Show commands

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by James, Jun 20, 2007.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a problem at work that is getting a little bit personal now. We
    have an application that spans our local network (the web part) and the
    database where the usernames come from (over a VPN, 100Mb).

    This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
    are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
    engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.

    I have been thinking, is the 4506 getting over-loaded, or are the
    un-contended blades using up too much of their backplane? Is there a
    show command that will tell me how much bandwidth is being used for the
    blade involved? I've been looking for this fault now for ages and am now
    lost.

    I have Cisco Works LMS 2.6 if that helps, but I'm not a complete expert
    on the fault-finding side of it.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Kind regards

    James M
    James, Jun 20, 2007

  2. James

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jun 20, 6:32 pm, James <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a problem at work that is getting a little bit personal now. We
    > have an application that spans our local network (the web part) and the
    > database where the usernames come from (over a VPN, 100Mb).
    >
    > This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
    > are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
    > engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.
    >
    > I have been thinking, is the 4506 getting over-loaded, or are the
    > un-contended blades using up too much of their backplane? Is there a
    > show command that will tell me how much bandwidth is being used for the
    > blade involved? I've been looking for this fault now for ages and am now
    > lost.
    >
    > I have Cisco Works LMS 2.6 if that helps, but I'm not a complete expert
    > on the fault-finding side of it.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > James M

    What is failing? Logon? Database replication? Transfer? Queries or
    transactions? In my years, I have seen a handful of switch problems,
    but mostly these are related to bad modules, bad ports, bad ASICs,
    etc. Generally speaking, your switch will not be getting overloaded
    unless you are running some hardcore stuff like multiple gig ether-
    channel database replication, and even then, multiple sessions. Not
    to say that folks can't nail a switch with poor configuration
    (spanning vlans or trunks, etc).

    Where does the VPN go? What kind of bandwidth is it? 100 meg tells
    me the fast ethernet connection to the VPN, but does not tell me if
    that is LAN or WAN and where the other side of the VPN is. If this
    VPN is over a internet T1, and the transaction that fails is a gig
    file transfer to kick off the day, then you may be hitting a
    bottleneck, but generally speaking, nothing should 'fail'. I guess if
    someone is nailing the pipe and this is a sensitive application, it
    could be timing out, but that is what needs to be analyzed.

    Is the transaction that fails run at other times of the day? Does it
    complete successfully? How do you get beyond the error, wait and
    retry? Once we see some answers, we can hopefully go to the next
    steps...but I would very much doubt that you have a switch backplane
    or hardware problem here.
    Trendkill, Jun 21, 2007

  3. James

    J.Cottingim Guest

    > This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
    > are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
    > engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.

    Have you been able to predict the time that it fails based on past
    failures.
    You may be looking at a time out of some sort. My guess would be the
    VPN. Is it an IPSec VPN?
    What kind of LAN network do you have? If you have any LANE, I've known
    some weird things to happen sscop.

    Have you tried implementing QoS on the VPN? Is there any other traffic
    in compitition for bandwidth with the VPN?

    I have to agree with Trendkill... it's not a switch problem - unless
    all the applications that flow through the switch fails at the same
    time.

    It seems there are more questions than answers here.

    JC
    J.Cottingim, Jun 21, 2007
  4. James

    James Guest

    All,

    Thank you for the replys. This is my setup,

    two clustered 6509s feeding with etherchannel a 4506. The core via a
    firewall has a 100Mb link to another site. The application that had a
    problem was a web server based on our site, that got the username and
    password from the other site. Things were timing out when connecting
    early in the morning.

    On chatting with a few of our systems guys, it was apparent there were a
    few more problems than just this, and it all started happening the time
    our SAN was introduced. I had a look where our SAN was patched onto our
    4506, and all the network cards for it had been put onto a 48 port,
    contended blade and not one of the uncontended blades. Basically lots of
    our servers weren't spread out evenly enough over the switch, so I had a
    sort out, and so far, things are a lot better.

    Next time I ask a question I'll supply a lot more detail, but at the
    time of writing, I just wanted to get something down.

    Many thanks

    James

    James, Jun 23, 2007