    figure there I won't have sharp temp changes, so I won't get
    condensation, but the moisture might affect the electronics anyway. Am
    I getting paranoid?

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Matt Silberstein

    Hornbill Guest

    Get yourself a cheap workable Tupperware box. Throw in some Silica Gel
    crystals. Store your digicam inside the box when not in use. That will kepp
    the fungus out of your lens.

    Hornbill, Aug 16, 2004

  3. (Matt Silberstein) writes:

    > I know enough to keep my camera (Sony 707) out of the rain, but I have
    > started to wonder about humidity. It gets pretty damp here in NYC in
    > the summer, should I avoid taking it out when it is high humidty? I am

    I take photos on tropical islands. Going from an air conditioned hotel room
    into hot, humid air makes for condensation on the surfaces. If you have the
    lens uncovered, you'll get a fine mist on its surface, too.

    > concerned about the camera, not on how humidity might affect photos? I
    > figure there I won't have sharp temp changes, so I won't get
    > condensation, but the moisture might affect the electronics anyway. Am
    > I getting paranoid?

    No, I've had that problem. Generally, I'd expect the condensation to be on
    the surface, but I was taking photos with a Nikon FG in 100% humidity, and
    the camera locked up. Taking it back to the motel and leaving it open in
    the room for awhile brought it back to life. My assumption is that some
    moisture got into the printed circuits. I don't know what effect that would
    have on a digital camera, and I don't think New York days will be that bad,
    but I have no clue what kind of seals your camera has.

    My suggestion is to take it out into the heat and humidity in its case and
    let it warm up to something like ambient temperature before taking it
    out. The issue would be condensation, and if you've got equalized temps,
    that should not happen.

    Phil Stripling, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Phil Stripling <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Matt Silberstein) writes:
    >
    > > I know enough to keep my camera (Sony 707) out of the rain, but I have
    > > started to wonder about humidity. It gets pretty damp here in NYC in
    > > the summer, should I avoid taking it out when it is high humidty? I am

    > I take photos on tropical islands. Going from an air conditioned hotel room
    > into hot, humid air makes for condensation on the surfaces. If you have the
    > lens uncovered, you'll get a fine mist on its surface, too.
    >
    > > concerned about the camera, not on how humidity might affect photos? I
    > > figure there I won't have sharp temp changes, so I won't get
    > > condensation, but the moisture might affect the electronics anyway. Am
    > > I getting paranoid?

    > No, I've had that problem. Generally, I'd expect the condensation to be on
    > the surface, but I was taking photos with a Nikon FG in 100% humidity, and
    > the camera locked up. Taking it back to the motel and leaving it open in
    > the room for awhile brought it back to life. My assumption is that some
    > moisture got into the printed circuits. I don't know what effect that would
    > have on a digital camera, and I don't think New York days will be that bad,
    > but I have no clue what kind of seals your camera has.
    >
    > My suggestion is to take it out into the heat and humidity in its case and
    > let it warm up to something like ambient temperature before taking it
    > out. The issue would be condensation, and if you've got equalized temps,
    > that should not happen.

    I had worried more about decay that simply having a problem shooting
    at that moment, but your advice is reasonable either way.

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 17, 2004
  5. "Hornbill" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Get yourself a cheap workable Tupperware box. Throw in some Silica Gel
    > crystals. Store your digicam inside the box when not in use. That will kepp
    > the fungus out of your lens.

    Thanks. I had not even thought of fungus. (I admit I try very hard to
    avoid thinking about fungus.)

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Matt Silberstein

    steve Guest

    When visiting Kauai I purchased some desiccant packs (in plastic) at a
    local camera shop. I stored the camera and lenses in sealed ziplock bags
    with desiccant in each bag. This had the additional advantage of helping
    to protect the gear from sudden downpours that chased us around the
    island during our stay.

    Yes the humidity is a killer and I didn't want to risk fungus in any of
    my camera gear. Our beach towels left to 'dry' outside smelled like gym
    lockers in about an hour.

    (Of course the condensation does have its advantages -- when we had
    drinks on the lanai the cold drinks quickly formed puddles of
    condensation. Soon we were beset upon by thirsty geckos that actually
    climbed onto the sides of the glasses and lapped up the water. At first
    we thought they were some sub-species of alcoholic geckos that were
    stalking our mai tais, but it was only the water they were interested in.)

    The desiccant packs I purchased are the type that turn pink when the
    desiccant is saturated, and you can recycle them in a microwave oven
    (carefully). When recycled the desiccant turns blue.

    Pretty cool if you ask me! I think I will store my gear this way all the
    time. (and dont forget to check the desiccant periodically. Gear stored
    in a ziplock bag with a saturated desiccant package would probably be
    destroyed faster than gear left in free air).

    Steve

    steve, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Matt Silberstein

    Tony Miklos Guest

    I once had a camera in my backpack while hiking. From the night before,
    everything in the backpack was cool. The outside temp and humidity was
    climbing very high, very fast. When I pulled the camera out and
    extended the zoom lens, it sucked in the hot humid air and the lens'
    inside got all fogged up. I ended up letting it sit in the sun, then
    moving the zoom in and out and it dried up again. It didn't seem to do
    any permanent damage.

    --
    Tony

    Tony Miklos, Aug 20, 2004
  8. << I know enough to keep my camera (Sony 707) out of the rain, but I have
    started to wonder about humidity. >>

    Matt-

    A couple of days ago I carried my camera from an air conditioned office to the
    parking lot, where it had rained earlier. I noticed a small alligator beneath
    one of the cars, so I grabbed the camera and started shooting.

    By the third shot, the picture looked like it had been taken in dense fog. You
    could barely make out the car, let alone the little alligator!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 21, 2004
  9. (Fred McKenzie) wrote in message news:<>...
    > << I know enough to keep my camera (Sony 707) out of the rain, but I have
    > started to wonder about humidity. >>
    >
    > Matt-
    >
    > A couple of days ago I carried my camera from an air conditioned office to the
    > parking lot, where it had rained earlier. I noticed a small alligator beneath
    > one of the cars, so I grabbed the camera and started shooting.
    >
    > By the third shot, the picture looked like it had been taken in dense fog. You
    > could barely make out the car, let alone the little alligator!

    You know, somehow my failure to get a clear picture would not have
    been the first thing on my mind at that point. I would probably be
    hoping the sound recorder worked so I could say good-by to my wife.
    ;-)

    BTW, I doubt there is actually such a thing as a live small alligator
    unless there is a wall between me and the alligator.

    Matt Silberstein, Aug 21, 2004