Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Just me., Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Just me.

    Just me. Guest

    I got this (below) in my email today.

    I don't recognise the recipient, and I would certainly never send banned
    content.

    Do I have a virus, should I worry?

    Thanks in advance.

    HAND

    Jessica

    Incident Information:-

    Database: d:/lotus/domino/data/mail.box
    Originator: [my own email address]
    Recipients: [An emial address I don't recongise]
    Subject: Mail Delivery (failure {same emajil address I don't recognise])
    Date/Time: 19/06/2004 03:09:59

    Message sent to [said email address] was quarantined because it contained
    banned content.

    Just me., Jun 20, 2004

  2. Just me.

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:06:13 +0100, "Just me." <>
    wrote:

    >I got this (below) in my email today.
    >
    >I don't recognise the recipient, and I would certainly never send banned
    >content.
    >
    >Do I have a virus, should I worry?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >HAND
    >
    >Jessica
    >

    >Incident Information:-
    >
    >Database: d:/lotus/domino/data/mail.box
    >Originator: [my own email address]
    >Recipients: [An emial address I don't recongise]
    >Subject: Mail Delivery (failure {same emajil address I don't recognise])
    >Date/Time: 19/06/2004 03:09:59
    >
    >Message sent to [said email address] was quarantined because it contained
    >banned content.

    It says quarantined, don't worry.
    Deleted it from your quarantine file if you want. It most likely has
    nothing to do with you.
    joevan

    joevan, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Just me.

    J M Guest

    In article <7_eBc.2714$>, Just me.
    <> wrote:

    > I got this (below) in my email today.
    >
    > I don't recognise the recipient, and I would certainly never send banned
    > content.
    >
    > Do I have a virus, should I worry?

    You're using Outlook Express!
    Of course you have a virus, you probably have many.
    And yes, you should worry, and as a Windows user you also should
    have some basic protection:
    firewall (like Zone Alarm or Outpost)
    anti-spyware (like Ad-Aware or SpyBot, frequently updated)
    anti-virus (AVG, any commercial package, frequently updated)
    and NEVER use Outlook or Outlook Express, ever, for anything.

    J M, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Just me.

    ilmc Guest

    J M typed:
    > In article <7_eBc.2714$>, Just me.
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I got this (below) in my email today.
    >>
    >> I don't recognise the recipient, and I would certainly never send
    >> banned content.
    >>
    >> Do I have a virus, should I worry?

    > You're using Outlook Express!
    > Of course you have a virus, you probably have many.

    <snip>

    What utter drivel. In the many years I've been surfing, I've never been
    infected.

    ilmc, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Just me.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "J M" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <7_eBc.2714$>, Just me.
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I got this (below) in my email today.
    > > >
    > > > I don't recognise the recipient, and I would certainly never send
    > > > banned content.
    > > >
    > > > Do I have a virus, should I worry?

    > > You're using Outlook Express!
    > > Of course you have a virus, you probably have many.
    > > And yes, you should worry, and as a Windows user you also should
    > > have some basic protection:
    > > firewall (like Zone Alarm or Outpost)
    > > anti-spyware (like Ad-Aware or SpyBot, frequently updated)
    > > anti-virus (AVG, any commercial package, frequently updated)
    > > and NEVER use Outlook or Outlook Express, ever, for anything.

    That's like saying "get your protection, but never have sex". Duh! Some of
    us *like* OE or Outlook - get over it!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 20, 2004
  6. Just me.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ilmc" <> wrote in message
    > > J M typed:

    > > > You're using Outlook Express!
    > > > Of course you have a virus, you probably have many.

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > What utter drivel. In the many years I've been surfing, I've never
    > > been infected.

    Same here. Except for two things (you're gonna laugh!)
    1) my first Compaq Windows 95 computer came from the factory with a virus
    on it. For real! And when, years later, I restored the original CD, and it
    had the virus on it as well.
    2) I purchased a piece of software, still in the shrinkwrap, from a local
    retailer (back in the DOS days). The floppy disk was infected. I later
    learned that the company was "renting" out their software, then re-wrapping
    it. Needless to say, they weren't in business long <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jun 20, 2004
  7. Just me.

    °Mike° Guest

    What utter rubbish. I have no affection for Outlook
    Express, but this is pure fantasy.

    To the original poster:
    Take NO notice of this stupid "advice".

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:03:02 GMT, in
    <200620041103076542%>
    J M scrawled:

    <snip>

    >You're using Outlook Express!
    >Of course you have a virus, you probably have many.
    >And yes, you should worry,

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jun 20, 2004
  8. Just me.

    °Mike° Guest

    It's the work of a virus spoofing email addresses.
    Either you, somebody in your address book, or
    somebody who has you in their address book, is,
    or has been, infected with a virus/worm.

    Scan your system with UP TO DATE antivirus
    scanner. Below are some free online scanners.

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/