ShoutFactory goofs up Punky Brewster again (season 2)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by dvdguy2@webtv.net, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
    stereo, but

    ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    EXCEPT one.

    The ONLY episode of Punky Brewser that is in the orginal sereo on the
    dvd set is the episode titled "Urban Fear" (disc 3).

    And it's good sounding stereo also.

    All of the other season 2 episodes of

    season 2 of "Punky Brewster" should sound like 'Urban Fear".

    but they're all mono copies of the original stereo broadcasts except
    "Urban Fear" which is in the actual stereo it was made in.

    Ironically, even all of the episodes specificlly marked "in stereo" on
    the discss are all in mono, when they should be in stereo.

    Looking up dvd reviews on the internet, it seems that all of the dvd
    copies have the same sound.

    so exchanging it at the store for another set of the same won't do any
    good.

    And the stores won't accept a return for refund since it's been opened.

    And the stores won't accept it as defective since their machines show
    it's not defective and plays fine on their machines without skipping.

    I consider it defective since they are not in the original stereo they
    were made and broadcast in , except for the one episode.

    I feel ripped off now.

    Since the stores won't accept returns on opened dvd's, once again
    consumers end up being the ones unfairly paying for the companies'
    mistakes.

    But I don't really want a cash refund. I'm not trying to rip them off by
    returning it after watching every episode. (Pus the stores w't accept
    areturn o it,anyway). What I really want is a free exchange for a season
    2 dvd set with every seasn 2 episode wth the original stereo sound the
    way it's supposd to be.

    And none of the remixed garbage either, unless the orginal stereo track
    is included on every season 2 episode that oriinally had it.. And as I
    remember, the entire season 2 of Punky Brewster was originally in
    stereo.

    but for the dvd, someone seems to have used mono copies of the original
    stereo brodcasts

    Granted the outside of the package doesn't say anything about the
    sound. which makes me think someone knew and decided to use them anyway
    thinking we wouldn't notice since many of the early stereo tv shows have
    had mono copies airing in syndicated reruns for years now ever since
    they first went into syndication.'

    On the other hand, (and I think this is more likely what really
    probably happened) since mono copies have been airing for years, they
    might just have been ignorant and decided to slap any old copies they
    could find onto the dvd's without checking them first.

    since at least one episode on the dvd (in the middle), "Urban Fear" is
    in it's actual original stereo.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm still glad I got the set since I wouldn't have
    had these episodes at all any other way, in the best picture quality I
    can.

    but they could have done a lot better. hey coud have give us the
    original stereo versions, but they didn't. They did seem to transfer in
    stereo, but they used mono copies of stereo episodes except for one
    that they used an actual original stereo copy of "Punky Brewster: Urban
    Fear"

    season 1 was okay in mono since it was made and aired that way. Season 2
    isn't okay in mono since it was made and aired in stereo.

    This would be like releasing all of the season episodes of a modern
    color show in black and white on dvd except for one epiode on the dvd
    being in it's original color version. (such as if every episode of
    Smallville was lack and white on the dvd excep one episode after knowing
    they were made and aired and seeig them in it's original color version
    on tv.

    If you have the dvd set and want to know what season 2 should sound like
    then watch

    "Punky Brewster: Urban Fear"

    through your stereo amp.

    That' seems to be the ONLY episode on the season 2 dvd set in the way it
    should be.

    And it doesn't seem to be related to production order either, for
    several reasons, after I checked the discs.

    the "fresh prince of bel air" also originally aired in stereo but at
    least the box for that tells you that those stereo episodes are "mono"
    on the disc altough it doesn't tell you that they originally aired in
    stereo.

    This trend of releaing tv shows that oriinally aired in stereo in mono
    on dvd sets has got to stop. (but probably won't).

    it's like releasing tv shows that originally aired in color in black and
    white on dvd sets.

    It seems like the Fresh Prince set was intentionally released in mono
    when it should have been the original stereo, so

    I have to give the Punky Brewster set a higher (better) rating since it
    seems like they did intend to release it in it's original version
    (stereo0, but seems like they somehow made a mistake and goofed up by
    using mono copies of stereo episodst episode "Uan Fear" that they
    actually somehow managed to use the correct copy of.

    I believe it was an honest unintentional mistake on Shout Factory's
    part, for certain reasons after watching and listening to the dvd's.

    But I'm not sure whose fault it actually is. ShoutFactory's, NBC's, or
    Sony's,or a combination of two or more.

    But as far as I'm concerned, it's a big goof-up they did this time. I
    consider this even more of a goof up than leaving the last chapter off
    one of the cartoons in the season 1 set (althoug Im sre some people will
    probably think leaving the last chapter off one of the cartoons in the
    season 1 set is the bigger goof-up).

    Although I do think it was an honest mistake and not intentional.

    And I guess I really can't complain since the box didn't specifically
    say "in stereo" on it, but when it says "season 2", I expect to get the
    entire season 2, not just part of it.

    Mono cancels out some naturally heard out-of-phase signals of stereo
    recordings, which might explain some of the complaints by other people
    about some hard to hear sounds in a few places in the set.

    Anyway, as it stands so far, the ONLY episode on the season 2 set that
    ACTUALLY IS IN IT"S ORIGINAL FORMAT LIKE IT SHOULD BE IS

    "PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR"

    "PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR"

    "PUNKY BREWSTER: URBAN FEAR

    , Feb 11, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrotr: Now...which's worse: SF making a minor problem,

    This "minor problem" is becoming a trrend on too many dvd sets. the
    "minor problem" of releasing mono episodes of tv episodes that
    originally aired in stereo.

    such as season 1 of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. And some others that
    I can't currently remember the titles of.

    But by following your logic, it's a "minor problem" for the dvd
    companies to release the season sets of "Alias" and "Smallville" in only
    black and white instead of the color that they were originally aired in.

    (If that had of happened).

    But don't worry, even though the shows originally aired in color,
    releasing them on dvd in only black and white is only a "minor problem"
    and you should be glad to have the episodes of "Alias" and "Smallville"
    in black and white on dvd, withouut being able to get a monetary regund
    at all, and without being able to exchange them for copies that have the
    episodes in color as they originally aired.
    Being in black and white instead of their original color is only a
    "minor problem".

    and it doesn't matter what or how the director or producer intended it
    to be. Alias and Smallville being only in black and white on dvd is only
    a "minor problem"

    I don't mind black and white shows being in black and white on dvd and I
    don't mind mono shows being in mono on dvd, but I would and do mind if a
    color show was in black and white on dvd and when stereo shows are in
    mono on dvd.

    And I know most of you in the dvd newsgroup would be complaining if they
    released a 5.1 surround sound movie in only mono on dvd, provided you
    liked the movie.

    and I know most of you in the dvd newsgroup would be complaining if they
    released a black and white movie in only a colorized version on dvd.

    , Feb 11, 2005

  3. Guest

    If the Smallville dvd's were

    hypothetical question: What would you do if the Smallville dvd's were
    released only in mono on dvd, after hearing the episodes in stereo or
    surround sound on tv?

    And you couldn't exchange them for 5.1 copies since the manufacturer
    goofed by using only mono copies of the episodes you knew were made in
    stereo surround.

    And you couldn't return them to the store for a monetary refund either,
    because the stores won't accept a return them since they have already
    been opened.

    so you're stuck with a dvd of Smallville episodes in mono when you know
    they should be either stereo or surround sound.

    Would you consider this only a "minor problem" with the dvd's?

    or a "major problem" with the dvd's?

    or someting else?

    What would you do if this had of hapened.

    It hasn't happened with the Smallville dvd's yet that I'm aware of, but
    what would you do if it did happen to you?

    , Feb 11, 2005

  5. wrote:

    > Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    > Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
    > stereo, but
    >
    > ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    > EXCEPT one.

    Now...which's worse:

    SF making a minor problem, or publicly admitting that you actually
    BOUGHT Punky Brewster, Season 2?

    Think about it.

    Derek Janssen (y'know, sometimes being an Angry Usenet Fanboy carries a
    heavy price to pay)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 11, 2005
  6. crystalskull Guest

    Re: If the Smallville dvd's were

    >What would you do if the Smallville dvd's were
    released only in mono on dvd, after hearing the episodes in stereo or
    surround sound on tv?

    I would kill myself.

    crystalskull, Feb 11, 2005
  7. me Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > This "minor problem" is becoming a trrend on too many dvd sets. the
    > "minor problem" of releasing mono episodes of tv episodes that
    > originally aired in stereo.

    another problem is not having episodes uncut. Especially on a set
    that specifically says 'uncut' (I'm speaking about the Ren and Stimpy
    set) The "Mr Bean: The Whole Bean" set is also not uncut. (I've
    compared a couple episodes to ones I had on tape from PBS.)

    me, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Larry Guest

    In article <QTYOd.103$>, says...
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    > > Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
    > > stereo, but
    > >
    > > ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    > > EXCEPT one.

    > Now...which's worse:
    >
    > SF making a minor problem, or publicly admitting that you actually
    > BOUGHT Punky Brewster, Season 2?
    >
    > Think about it.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (y'know, sometimes being an Angry Usenet Fanboy carries a
    > heavy price to pay)

    I will send money to make sure NOBODY EVER SENDS ME "Punky Brewster"

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Guest

    wrote:
    > Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    > Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be

    in
    > stereo, but
    >
    > ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    > EXCEPT one.

    Why do you give a shit about the sound? You only need the picture when
    you're masturbating to her.

    , Feb 11, 2005
  10. Biz Guest

    Re: If the Smallville dvd's were

    That is so hypothetical that it wouldnt happen...plus in NE Ohio, they are
    broadcast in mono on Cleveland's WB station which I believe is still SD
    only..

    Biz, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Hank Guest

    Rumor has it that me put forth the following:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> This "minor problem" is becoming a trrend on too many dvd sets. the
    >> "minor problem" of releasing mono episodes of tv episodes that
    >> originally aired in stereo.

    >another problem is not having episodes uncut. Especially on a set
    >that specifically says 'uncut' (I'm speaking about the Ren and Stimpy
    >set) The "Mr Bean: The Whole Bean" set is also not uncut. (I've
    >compared a couple episodes to ones I had on tape from PBS.)

    And the Mary Tyler Moore Season One supposedly is not uncut as well.

    --

    Hank
    Dallas, TX "Religion is a smile on a dog..." (New Bohs)

    Hank, Feb 11, 2005
  12. Guest

    crystalskull wrote:

    > I would kill myself.

    I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while holding a
    lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of Pop-Rocks in
    the other.

    -Eric

    , Feb 11, 2005
  13. ShadowRaptor Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > crystalskull wrote:
    >
    > > I would kill myself.

    > I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while holding a
    > lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of Pop-Rocks in
    > the other.

    Ha, you young pups! I would simply stop my Corvair in the middle of traffic
    and wait for someone to hit it :)

    Rob
    Canada

    ShadowRaptor, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Guest

    ShadowRaptor wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > crystalskull wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would kill myself.

    > > I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while

    holding a
    > > lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of

    Pop-Rocks in
    > > the other.

    > Ha, you young pups! I would simply stop my Corvair in the middle of

    traffic
    > and wait for someone to hit it :)
    >
    > Rob
    > Canada

    Why - I would hop in my SUV and drive madly down freeway traffic
    looking for a stopped Corvair to ram into, resulting in a massive
    explosion which would send my SUV wildly flipping over a cliff and
    ultimately landing on a burning Ford Pinto, while holding a lit stick
    of dynamite in one hand, chewing a mouthfull of Pop-Rocks AND chugging
    a soda!

    , Feb 11, 2005
  15. Jon Purkey Guest

    On 11 Feb 2005 09:54:41 -0800, wrote:

    >crystalskull wrote:
    >
    >> I would kill myself.

    >I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while holding a
    >lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of Pop-Rocks in
    >the other.

    Soda and Pop-Rocks are not lethal.(at least according to Mythbusters)
    Try vinegar and baking soda.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Taylor Pratt Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    >> Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be in
    >> stereo, but
    >>
    >> ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    >> EXCEPT one.

    > Now...which's worse:
    >
    > SF making a minor problem, or publicly admitting that you actually
    > BOUGHT Punky Brewster, Season 2?
    >
    > Think about it.

    Rather admit to buying PB season 2 than ANY season of 'The Simple Life'. :p

    Taylor Pratt, Feb 12, 2005
  17. Taylor Pratt Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Unlike season 1 which was made and ared in mono, season 2 of Punky
    >>Brewster was made in and aired in stereo. So I expected seasn 2 to be

    > in
    >
    >>stereo, but
    >>
    >>ALL of the episodes on the season 2 Punky Brewster dvd set are mono
    >>EXCEPT one.

    > Why do you give a shit about the sound? You only need the picture when
    > you're masturbating to her.

    I actually did that once during a first-run episode. Shortly after that,
    I became a very, very gay boy and later a very, very gay teen and now
    I'm a very, very gay man.

    Further proof: PUNKY BREWSTER MAKES YOU GAY!!!

    (I masturbated at a glimpse of her "outie" bellybutton)

    Taylor Pratt, Feb 12, 2005
  18. Taylor Pratt Guest

    wrote:

    > crystalskull wrote:
    >

    >>I would kill myself.

    > I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while holding a
    > lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of Pop-Rocks in
    > the other.
    >
    > -Eric

    Well, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH... unless you swallow some
    chewing gum while doing that, it won't make a difference!

    Hmm... I guess the soda pop will make the gum disolve in 7 years. Still,
    that's a LONG TIME to be sitting there at the bottom of the cliff.

    Taylor Pratt, Feb 12, 2005
  19. The Time Has Come, Taylor Pratt said
    To Talk Of Many Things...

    >> Why do you give a shit about the sound? You only need the picture when
    >> you're masturbating to her.
    >>

    >I actually did that once during a first-run episode. Shortly after that,
    >I became a very, very gay boy and later a very, very gay teen and now
    >I'm a very, very gay man.
    >
    >Further proof: PUNKY BREWSTER MAKES YOU GAY!!!
    >
    >(I masturbated at a glimpse of her "outie" bellybutton)

    Maybe it's outie bellybuttons that make you gay.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    ...Don't mess with me! I've got jimmies!" --Marge Simpson

    Captain Infinity, Feb 12, 2005
  20. Jay Stewart Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > ShadowRaptor wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > I can top that. I would drive my Ford Pinto off a cliff while

    > holding a
    > > > lit stick of dynamite in one hand and a soda and packet of

    > Pop-Rocks in
    > > > the other.

    > > Ha, you young pups! I would simply stop my Corvair in the middle of

    > traffic
    > > and wait for someone to hit it :)
    > >
    > > Rob
    > > Canada

    > Why - I would hop in my SUV and drive madly down freeway traffic
    > looking for a stopped Corvair to ram into, resulting in a massive
    > explosion which would send my SUV wildly flipping over a cliff and
    > ultimately landing on a burning Ford Pinto, while holding a lit stick
    > of dynamite in one hand, chewing a mouthfull of Pop-Rocks AND chugging
    > a soda!

    I'd run down the stairs with a pair of scissors in my hand.

    Jay Stewart, Feb 12, 2005