show running-config does not display real configuration

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Daniel Eyholzer, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Hi there

    I have a 7204 router running IOS 12.2 that does not display the real
    configuration when I use the show runnning-config command.

    An example is the interface configuration, all what show run displays is
    the following:
    interface FastEthernet0/0
    duplex full

    But if I use show interfaces fastEthernet 0/0 I see that there is an ip
    address assigned to this interface and I can ping and connect to it. If I
    look at the startup-config it looks okay. I can see the ip address for this
    interface and other configuration options that are not shown in the
    running-config. I have done a copy startup-config running-config but this
    did not help. The configuration is still not displayed.

    Anyone have had the same problem? Any idea what could be the problem and
    how to solve it?

    Thanks, Daniel

    Daniel Eyholzer, Dec 1, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Daniel Eyholzer <> wrote:
    :I have a 7204 router running IOS 12.2 that does not display the real
    :configuration when I use the show runnning-config command.

    :An example is the interface configuration, all what show run displays is
    :the following:
    :interface FastEthernet0/0
    : duplex full

    :But if I use show interfaces fastEthernet 0/0 I see that there is an ip
    :address assigned to this interface and I can ping and connect to it.

    I can't say what the difficulty -really- is, but that behaviour is
    one that would be observed if the device were running out of memory,
    which can happen due to certain denial of service attacks if your
    IOS is more than roughly 1 year old. There are other ways of running
    out of memory, such as trying to do full BGP without having enough
    RAM to hold the tables.
    --
    Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
    Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

    Walter Roberson, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Daniel Eyholzer <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi there
    >

    > I have a 7204 router running IOS 12.2 that does not display the real
    > configuration when I use the show runnning-config command.
    >
    > An example is the interface configuration, all what show run displays is
    > the following:
    > interface FastEthernet0/0
    > duplex full
    >
    > But if I use show interfaces fastEthernet 0/0 I see that there is an ip
    > address assigned to this interface and I can ping and connect to it. If I
    > look at the startup-config it looks okay. I can see the ip address for this
    > interface and other configuration options that are not shown in the
    > running-config. I have done a copy startup-config running-config but this
    > did not help. The configuration is still not displayed.
    >
    > Anyone have had the same problem? Any idea what could be the problem and
    > how to solve it?
    >

    > Thanks, Daniel

    Just an "off-the-cuff" thought, but I would try running "show
    derived-config interface fa0/0". Also, if you could post the entire
    config, it would be more helpful.

    HTH,

    Richard

    Richard Graves, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Daniel Eyholzer

    Ben Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Daniel Eyholzer <> wrote:
    > :I have a 7204 router running IOS 12.2 that does not display the real
    > :configuration when I use the show runnning-config command.
    >
    > :An example is the interface configuration, all what show run displays is
    > :the following:
    > :interface FastEthernet0/0
    > : duplex full
    >
    > :But if I use show interfaces fastEthernet 0/0 I see that there is an ip
    > :address assigned to this interface and I can ping and connect to it.
    >
    > I can't say what the difficulty -really- is, but that behaviour is
    > one that would be observed if the device were running out of memory,
    > which can happen due to certain denial of service attacks if your
    > IOS is more than roughly 1 year old. There are other ways of running
    > out of memory, such as trying to do full BGP without having enough
    > RAM to hold the tables.

    I think Walter is spot on - memory or IOS bug

    Ben, Dec 2, 2004
  5. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:09:51 +0000, Walter Roberson wrote:

    > I can't say what the difficulty -really- is, but that behaviour is one
    > that would be observed if the device were running out of memory, which
    > can happen due to certain denial of service attacks if your IOS is more
    > than roughly 1 year old. There are other ways of running out of memory,
    > such as trying to do full BGP without having enough RAM to hold the
    > tables.

    Typically though, if there is a memory shortage you see none of the
    config because IOS tries to allocate a big enough buffer to hold the
    entire running-config at the start. If it fails you get nothing.

    What is the answer to the "show privilege" command. If it's less than 15
    you may be seeing the other common, and confusing, situation where you can
    only see those parts of the running configuration that you are able to
    change.

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin

    Martin Gallagher, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Daniel Eyholzer <> wrote:
    > I have a 7204 router running IOS 12.2 that does not display the real
    > configuration when I use the show runnning-config command.

    Thanks for your replies, the router was running out of memory.

    Daniel

    Daniel Eyholzer, Dec 3, 2004