    Do you think Academy member will show a little backbone and give it an
    Oscar nod?
    Eddie
    Edward Holub, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Edward Holub

    Jordan Guest

    Not a chance. It will get the usual snubs. At best it will get
    nominated for costumes, cinematography, makeup, etc.

    A good example, 1982, the most influential movie of that generation was
    Blade Runner.

    http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1982/academy-awards

    Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
    Winner:

    * Gandhi (1982) - Stuart Craig (I); Robert W. Laing; Michael
    Seirton

    Other Nominees:
    # Annie (1982) - Dale Hennesy; Marvin March
    # Blade Runner (1982) - Lawrence G. Paull; David L. Snyder; Linda
    DeScenna
    # Traviata, La (1982) - Franco Zeffirelli; Gianni Quaranta
    # Victor/Victoria (1982) - Rodger Maus; Tim Hutchinson (I); William
    Craig Smith; Harry Cordwell

    Best Effects, Visual Effects
    Winner:

    * E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Carlo Rambaldi; Dennis Muren;
    Kenneth Smith (I)

    Other Nominees:
    # Blade Runner (1982) - Douglas Trumbull; Richard Yuricich; David
    Dryer
    # Poltergeist (1982) - Richard Edlund; Michael Wood (IV); Bruce
    Nicholson

    I'm still pissed.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Aug 17, 2005

  3. Edward Holub

    TB Guest

    "Edward Holub" wrote:

    > So far, my favorite film of the year, better than Batman Begins.
    > Do you think Academy member will show a little backbone and give it an
    > Oscar nod?

    No. Much as I like Frank Miller's comics' stuff and much as I admire how
    faithfully Rodriguez and Miller (and Tarantino) captured the very essence of
    the Sin City comics, I can't say it's anywhere near the best movie that's
    been released this year. In fact, it's *so* faithful to the comics, that it
    illustrates what does and more importantly what doesn't work between the two
    mediums when bringing a comic to film without taking some serious liberties
    with the original material.

    T.B.
    TB, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Edward Holub

    BigJim Guest

    great movie but no Oscar nomination for best movie

    BigJim, Aug 19, 2005