    Is Mozilla what i want?

    thanks,
    chris.

    alabaster, Sep 11, 2003

  2. alabaster

    Zeperd Guest

    Mozilla is a multi-platform browser and a great replacement for
    Internet Explorer. Because of it's 'nature' and background, it's
    a fully stand-alone program. I'm using version 1.2 under Linux,
    but I believe that the latest version by now is 1.4. You might
    want to give it a try.

    Greetings,

    Herman

    Zeperd, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Zeperd wrote:

    > Mozilla is a multi-platform browser and a great replacement for
    > Internet Explorer. Because of it's 'nature' and background, it's
    > a fully stand-alone program. I'm using version 1.2 under Linux,
    > but I believe that the latest version by now is 1.4. You might
    > want to give it a try.
    >
    > Greetings,
    >

    > Herman
    >

    > alabaster wrote:
    >

    >>I'm looking for an alternative to IE. Is Mozilla a standalone program (like
    >>Opera), or does it integrate with explorer?
    >>
    >>The main thing I'm looking for is to have a browser which isn't so tightly
    >>integrated into the OS and shell. I feel like everything I do in IE just
    >>leaves fingerprints all over my computer. I need to keep my PC running
    >>squeaky clean for professional audio production, and I feel like using IE a
    >>lot just bloats and mucks up my system.
    >>
    >>I do need to use the internet a great deal, but I feel like a standalone
    >>browser which keeps all the cookies, favorites, temp files, etc. etc. in its
    >>own domain will interfere less with my OS. I'll still use IE occasionally,
    >>but I want a less intrusive browser for everyday use.
    >>
    >>Is Mozilla what i want?
    >>
    >>thanks,
    >>chris.

    1.4 for is the current stable branch. 1.3b is availablle, and seems
    pretty stable from here.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 12, 2003
  4. alabaster

    Sensei Guest

    1.4 is stable and rocking, 1.5 is in beta testing.

    --
    Sensei <mailto:> <icq:241572242>

    But still I fear, and still I dare not
    Laugh at the mad man (The Prophet's song)

    Sensei, Sep 12, 2003
  5. alabaster

    Marius Guest

    On 11/09/2003 19.31, alabaster wrote:

    > I'm looking for an alternative to IE. ... I want a less intrusive browser for everyday use.
    >
    > Is Mozilla what i want?
    >
    > thanks,
    > chris.

    In one word I would say YES. :)

    Marius, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Unless you want an intergrated Mail Package, then Mozilla
    Thunderbird is ya baby. It has replaced my IE browser and I
    won't be going back. Opera is ok too and independent of OS,
    but it always seems a bit bloated for my tastes.

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Zeperd wrote:
    >
    >> Mozilla is a multi-platform browser and a great replacement for
    >> Internet Explorer. Because of it's 'nature' and background, it's
    >> a fully stand-alone program. I'm using version 1.2 under Linux,
    >> but I believe that the latest version by now is 1.4. You might
    >> want to give it a try.
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >>

    >> Herman
    >>

    >> alabaster wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm looking for an alternative to IE. Is Mozilla a standalone
    >>> program (like
    >>> Opera), or does it integrate with explorer?
    >>>
    >>> The main thing I'm looking for is to have a browser which isn't so
    >>> tightly
    >>> integrated into the OS and shell. I feel like everything I do in IE
    >>> just
    >>> leaves fingerprints all over my computer. I need to keep my PC running
    >>> squeaky clean for professional audio production, and I feel like
    >>> using IE a
    >>> lot just bloats and mucks up my system.
    >>>
    >>> I do need to use the internet a great deal, but I feel like a standalone
    >>> browser which keeps all the cookies, favorites, temp files, etc. etc.
    >>> in its
    >>> own domain will interfere less with my OS. I'll still use IE
    >>> occasionally,
    >>> but I want a less intrusive browser for everyday use.
    >>>
    >>> Is Mozilla what i want?
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> chris.

    > 1.4 for is the current stable branch. 1.3b is availablle, and seems
    > pretty stable from here.
    >
    > Lee

    My typing is absurd.

    I meant 1.5b, not 1.3b.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 12, 2003
  8. Bryan Harrison wrote:

    > Unless you want an intergrated Mail Package, then Mozilla Thunderbird is
    > ya baby. It has replaced my IE browser and I won't be going back. Opera
    > is ok too and independent of OS, but it always seems a bit bloated for
    > my tastes.
    >
    > Bryan
    >
    > alabaster wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for an alternative to IE. Is Mozilla a standalone program
    >> (like
    >> Opera), or does it integrate with explorer?
    >>
    >> The main thing I'm looking for is to have a browser which isn't so
    >> tightly
    >> integrated into the OS and shell. I feel like everything I do in IE just
    >> leaves fingerprints all over my computer. I need to keep my PC running
    >> squeaky clean for professional audio production, and I feel like using
    >> IE a
    >> lot just bloats and mucks up my system.
    >>
    >> I do need to use the internet a great deal, but I feel like a standalone
    >> browser which keeps all the cookies, favorites, temp files, etc. etc.
    >> in its
    >> own domain will interfere less with my OS. I'll still use IE
    >> occasionally,
    >> but I want a less intrusive browser for everyday use.
    >>
    >> Is Mozilla what i want?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> chris.

    I am sure Bryan means Mozilla Firebird, the standalone browser.
    Thunderbird is the standalone email/news client.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 12, 2003
  9. alabaster

    Gnomalarta Guest

    Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that Leonidas
    Jones had written in

    > My typing is absurd.
    >
    > I meant 1.5b, not 1.3b.
    >
    > Lee

    Mine twoo!

    Charlie.

    --
    East of Itchen
    www.peartreegreen.org

    Gnomalarta, Sep 12, 2003
  10. alabaster

    alabaster Guest

    Any chance Thunderbird can interface with Hotmail accounts, like OE?

    chris.

    alabaster, Sep 12, 2003
  11. alabaster wrote:
    > Any chance Thunderbird can interface with Hotmail accounts, like OE?
    >
    > chris.
    >

    > "Bryan Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Unless you want an intergrated Mail Package, then Mozilla
    >>Thunderbird is ya baby. It has replaced my IE browser and I
    >>won't be going back. Opera is ok too and independent of OS,
    >>but it always seems a bit bloated for my tastes.
    >>
    >>Bryan
    >>
    >>alabaster wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for an alternative to IE. Is Mozilla a standalone program

    > (like
    >
    >>>Opera), or does it integrate with explorer?
    >>>
    >>>The main thing I'm looking for is to have a browser which isn't so

    > tightly
    >
    >>>integrated into the OS and shell. I feel like everything I do in IE

    > just
    >
    >>>leaves fingerprints all over my computer. I need to keep my PC running
    >>>squeaky clean for professional audio production, and I feel like using

    > IE a
    >
    >>>lot just bloats and mucks up my system.
    >>>
    >>>I do need to use the internet a great deal, but I feel like a standalone
    >>>browser which keeps all the cookies, favorites, temp files, etc. etc. in

    > its
    >
    >>>own domain will interfere less with my OS. I'll still use IE

    > occasionally,
    >
    >>>but I want a less intrusive browser for everyday use.
    >>>
    >>>Is Mozilla what i want?
    >>>
    >>>thanks,
    >>>chris.

    There is a freeware ap called Hotmail Popper that will allow you to do this.

    I've never used Hotmail myself, but I use a similar thing for Yahoo,
    called YahooPops, which works pretty well.

    http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 12, 2003
  12. alabaster

    Gnomalarta Guest

    Gnomalarta, Sep 12, 2003
  13. Gnomalarta wrote:
    > Whilst decanting a beer Gnomalarta smiled when he saw that alabaster had
    > written in news:0or8b.1657$:
    >

    >>Any chance Thunderbird can interface with Hotmail accounts, like OE?
    >>
    >>chris.

    > Sadly no. Hotmail uses non-standard protocols.
    > See http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#2.3
    >
    > Thunderbird help is here: http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/
    >
    > BTW, isn't using the idea of using The Bird and having an Hopmail account
    > some kind illness :)
    >

    > Charlie.

    hotmail popper works fine. you can download it from
    http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/
    it's free and has fairly extensive instructions for how to install it.
    I'm no expert, so I don't really know how it gets through the bizarro
    hotmail protocols, but I reckon it's some sort of sorcery.

    Tom

    Tom and Gemma, Sep 14, 2003
  14. alabaster

    Aaron Guest

    Tom and Gemma <> wrote in news:bk1a71$kvq$:

    > hotmail popper works fine. you can download it from
    > http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/
    > it's free and has fairly extensive instructions for how to install it.
    > I'm no expert, so I don't really know how it gets through the bizarro
    > hotmail protocols, but I reckon it's some sort of sorcery.

    I'm no expert but it's probably some kind of script that logs in via http
    (you can see the connections in the logs) then sends it along in pop
    form.

    > Tom

    Aaron
    --
    Want to learn how to use Winboard and the 150+ free Winboard
    Chess engines?Visit http://www.aarontay.per.sg/Winboard/

    Aaron, Sep 18, 2003
  15. alabaster

    Night_Seer Guest

    I just got it and it works fine...gets hung up when you have tons of
    mail in hotmail, and it doesn't separate them out into your hotmail folders,
    but once you get it all set up in TB (along with junkmail etc) it works
    great. So long for good OE :)

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Sep 18, 2003
  16. To put it as succinctly as possible: Mozilla (current release is
    v1.5-RC2) is far superior to IE in every way I can see.

    This is not just speaking as a layman; I was a MCSE with an 18-year
    career in Information Technology (until lung disease forced me into
    medical retirement nearly 2 years back). About IE, to paraphrase Dave
    Bowman (from "2001: A Space Odyssey"), "My God, its full of holes!"

    From a security standpoint alone, try running IE and then the current
    Mozilla install by the free security check at this site:
    http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/index.php -- it is an independent
    Browser Security Test. Running IE across this has shown me many MAJOR
    seciruty breaches in IE; and I have never got anything more than a MINOR
    hit on Mozilla, and those have all been things that could be easily
    fixed in the Mozilla Preferences panel.

    Not to mention the fact that you are rightly concerned with the
    "footprints" left by IE -- some of these are frightening, unless you
    happen to be a huge fan of US Attorney General John Ashcroft and the
    "Patriot Act". By contrast, you can very easily setup Mozilla to leave
    very little or virtually nothing in its wake.

    Since I have been in retirement, I have dumped IE almost completely -- I
    rarely use it for anything; the only use I have for it is an occasional
    use of the MHTML web-page save feature, and I try vehemently not to use
    it either...

    There is literally no reason that you should need to use IE on a
    day-to-day basis. Dump it at Warp-9!

    Stephen Burnett, Oct 6, 2003
  17. alabaster

    Victor Guest

    Oh my Gosh... No, I definetely disagree with you. IE had security holes that
    won't affect you if you apply security patches.
    You can visit any web sites with lots of DHTML with IE. Now Mozilla is a
    real piece of c**p. Try Mozilla for a week, you'll see what I'm talking
    about. There are many pages (the nicest on the web actually) that won't
    display nice menus, behaviors on the pages and so forth...
    Mozilla is very slow on some sites, whereas IE is quick. I have seen even
    sites that don't even appear in Mozilla!
    I watch streaming video everyday (broadcast news) with IE, but I can't with
    Mozilla - The page remains blank, it won't load (the page uses advanced
    JavaScript).
    Firebird is a little better but these problems remain...
    V.

    Victor, Oct 6, 2003
  18. alabaster

    Guido Jurock Guest

    Victor schrieb:

    > Oh my Gosh... No, I definetely disagree with you. IE had security
    > holes that won't affect you if you apply security patches. You can
    > visit any web sites with lots of DHTML with IE. Now Mozilla is a real
    > piece of c**p. Try Mozilla for a week, you'll see what I'm talking
    > about.

    Actually I use Mozilla for several months now. I _can not_ see what you
    are talking about. It's working fine.

    > There are many pages (the nicest on the web actually) that
    > won't display nice menus, behaviors on the pages and so forth...

    I do not know what you look out for on the net, I am looking for
    information. _Not_ "nice" menus "and so forth". I don't want pop-ups. I
    don't want websites to change my statusbar. Specially I don _not_ want
    pages to download programmes and execute them, whenever they want.

    > Mozilla is very slow on some sites, whereas IE is quick. I have seen
    > even sites that don't even appear in Mozilla! I watch streaming video
    > everyday (broadcast news) with IE, but I can't with Mozilla - The page
    > remains blank, it won't load (the page uses advanced JavaScript).

    Have you ever validated the HTML on one of those pages? Try it!
    <http://www.validator.w3c.org> IIRC. And what is "advanced JavaScript?
    Optimized for IE?

    > Firebird is a little better but these problems remain...

    At the moment the differences between Moz and FB are mainly the GUI.
    The Core remains the same.

    guido

    --
    Erfahrung hei├čt gar nichts.
    Man kann seine Sache auch 35 Jahre schlecht machen.

    Guido Jurock, Oct 7, 2003
  19. alabaster

    dantu Guest

    Guido Jurock wrote:

    > Victor schrieb:
    >

    >>Oh my Gosh... No, I definetely disagree with you. IE had security
    >>holes that won't affect you if you apply security patches. You can
    >>visit any web sites with lots of DHTML with IE. Now Mozilla is a real
    >>piece of c**p. Try Mozilla for a week, you'll see what I'm talking
    >>about.

    > Actually I use Mozilla for several months now. I _can not_ see what you
    > are talking about. It's working fine.
    >

    >>There are many pages (the nicest on the web actually) that
    >>won't display nice menus, behaviors on the pages and so forth...

    > I do not know what you look out for on the net, I am looking for
    > information. _Not_ "nice" menus "and so forth". I don't want pop-ups. I
    > don't want websites to change my statusbar. Specially I don _not_ want
    > pages to download programmes and execute them, whenever they want.
    >

    >>Mozilla is very slow on some sites, whereas IE is quick. I have seen
    >>even sites that don't even appear in Mozilla! I watch streaming video
    >>everyday (broadcast news) with IE, but I can't with Mozilla - The page
    >>remains blank, it won't load (the page uses advanced JavaScript).

    > Have you ever validated the HTML on one of those pages? Try it!
    > <http://www.validator.w3c.org> IIRC. And what is "advanced JavaScript?
    > Optimized for IE?
    >

    >>Firebird is a little better but these problems remain...

    > At the moment the differences between Moz and FB are mainly the GUI.
    > The Core remains the same.
    >
    > guido

    Amusing.
    Advanced Javascript

    Javascript was born as LiveScript, out of the Netscape family. It was
    renamed to Javascript a few years later.

    So Advanced Javascript is definately NOT MS or IE inspired.

    dantu, Oct 7, 2003
  20. alabaster

    Brian Guest

    Stephen Burnett <> wrote:

    >To put it as succinctly as possible: Mozilla (current release is
    >v1.5-RC2) is far superior to IE in every way I can see.
    >
    >This is not just speaking as a layman; I was a MCSE with an 18-year
    >career in Information Technology (until lung disease forced me into
    >medical retirement nearly 2 years back). About IE, to paraphrase Dave
    >Bowman (from "2001: A Space Odyssey"), "My God, its full of holes!"

    I may get slammed for this but I hope not. I'm not a big supporter of
    IE but I am finding that it is working better than Mozilla now. I am
    using version 1.2.1 because I really don't want to go through the
    hassle of uninstalling this version and possibly losing settings that
    I have. One time I somehow had a build installed overnight and it
    screwed things up for a while and I had to spend more time than I
    liked getting it right again.
    I'm not a computer illiterate; I just don't want to spend a lot of
    time on hassles.
    Should I just forget about using Mozilla?

    Brian, Oct 8, 2003