    i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
    focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase? many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

    ---

    tbm, May 4, 2004

  2. tbm

    Colm Guest

    What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
    capturing excellent photos.

    --
    Colm

    Colm, May 4, 2004

  3. tbm

    R2D2 Guest

    "Colm" <> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
    182697.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
    > capturing excellent photos.

    He is probably referring to the focus problems encountered when using 3rd
    party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS USM lenses work great.

    R2D2, May 4, 2004
  4. tbm

    Rick Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > hi group,
    > i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

    concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
    > focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

    many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

    Buy it. I have one and it works 100% for me. Great camera and an amazing
    buy for the money.

    Rick, May 4, 2004
  5. tbm

    tbm Guest

    "Colm" <> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
    182697.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable of
    > capturing excellent photos.
    >

    >He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using 3rd
    >party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
    >USM lenses work great.

    no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
    all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like this with my trusty s602z.

    ---

    tbm, May 4, 2004
  6. tbm

    dslr Guest

    tbm wrote:
    > "Colm" <> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
    > 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    >> What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera,
    >> capable of capturing excellent photos.
    >>

    >> He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when
    >> using 3rd party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
    >> USM lenses work great.

    > no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do
    > not have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not all
    > images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.

    Only if you don't check which of the 7 points have found a focus lock and
    ensured that the area of the frame those cover is that which you want to be
    in focus.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, May 4, 2004
  7. I have the 300d and can heartily endorse it. Sure it takes time to
    learn out to use it properly and for best results don't use 'auto' all
    the time.As for 'soft' images, depends apart from anything else on
    quality of lens used. I upgraded from the Kit lens to a 17-40 'L' and
    the difference was amazing.Buy it if You are prepared to work at using
    it to its best advantage.

    peter clarkson, May 4, 2004
  8. tbm

    paleryder Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > "Colm" <> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
    > 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable

    of
    > > capturing excellent photos.
    > >

    > >He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using

    3rd
    > >party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
    > >USM lenses work great.

    > no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not

    have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
    > all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like

    this with my trusty s602z.

    I have not had that problem. Pay attention to which focal point is
    selected.

    paleryder, May 4, 2004
  9. tbm

    Mark M Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > hi group,
    > i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

    concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
    > focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

    many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

    There's been no talk of this here that I am aware of.

    Many people who are used to digital point-and-shoots are now buying Canon
    DSLRs.
    --They are suddenly confronted with a camera that allows for limited depth
    fo field in ways they are not accustomed to.
    I am convinced that many complaints are simply due to inexperience, and
    unfamiliarity with their new-found "control" over a camera (and focus depth
    in particular) they don't yet understand.

    Mark M, May 5, 2004
  10. tbm

    Mark M Guest

    "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > "Colm" <> wrote in news:c7879j$pcct$1@ID-
    > 182697.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > What reports? 1st I've heard of it. The 300d is a fine camera, capable

    of
    > > capturing excellent photos.
    > >

    > >He is probably referring to the focus >problems encountered when using

    3rd
    > >party (especially Sigma) lenses. All EOS >
    > >USM lenses work great.

    > no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do not

    have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not
    > all images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like

    this with my trusty s602z.

    I believe the Digital Rebel comes out fo the package with the focus points
    set to auto-point-selection. This is not a good way to achieve focus, since
    no camera can read your mind.
    Once you become aware of which point is selected, and then look for focus AT
    THAT POINT in the photo, there are no problems.

    Mark M, May 5, 2004
  11. tbm

    jriegle Guest

    I switch off the outer sensors and use only the center one for most
    shooting. All on sensors are good for action. The outer most sensors are
    near the edge of the frame and can catch unintended objects.

    John

    jriegle, May 5, 2004
  12. tbm

    Guest

    tbm <> wrote:
    > hi group,

    > i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am
    > somewhat concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
    > focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

    If you already have Canon lenses, the 300d is a great purchase. I have
    one and I am thrilled with it. The focus is very crisp and clear.

    , May 5, 2004
  13. tbm

    Guest

    tbm <> wrote:

    > no! i'm talking of the multi 7 point focus thing.apparently if you do
    > not have the focus set to the centre focus point most if not all
    > images are out of focus and pics appear to be soft.i have nothing like
    > this with my trusty s602z.

    Huh? Why don't you stop by a camera store and try out the 300d youself?
    That way, you won't have to go by hearsay.

    , May 5, 2004
  14. tbm

    Searching_ut Guest

    "dslr" <> wrote

    > Only if you don't check which of the 7 points have found a focus lock and
    > ensured that the area of the frame those cover is that which you want to

    be
    > in focus.

    That's been exactly my experience with the camera. While most of the it will
    focus on the closest point, sometimes it picks the brightest spot, best
    contrast spot, or just plain gets confused. Whatever the case may be, it
    lets you know which point it's focusing on, so you can manually select if
    you want it to focus somewhere else.

    Personally, I generally just leave the center point selected, but that's
    just because that's the way I feel the most comfortable with the camera set
    up.

    For what it's worth

    Jeff

    Searching_ut, May 5, 2004
  15. "tbm" <> wrote in message
    > hi group,
    > i am thinking of buying the canon eos 300d my first digi slr.i am somewhat

    concerned about all the postings regards the 300d having
    > focus problems/issue.should i ignore this and go ahead with my purchase?

    many thanks...rgds 2 all from TBM...

    There have been many posts on the 300D forum at dpreview.com. Most have
    been related to lens problems or folks not understanding the multi-point
    focus system. A very few cameras have been reported as being returned as
    they appeared to have technical problems.

    The 300D can be set to a single focus point (most folks choose the center).
    Or, you can half-press the shutter button and the focus point(s) selected by
    the camera light up. If you don't like the camera's choices, simply release
    and half-press again and you will often find different selections.

    The 300D works very well under most conditions but it does require some
    effort on the users part to get the best results. It's certainly not a
    point and shoot device.

    Charles Schuler, May 5, 2004