask $250 to $300 for the piece?

    I would appreciate any feedback from others in the field who have gone this
    route...

    thanks for any helpful advice ...

    Gary

    Gary, Sep 29, 2005

  2. I thoughht that this was a very interesting post. How to commercially value
    one's photography and present it to potential customers is a big headache
    for the uninitiated!

    I hope you don't mind, but I have reproduced your post on the DPNow forum as
    there are some old hands there that know about these things!

    It's at: http://dpnow.com/bb/help.pl?read=315 - do stop by, you're very
    welcome!

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com
    Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

    Digital Photography Now, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Cool!
    Thanks Ian, for furthering the inquiry. I've googled the "limited edition"
    concept and there seems to be not much agreement, but a lot of debate,
    speculation and personal opinion on the subject. Even quite a bit of
    variance on "how to sign a print" (ie, 'real' pen or digital pen ...)

    Gary

    Gary, Sep 29, 2005
  4. In article <cSX_e.317683$on1.115643@clgrps13>,
    "Gary" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Recently I was given an opportunity to showcase some of my graphic art and
    > photography at a local cafe.
    > Since I've never done this before, I thought I would ask questions about a
    > few things that mystify me.
    >
    > When photographers are selling their prints at galleries, cafe's
    > exhibitions, etc ... do they put any kind of a "signature" on the work
    > (name, initials, copyright info etc?). I would have to layer this onto the
    > images before I got them printed. Most painters put a "signature" on their
    > work; is it reasonable for a photographer or graphic artist to do the same?

    The signature, if desired, is placed on the mat, no on the photograph.

    Prefer not to sign it on the front, it gives more room for the art.

    > My other question has to do with the "limited edition" concept. Perhaps
    > artists without a "name" need not concern themselves with this, but if any
    > of my prints become popular, this might be a consideration. When artists or
    > photographers do a limited edition series, how large is the edition, ie,
    > 100, 200, 300 prints? Or is this totally flexible, and merely the "whim" of
    > the artist?

    "limited edition" is so vague it is meaningless. If you don't want to be
    put in an awkward situation when someone asks you about it I would drop
    it. And it's pretentious.

    Anyway, do you really think you will sell 50 prints?

    And the term really only applies to photography a complex
    photo-mechanical process called ³offset lithography".
    http://ernstgallery.com/faq.html#one

    Since you can only really make one original photographic print it makes
    sense.

    > It's also a little difficult to come up with initial prices for work. I use
    > LightJet print for my output, which is a fairly expensive, but high-quality
    > output on high quality paper (acid-free, 100-200 year life). The prints will
    > be in the vicinit of $30 to $90 depending on size; at least double that
    > again for framing. So, if I'm investing $120 in a framed print, is is
    > reasonable to ask $250 to $300 for the piece?

    If you gave a sample of your work it would help. But rare is the person
    who will lay that kind of change ($250) down for a print in a coffee
    shop. At your costs I would charge $150.

    Don't do it for the money if it's not you're main income. Often selling
    at cost gets you more exposure.

    > I would appreciate any feedback from others in the field who have gone this
    > route...
    >
    > thanks for any helpful advice ...
    >
    > Gary

    *
    Photographs by Christian Bonanno
    http://christianbonanno.com/

    Christian Bonanno, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Christian Bonanno" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cSX_e.317683$on1.115643@clgrps13>,
    > "Gary" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Recently I was given an opportunity to showcase some of my graphic art
    >> and
    >> photography at a local cafe.
    >> Since I've never done this before, I thought I would ask questions about
    >> few things that mystify me.
    >>
    >> When photographers are selling their prints at galleries, cafe's
    >> exhibitions, etc ... do they put any kind of a "signature" on the work
    >> (name, initials, copyright info etc?). I would have to layer this onto
    >> the
    >> images before I got them printed. Most painters put a "signature" on
    >> their
    >> work; is it reasonable for a photographer or graphic artist to do the
    >> same?

    > The signature, if desired, is placed on the mat, no on the photograph.

    thanks for that. same for graphic artwork? (assume you refer to photos)

    > "limited edition" is so vague it is meaningless. If you don't want to be
    > put in an awkward situation when someone asks you about it I would drop
    > it. And it's pretentious.

    This is also good, solid no-nonsense advice. I like it.

    > Anyway, do you really think you will sell 50 prints?

    I like to think Big. I also enjoy the music of "bursting bubbles". :)

    Gary

    Gary, Sep 30, 2005