Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark C, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

    The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    internal IDE drive.)

    The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    to 50min, oscillating about.

    Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    12MBytes/s.

    Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

    Oh well...

    Mark
    Mark C, Mar 19, 2008

  2. In article <03217715$0$14503$>, Mark C did write:

    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

    Depends on the stick. They aren't all the same, and writing speeds can vary
    a lot.

    > Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

    I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 19, 2008

  3. On 19 Mar 2008 09:26:40 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    >The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    >(Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    >internal IDE drive.)
    >
    >The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    >to 50min, oscillating about.
    >
    >Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    >200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    >rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    >12MBytes/s.
    >
    >Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >
    >Oh well...
    >
    >Mark

    Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly kill them, ie ware them out.

    Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these Cheap or no brand ones are very
    slow.

    Toms Hardware had one that was only 2MBytes write.
    Brian Mathews, Mar 19, 2008
  4. Mark C

    thingy Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    > The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    > My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    > (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    > internal IDE drive.)
    >
    > The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    > to 50min, oscillating about.
    >
    > Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    > 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    > rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    > 12MBytes/s.
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >
    > Oh well...
    >
    > Mark

    can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
    crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
    copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
    ports has issues...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Mark C

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Mark C wrote:
    >> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >>
    >> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    >> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    >> internal IDE drive.)
    >>
    >> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    >> to 50min, oscillating about.
    >>
    >> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    >> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    >> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    >> 12MBytes/s.
    >> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >>
    >> Oh well...
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    > can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
    > crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
    > copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
    > ports has issues...
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
    a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
    is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....

    What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
    browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
    25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Mark C

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >>>
    >>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    >>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    >>> internal IDE drive.)
    >>>
    >>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    >>> to 50min, oscillating about.
    >>>
    >>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    >>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    >>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    >>> 12MBytes/s.
    >>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >>>
    >>> Oh well...
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
    >> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
    >> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station
    >> usb ports has issues...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
    > a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
    > is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
    >
    > What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
    > browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
    > 25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives
    > fault.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    I just checked between a usb2 port on the laptop and a usb2 port on the
    docking station and the estimated time is the same...so docking station
    port seems OK.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2008
  7. Hi there,

    Mark C wrote:
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    > The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    > My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    > (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    > internal IDE drive.)
    >
    > The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    > to 50min, oscillating about.
    >
    > Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    > 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    > rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    > 12MBytes/s.

    Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?

    I did the exercise of moving multiple GB's of stuff from
    a desktop PC to my laptop via my 40GB camcorder over usb2.
    Copying the files individually (over 100,000) took ages,
    but another copy I did I zipped them all first - using just
    one (big) zip took probably only a quarter as long to copy
    but the zipping process added most of the time saved back
    on... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 19, 2008
  8. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

    I just tested an older DSE 128MB stick, and could copy the same files
    to it @ 1MBytes/s to 7MBytes/s averaging 4MBytes/s, much faster than
    the 2GB stick (which averaged 400KBytes/s)

    When mounting the 2GB stick, it declared itself to be a hard-disk
    drive: DSE site says: "utilizes an OTi-2168 USB2.0 mass storage class
    controller. This RISC processor based controller makes linear flash
    device arrays look likes a normal disk".
    Perhaps that's getting in the way, or W2K does not like that style of
    driver.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    > I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.

    I'll get my friend to test it on their system.

    Brian Mathews <> wrote in
    > Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly
    > kill them, ie ware them out.

    Noted, thanks.

    > Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these
    > Cheap or no brand ones are very slow.

    No I don't, it just says USB 2.0 Hi-Speed on the DSE website.

    thingy <> wrote in
    > can win2k handle usb2 properly?

    (See above) it has handled it OK so far, fast on my USB external HDD.
    I believe W2K is fully functional re USB2.

    > DSE stuff is some times really crappy....

    I can believe that!

    > What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image
    > to an a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a
    > laptop so the hd is'nt the fastest....so it should take about
    > 10mins for 1.5Gb....

    The server was idle, and had heaps of free memory (~600MB).

    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote in
    > Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?

    About 200 ~8MB (MP3) files.

    Thanks to all.
    Mark C, Mar 20, 2008
  9. On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:28:51 +1300, thingy <> wrote:

    >thingy wrote:
    >> Mark C wrote:
    >>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >>>
    >>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    >>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    >>> internal IDE drive.)
    >>>
    >>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    >>> to 50min, oscillating about.
    >>>
    >>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    >>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    >>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    >>> 12MBytes/s.
    >>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >>>
    >>> Oh well...
    >>>
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
    >> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
    >> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
    >> ports has issues...
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    >What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
    >a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
    >is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
    >
    >What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
    >browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
    >25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >thing

    USB is a CPU Hog...
    Brian Mathews, Mar 20, 2008
  10. Mark C

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <03217715$0$14503$>,
    lid says...
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    > The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    > My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    > (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    > internal IDE drive.)
    >
    > The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    > to 50min, oscillating about.
    >
    > Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    > 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    > rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    > 12MBytes/s.
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

    Yeah, but does your *computer* support USB2. I suspect it is USB 1 or
    1.1 only.

    Control Panel, System, Hardware, Devices - expand the USB controllers -
    and if you don't see the word "enhanced" - you don't have USB2.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 20, 2008
  11. Mark C

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <03217715$0$14503$>,
    lid says...
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    > The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    > My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    > (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    > internal IDE drive.)

    <snip>

    Apologies, didn't read very well did I - it sure sounds like you have
    USB2 on your PC from your USB HDD speeds.

    That said, you still need to ensure that the DSE stick you bought is
    plugged into a USB2 port - ie, is it possible you have USB 1 and 2 ports
    in your computer? Did you put an addon USB card in?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 20, 2008
  12. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark C" typed:
    > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >
    > The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    > My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
    > (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
    > internal IDE drive.)
    >
    > The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
    > to 50min, oscillating about.
    >
    > Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
    > 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
    > rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
    > 12MBytes/s.
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
    >
    > Oh well...

    If you're copying off a data-only drive it'll not take so long. Ditto if you
    walk away and don't access the HDD. Any other HDD access while the transfer
    is taking place will increase it substantially. Maybe it's the media having
    an influence on the speed too. Hang on....

    Copied a 1.4GB folder consisting of around 120 files, mainly .rar from a
    data disk on this machine (XP Pro) to an Imation 2GB USB2 stick while
    continuing to read groups and it took ~6 minutes. It is my experience that
    the number of files greatly influences the transfer time. If it'd been 1K
    files I would have expected 15 minutes+. I'll copy the same file to my OS
    HDD and re-try the experiment....

    Copying from the OS partition/HDD while reading NGs and browsing only took a
    minute or so longer. Then again, I have 7,200rpm/16MB cache SATA II drives
    with NCQ enabled.

    I guess it takes as long as it takes. <shrug>
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 20, 2008
  13. Mark C

    thingy Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:28:51 +1300, thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >> thingy wrote:

    >>> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
    >>> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
    >>> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
    >>> ports has issues...
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing
    >>>

    >> What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
    >> a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
    >> is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
    >>
    >> What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
    >> browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
    >> 25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing
    >>

    > USB is a CPU Hog...

    I was running task manger and looking for that, didnt get past 5~10%....

    Tomshardware? also commented that not all USB chipsets are as good as
    one another once you have more than one devise transferring on the same
    bus....poor USB chipsets bottleneck, apparently Intel's are some of the
    best for multiple i/o.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 20, 2008
  14. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > In article <03217715$0$14503$>,
    > lid says...
    >> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >>
    >> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB
    >> ports. (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying
    >> from the internal IDE drive.)

    > <snip>
    >
    > That said, you still need to ensure that the DSE stick you
    > bought is plugged into a USB2 port - ie, is it possible you have
    > USB 1 and 2 ports in your computer? Did you put an addon USB
    > card in?

    I wondered about that, especially since the Device Manager mentioned
    a separate "USB Hub" and "USB 2.0 Hub".
    But moving it to the rear ports the HDD was on didn't help, and
    testing the original port with another stick showed 10.5MBytes/s
    reading, which can only be USB2.

    --
    Mark
    Mark C, Mar 20, 2008
  15. Mark C

    J Brockley Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Doe <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <03217715$0$14503$>,
    >> lid says...
    >>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
    >>>
    >>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
    >>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB
    >>> ports. (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying
    >>> from the internal IDE drive.)

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> That said, you still need to ensure that the DSE stick you
    >> bought is plugged into a USB2 port - ie, is it possible you have
    >> USB 1 and 2 ports in your computer? Did you put an addon USB
    >> card in?

    > I wondered about that, especially since the Device Manager mentioned
    > a separate "USB Hub" and "USB 2.0 Hub".
    > But moving it to the rear ports the HDD was on didn't help, and
    > testing the original port with another stick showed 10.5MBytes/s
    > reading, which can only be USB2.
    >
    > --
    > Mark

    Its probably simply the price you paid for the USB stick. Write performance
    varies greatly and this is why you can pay significantly different prices
    for the same capacity even from the same manufacturer. Kingston for example
    does the same capacity from cheap to expensive and the difference is down to
    read/write performance.
    J Brockley, Mar 20, 2008
  16. Mark C

    Cima Guest

    Re: USB2 memory stick speed tests

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:24:38 +1200, Brian Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >So these Cheap sticks are just Crap. and I am surprised that the Cheap Rundisk brand beats the
    >Imation Nano by 50%

    So the cheap one isn't "crap" then?
    Cima, Apr 8, 2008
  17. Re: USB2 memory stick speed tests

    In article <>, Cima <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:24:38 +1200, Brian Mathews
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>So these Cheap sticks are just Crap. and I am surprised that the Cheap Rundisk

    > brand beats the
    >>Imation Nano by 50%

    >So the cheap one isn't "crap" then?

    Again, he's trying to relate price to quality by assumption. Again, we know
    this is so often, not so these days. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 9, 2008
  18. Re: USB2 memory stick speed tests

    In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > 1.35 Gigs 16 Files 1.3 Min's FAT 16
    > 1Gig Rundisk 10 files 953 megs 2.14 Min's FAT32
    > 1Gig Imation Nano
    > 10 files 953 megs 4.45 Min's FAT 16
    > Ditto FAT 32

    Did you try sector-level transfers, to take the filesystem out of the
    equation?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  19. Re: USB2 memory stick speed tests

    In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:51:41 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >>write:
    >>
    >>> 1.35 Gigs 16 Files 1.3 Min's FAT 16
    >>> 1Gig Rundisk 10 files 953 megs 2.14 Min's FAT32
    >>> 1Gig Imation Nano
    >>> 10 files 953 megs 4.45 Min's FAT 16
    >>> Ditto FAT 32

    >>Did you try sector-level transfers, to take the filesystem out of the
    >>equation?

    > I was doing actual Real world live tests not some imaginary ones.

    You haven't any idea what I'm talking about, have you?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 9, 2008
  20. Mark C

    J Brockley Guest

    > In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 16:51:41 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>, Brian Mathews
    >>>did
    >>>write:

    >>>Did you try sector-level transfers, to take the filesystem out of the
    >>>equation?

    >> I was doing actual Real world live tests not some imaginary ones.

    > You haven't any idea what I'm talking about, have you?

    I think he did, just didn't care.
    J Brockley, Apr 9, 2008