    or better.

    Thanks.

    Vaughan.
    Vaughan Dodd, Jan 30, 2011

  2. Vaughan Dodd

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Vaughan Dodd <> wrote in news:MPG.27af88736475b18989682
    @news.ihug.co.nz:

    > So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    > 14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good
    > or better.

    I decided I didn't need binaries so I am using nntp.aioe.org

    There is a bit of a feature and price war on for paid NNTP.

    http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 30, 2011

  3. On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    <> wrote:

    >Hello everyone.
    >
    >Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?
    >
    >As we all know - Usenet has not been properly supported in New Zealand
    >for so long that I wonder why we keep hoping for it - yes - there are
    >faster and more exciting ways of distributing conversations, but I have
    >always lliked Usenet.
    >
    >So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    >14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good
    >or better.

    I've been using Astraweb
    http://www.astraweb.com/
    they have a couple of plans that are priced purely on data only, no
    time limit. That is you pay eg US$10 for 25GB and it lasts until you
    have used 25GB. For me that lasts more than a year. Other providers
    (and other Astraweb plans) are charged monthly.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Jan 30, 2011
  4. Vaughan Dodd

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd wrote:

    > Hello everyone.
    >
    > Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?
    >
    > As we all know - Usenet has not been properly supported in New Zealand
    > for so long that I wonder why we keep hoping for it - yes - there are
    > faster and more exciting ways of distributing conversations, but I have
    > always lliked Usenet.
    >
    > So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    > 14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good
    > or better.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Vaughan.

    Try nntp.aioe.org .

    It's free and allows posting. There is, however, a reasonable restriction
    on the number of posts you can make each day from your IP address. :)

    No good if you want the warez and porn NGs.

    Sweetpea, Jan 30, 2011
  5. Vaughan Dodd

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:53:50 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > I decided I didn't need binaries so I am using nntp.aioe.org

    Ditto. It's good. :)

    Sweetpea, Jan 30, 2011
  6. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?

    When I decided to dump APN (after it sub-contracted out to Easynews) I
    did a lot of experimenting. After trying Giganews (trial offer) I
    decided against it because of the incredible amount of spam and sporge
    that got through their filters.

    In the end, I chose individual.net for text (€10 a year) and Astraweb
    for binaries. I bought a 180gb chunk for a one-off cost of US$25.00.
    Since I'm on an Xtra 20gbpm "Adventurer" plan and don't download as
    much music as I used to, I have 123gigs left after using it for 10
    months.

    >So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    >14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good

    Nothing to lose, so try it out ... maybe they've improved their
    filtering out of spam and sporge. But also try Astraweb -
    unfortunately, the only way you can get a free 24-hour trial is to pay
    for a month and, if you don't like the service, ask for a refund after
    you've tried it for that 24-hours. When I tried it they offered a much
    longer trial period and asked for no payment.

    Just my opinion, but if you want reliability, long retention I'd stay
    away from the free text servers like aioe. I've also tried a few of
    them and found them most unsatisfactory.
    Donchano, Jan 30, 2011
  7. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello everyone.
    > >
    > >Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?
    > >
    > >As we all know - Usenet has not been properly supported in New Zealand
    > >for so long that I wonder why we keep hoping for it - yes - there are
    > >faster and more exciting ways of distributing conversations, but I have
    > >always lliked Usenet.
    > >
    > >So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    > >14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good
    > >or better.

    > I've been using Astraweb
    > http://www.astraweb.com/
    > they have a couple of plans that are priced purely on data only, no
    > time limit. That is you pay eg US$10 for 25GB and it lasts until you
    > have used 25GB. For me that lasts more than a year. Other providers
    > (and other Astraweb plans) are charged monthly.

    Looking better: Giganews haven't confirmed my registration, so all this
    is good and welcomed advice.
    Vaughan Dodd, Jan 30, 2011
  8. On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd <>
    wrote:

    >Hello everyone.
    >
    >Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?
    >
    >As we all know - Usenet has not been properly supported in New Zealand
    >for so long that I wonder why we keep hoping for it - yes - there are
    >faster and more exciting ways of distributing conversations, but I have
    >always lliked Usenet.
    >
    >So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    >14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good
    >or better.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Vaughan.

    Easynew beets it, allows decoded binary dnloads..

    I have used both.
    William Brown, Jan 30, 2011
  9. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:39:22 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >Just looking at the Giganewqs.com site and wonder how it rates?

    > When I decided to dump APN (after it sub-contracted out to Easynews) I
    > did a lot of experimenting. After trying Giganews (trial offer) I
    > decided against it because of the incredible amount of spam and sporge
    > that got through their filters.
    >
    > In the end, I chose individual.net for text (?10 a year) and Astraweb
    > for binaries. I bought a 180gb chunk for a one-off cost of US$25.00.
    > Since I'm on an Xtra 20gbpm "Adventurer" plan and don't download as
    > much music as I used to, I have 123gigs left after using it for 10
    > months.

    As I think I mentioned in a previous post - Giganews hasn't even
    processed my card details and haven't provided the acknowledgement email,
    so that is the end of them. When I looked there was no easy to find
    mention of spam filtering, so I guess that nothing has been done. This
    does of course eat into the monthly limit.

    > >So now I am looking at Giganews, and will probably sign up for the free
    > >14 days, but wondering if there alternatives which are at least as good

    > Nothing to lose, so try it out ... maybe they've improved their
    > filtering out of spam and sporge. But also try Astraweb -
    > unfortunately, the only way you can get a free 24-hour trial is to pay
    > for a month and, if you don't like the service, ask for a refund after
    > you've tried it for that 24-hours. When I tried it they offered a much
    > longer trial period and asked for no payment.

    The best that I have read so far!

    > Just my opinion, but if you want reliability, long retention I'd stay
    > away from the free text servers like aioe. I've also tried a few of
    > them and found them most unsatisfactory.

    I last looked at free usenet when Xtra was providing its bad service,
    before discontinuing it and can vouch for your observations here.

    Thanks for the info.

    Vaughan.
    Vaughan Dodd, Jan 30, 2011
  10. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:56:02 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >I last looked at free usenet when Xtra was providing its bad service,
    >before discontinuing it and can vouch for your observations here

    Speaking of Xtra, I remember having to call their helpdesk about their
    unreliable, spasmodic Usenet feed on a number of occasions and only
    once spoke to someone who actually knew they HAD a news service, let
    along what Usenet was.

    Usually, I had to try and convince them that the news service was part
    of deal and then wait on hold while they checked with a "supervisor"
    who didn't know what it was either.
    Donchano, Jan 31, 2011
  11. Vaughan Dodd

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:56:02 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >>> In the end, I chose individual.net for text (?10 a year) and Astraweb
    >>> for binaries. I bought a 180gb chunk for a one-off cost of US$25.00.
    >>> Since I'm on an Xtra 20gbpm "Adventurer" plan and don't download as
    >>> much music as I used to, I have 123gigs left after using it for 10
    >>> months.

    Just curious, why *two* subscriptions? Is Astraweb no good for text or is it
    just that you prefer to keep things separate? I ask as a friend's looking to
    set up usenet soon and I know that she used to subscribe to some binaries
    groups but was mainly text. I was thinking that, if and when finances allow,
    I could perhaps buy her a chunk of Astraweb's service as a housewarming
    gift?

    >> I last looked at free usenet when Xtra was providing its bad service,
    >> before discontinuing it and can vouch for your observations here

    > Speaking of Xtra, I remember having to call their helpdesk about their
    > unreliable, spasmodic Usenet feed on a number of occasions and only
    > once spoke to someone who actually knew they HAD a news service, let
    > along what Usenet was.
    >
    > Usually, I had to try and convince them that the news service was part
    > of deal and then wait on hold while they checked with a "supervisor"
    > who didn't know what it was either.

    LOL! I've been there too. They had to get someone who knew what I was
    talking about to ring me the next day. I'm pleased I don't have to deal with
    those 'the bare minimum that fits in with the ASA's laws' clowns anymore.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2011
  12. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:32:18 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:56:02 +1300, Vaughan Dodd
    >> <> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >> In article <>,
    >> lid says...

    >Just curious, why *two* subscriptions? Is Astraweb no good for text or is it
    >just that you prefer to keep things separate? I ask as a friend's looking to
    >set up usenet soon and I know that she used to subscribe to some binaries
    >groups but was mainly text. I was thinking that, if and when finances allow,
    >I could perhaps buy her a chunk of Astraweb's service as a housewarming
    >gift?

    Good question. Why two? I don't know!!!! It just happened that way.
    After my disappointing APN experience I probably didn't want all of my
    Usenet eggs in one basket (I've just recently configured Forté Agent 6
    to use individual.net as my primary text server and Astraweb as
    secondary).

    What I do know is that, unlike APN/Easynews, individual.net is the
    most reliable text service I've ever used and that Astraweb has never
    let me down on binaries with a retention of over two years - which has
    come in very handy when someone in one music group let's you know
    about an old download in another music group you've only just found
    out about.

    >>> I last looked at free usenet when Xtra was providing its bad service,
    >>> before discontinuing it and can vouch for your observations here

    >> Speaking of Xtra, I remember having to call their helpdesk about their
    >> unreliable, spasmodic Usenet feed on a number of occasions and only
    >> once spoke to someone who actually knew they HAD a news service, let
    >> along what Usenet was.
    >>
    >> Usually, I had to try and convince them that the news service was part
    >> of deal and then wait on hold while they checked with a "supervisor"
    >> who didn't know what it was either.

    >LOL! I've been there too. They had to get someone who knew what I was
    >talking about to ring me the next day. I'm pleased I don't have to deal with
    >those 'the bare minimum that fits in with the ASA's laws' clowns anymore.

    I've often wondered if the REAL reason Xtra pulled the plug on it's
    so-called "complimentary Usenet server" is because of all the
    UN-complimentary feedback Xtra was getting from it's customers on the
    Xtra newsgroups.
    Donchano, Feb 1, 2011
  13. Vaughan Dodd

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:32:18 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    [snips]
    >> Just curious, why *two* subscriptions? Is Astraweb no good for text
    >> or is it just that you prefer to keep things separate? I ask as a
    >> friend's looking to set up usenet soon and I know that she used to
    >> subscribe to some binaries groups but was mainly text. I was
    >> thinking that, if and when finances allow, I could perhaps buy her a
    >> chunk of Astraweb's service as a housewarming gift?

    > Good question. Why two? I don't know!!!! It just happened that way.
    > After my disappointing APN experience I probably didn't want all of my
    > Usenet eggs in one basket (I've just recently configured Forté Agent 6
    > to use individual.net as my primary text server and Astraweb as
    > secondary).

    I understand that. I use Eternal September but also have an AIOE (or
    whatever it's called) 'subscription'.

    > What I do know is that, unlike APN/Easynews, individual.net is the
    > most reliable text service I've ever used and that Astraweb has never
    > let me down on binaries with a retention of over two years - which has
    > come in very handy when someone in one music group let's you know
    > about an old download in another music group you've only just found
    > out about.

    That's great. I might have to look into it for myself! <g>

    >> LOL! I've been there too. They had to get someone who knew what I was
    >> talking about to ring me the next day. I'm pleased I don't have to
    >> deal with those 'the bare minimum that fits in with the ASA's laws'
    >> clowns anymore.

    > I've often wondered if the REAL reason Xtra pulled the plug on it's
    > so-called "complimentary Usenet server" is because of all the
    > UN-complimentary feedback Xtra was getting from it's customers on the
    > Xtra newsgroups.

    It wouldn't surprise me. Actually, last time I checked my ISP, Actrix, had a
    good NNTP server. However some arse-clown decided that he didn't like the
    taste of his own medicine and complained to Actrix about me. They sent me a
    warning, apparently hidden deep within the T&C that I digitally 'signed'
    there's a clause about not using their sevice to 'defame' anybody.

    Rather than lose my whole ISP over a tiny flame-war I stopped using Actrix'
    usenet server. <shrug>

    Cheers, I'll catch up with you soon. :)

    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2011
  14. Vaughan Dodd

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Donchano <> wrote in news:8qpfd9F925U1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > I've often wondered if the REAL reason Xtra pulled the plug on it's
    > so-called "complimentary Usenet server" is because of all the
    > UN-complimentary feedback Xtra was getting from it's customers on the
    > Xtra newsgroups.

    When I worked at Rogers.ca we were given a tour of the "Head End" as part
    of orientation. (about 15 yrs ago)
    Anyways, they had a Sun server with lots of HDD and lots of RAM,
    going flat out, just running NNTP for their West coast customers. {15
    years ago this cost lots of money to buy!} They had three or four of these
    "cubes" scattered around the country to be a low latency NTP server for the
    customers. A big Sun server, was EXPENSIVE, but it was a service that the
    ISP provided as part of the monthly bill. I am dissapointed I pay my ISP
    to provide me TV, Phone, Internet and don't get NNTP.

    Can I run my own? No. Can I get Mbone, No. NAT needs to go.

    Bring on IPV6 and the internet will be whole again.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 2, 2011
  15. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 07:21:12 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Donchano <> wrote in news:8qpfd9F925U1
    >@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> I've often wondered if the REAL reason Xtra pulled the plug on it's
    >> so-called "complimentary Usenet server" is because of all the
    >> UN-complimentary feedback Xtra was getting from it's customers on the
    >> Xtra newsgroups.
    >>

    >When I worked at Rogers.ca we were given a tour of the "Head End" as part
    >of orientation. (about 15 yrs ago)
    > Anyways, they had a Sun server with lots of HDD and lots of RAM,
    >going flat out, just running NNTP for their West coast customers. {15
    >years ago this cost lots of money to buy!} They had three or four of these
    >"cubes" scattered around the country to be a low latency NTP server for the
    >customers. A big Sun server, was EXPENSIVE, but it was a service that the
    >ISP provided as part of the monthly bill. I am dissapointed I pay my ISP
    >to provide me TV, Phone, Internet and don't get NNTP.
    >
    >Can I run my own? No. Can I get Mbone, No. NAT needs to go.
    >
    >Bring on IPV6 and the internet will be whole again.

    All that's way over my head.

    But what I think Xtra used to do - and could still be doing - is to
    spend lots & lots of money advertising & promoting their services and
    wonderful new plans BEFORE they actually had the infrastructure to be
    able to handle all those new customers and then Xtra would wait until
    their existing customers complained vigourously enough for the company
    to go ahead and spend the money to upgrade the infrastructure.

    IOW - Xtra encouraged new customers at the expense of existing
    customers.
    Donchano, Feb 2, 2011