    up at the odd camera store one day.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Ron Hardin <> wrote:
    : Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    : on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

    : I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    : and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

    : You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    : up at the odd camera store one day.

    You might try looking under video camera supports. I may have found
    something of what you are describing at B&H. Look at the Sima SVP-3 chest
    support (B&H # SISVP3). There are lots of video camera chest supports
    under Consumer video tripods/stabilizers & Sholder Brackets/Handheld &
    Sholder stabilizers. Maybe with a few brand names you could then search
    the web for anything that more suits your intended use. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Ron Hardin

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:58 GMT, Ron Hardin <> wrote:

    > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
    >
    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    > and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
    >
    > You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    > up at the odd camera store one day.

    Have a look at monopods.
    , Oct 17, 2005
  4. Ron Hardin

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
    >
    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    > and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
    >
    > You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    > up at the odd camera store one day.

    Check out:
    http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm
    Lots of different styles and models.
    Cool and compact but not cheap.
    If you are handy with tools you just might pick up an old 22 rifle or BB
    gun at a flea market and salvage the gunstock. Then install a 1/4 X 20
    tripod screw at the appropriate spot.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Ron Hardin

    biker2 Guest

    and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

    Steve
    biker2, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Ron Hardin wrote:
    > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
    >
    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or
    > gone, and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
    >
    > You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    > up at the odd camera store one day.

    http://www.shortcourses.com/equipment/tripods/4-other.htm

    My brother made one as I recall. Not too hard to do and it should be a
    custom fit.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Ron Hardin

    Guest

    biker2 wrote:

    > and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

    It's basically impossible to mis-identify shoulder-stocked optics for a
    firearm, though governments all over the world do it on a regularly
    basis anyways. Can't let that information escape "into the wild",
    don'tchaknow.
    , Oct 17, 2005
  8. Ron Hardin

    Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:

    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    > and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

    Steadicam?

    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

    That's for motion picture stuff though. There is also an article in a
    recent Sky&Telescope (last two months) about a passive binocular
    stabilizer that is "shoulder mounted".
    , Oct 17, 2005
  9. Ron Hardin

    C Wright Guest

    On 10/17/05 2:01 AM, in article , "Ron Hardin"
    <> wrote:

    > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
    >
    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    > and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
    >
    > You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    > up at the odd camera store one day.

    You have already received several good recommendations for stabilizer
    devices but I am surprised that no one, so far, has recommended IS lenses.
    You don't mention what kind of camera or lens you want to stabilize but if
    you have a Canon or Nikon mount camera several good lens' are available with
    built in image stabilization.
    C Wright, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Ron Hardin

    Bob Salomon Guest

    > > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

    Novoflex makes a very good one called a PISTOCK-C

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Oct 17, 2005
  11. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Thanks for replies -

    Experimenting just now, I find I do very well with just a 14"
    length of scrap 5/8"x2" wood with a thumbscrew though the end
    in the 5/8" direction. Screw camera on top.

    Put this OVER your shoulder, clamp down with your cheek (which is
    necessary to see through the viewfinder anyway) and it's vibration-free
    as far as I can tell. Anyway I just got 50 crips pics from it,
    without the usual high loss rate, even panning slowly (to follow the
    dog).

    This will fit nicely on my bike for constant carrying; the only mystery at
    the moment being how to keep the thumbscrew from falling out and
    getting lost. Rubberbanding it is the temporary measure.

    Sony DCS-P93

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Oct 17, 2005
  12. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > getting lost. Rubberbanding it is the temporary measure.

    Aha. Drill a just-too-small hole in the 2" direction and screw the thumbscrew
    into that for safekeeping. So I have ``just a piece of wood'' with a single
    screw doing the whole job.

    --
    Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin, Oct 17, 2005
  13. "Ron Hardin" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
    >
    > I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
    > and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
    >
    > You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
    > up at the odd camera store one day.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hardin
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Do you mean a Rifle Grip? Kaiser make them (or used to)

    You do need a cable release feature on your camera to use it.

    **SS**
    Secret Squiddle, Oct 17, 2005
  14. On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:58 GMT, Ron Hardin <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    >on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

    Take a look at:

    http://www.jamesarnett.com/3-3-6.html

    Cheap, very easy to make and works as well as some gadgets costing
    hundreds. Has the same effect as IS or VR lenses and reduces
    vibrations for about two stops on still or movie/tv cameras.

    Dave
    East Englewood
    ---------------------------------------
    The proof is in the print.
    Dave-East Englewood, Nov 5, 2005
  15. Ron Hardin

    irwell Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:03:49 GMT, Dave-East Englewood
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:58 GMT, Ron Hardin <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
    >>on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

    >Take a look at:
    >
    >http://www.jamesarnett.com/3-3-6.html
    >
    >Cheap, very easy to make and works as well as some gadgets costing
    >hundreds. Has the same effect as IS or VR lenses and reduces
    >vibrations for about two stops on still or movie/tv cameras.
    >
    >Dave
    >East Englewood
    >The proof is in the print.

    Thanks for the info, interesting site,
    Just wondering about adding a collar with
    a set screw and a weight to a monopod to achieve
    a similar result.
    irwell, Nov 6, 2005