    takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it did 1/2 year ago). I
    could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an difference,
    in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf the net? tx
    lbbs, Jan 16, 2004

  2. lbbs

    Mcploppy © Guest

    lbbs bashed at the keyboard and said:
    > At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet, MS
    > outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram usage.
    > I seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and sometimes I
    > use more then that (task manager). My system work ok, opening
    > file and programs takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it
    > did 1/2 year ago). I could buy more RAM if need be, just
    > wondering if it will make an difference, in performance and speed in

    lbbs,
    Have a wee look here:
    http://www.computermemoryupgrade.net/why-more-ram-is-better.html

    --
    McPloppy ©

    { Remove both MyShoes to email me }
    { Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
    { Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
    { My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }
    Mcploppy ©, Jan 16, 2004

  3. lbbs

    Brian H¹© Guest

    lbbs said:

    > At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet, MS
    > outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram usage. I
    > seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and sometimes I use more
    > then that (task manager). My system work ok, opening file and programs
    > takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it did 1/2 year ago). I
    > could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an difference,
    > in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf the net? tx

    Go for it.

    --
    Why sit in the red zone when you can tick over?
    Brian H¹©, Jan 16, 2004
  4. lbbs

    HamMan Guest

    "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    > At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet, MS
    > outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram usage. I
    > seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and sometimes I use more
    > then that (task manager). My system work ok, opening file and programs
    > takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it did 1/2 year ago).

    > could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an

    difference,
    > in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf the net? tx

    Definatly upgrade to 512, if not 768 or 1024Mb
    HamMan, Jan 16, 2004
  5. lbbs

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:17:08 -0500, "lbbs" <> scribbled:

    >At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet, MS
    >outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram usage. I
    >seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and sometimes I use more
    >then that (task manager). My system work ok, opening file and programs

    If you're using more than the available physical RAM, you need
    more RAM.

    >takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it did 1/2 year ago). I
    >could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an difference,
    >in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf the net? tx

    It's not going to speed up the net.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 16, 2004
  6. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    > "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    >> At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet, MS
    >> outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram usage.
    >> I seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and sometimes I
    >> use more then that (task manager). My system work ok, opening
    >> file and programs takes maybe and extra second or two ( from what it
    >> did 1/2 year ago).

    >> could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an
    >> difference, in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf
    >> the net? tx
    >>

    > Definatly upgrade to 512, if not 768 or 1024Mb

    Best thing I ever did, going from 192mb SDRam to 1gig of DDR :)

    Well, not /the/ best thing, I once scored a wonderful goal :)
    --
    slumpy
    If you find a posting or message from myself offensive, inappropriate, or
    slumpy, Jan 16, 2004
  7. lbbs

    Harrison Guest

    If Windows 9x, go to 512
    If 2000 or XP, go to 1024 if your system supports it.
    What about your graphics memory?
    Hopefully, a system running CAD will be using AGP graphics and not
    sharing the system memory?
    If you do have AGP, you can step up to a 128 MB card for very little
    money.
    If you have on-board graphics, get a PCI card at least.

    Harrison, Jan 16, 2004
  8. lbbs

    Joe Guest

    On my Dell P3 Dimension 4100 866, the motherboard only has space for two
    sticks of memory. I have two 256MB and I think that is the max it will
    support. Check with Crucial.com even if you buy your RAM elsewhere it will
    tell you how much you can use.
    Joe, Jan 17, 2004
  9. lbbs

    Paul - xxx Guest

    slumpy posted ...

    >> "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    >>> At work I have many application opened at once (AutoCAD, internet,
    >>> MS outlook etc..) I notice that I am almost maxed out on ram
    >>> usage. I seldom turn off my computer. I have 256MB sdram and
    >>> sometimes I use more then that (task manager). My system work
    >>> ok, opening file and programs takes maybe and extra second or two (
    >>> from what it did 1/2 year ago).

    >>> could buy more RAM if need be, just wondering if it will make an
    >>> difference, in performance and speed in loading programs, or surf
    >>> the net? tx
    >>>

    >> Definatly upgrade to 512, if not 768 or 1024Mb

    > Best thing I ever did, going from 192mb SDRam to 1gig of DDR :)
    >
    > Well, not /the/ best thing, I once scored a wonderful goal :)

    I once scored ..

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Jan 17, 2004
  10. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Paul - xxx
    postulated...

    >>> Definatly upgrade to 512, if not 768 or 1024Mb

    >> Best thing I ever did, going from 192mb SDRam to 1gig of DDR :)
    >>
    >> Well, not /the/ best thing, I once scored a wonderful goal :)

    > I once scored ..

    Closest I got was a try.

    Never managed to convert it though :-(
    --
    slumpy
    A tip for the Scott Lifshine: Unskilled and Unaware of It - How Difficulties
    slumpy, Jan 17, 2004
  11. lbbs

    Win Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > slumpy posted ...
    >
    > >> "lbbs" <> wrote in message

    Snip

    If you have enough ram to load programs 256 is unless you are useing XP then
    it is but you could use more and get a small increase
    It is the hard drive that loads programs
    a new hard drive fast as you can afford would give you more speed when
    The net is the speed of your connection
    I guess you use a 56k modem
    use a different connection methord which will result in a bigger monthly
    bill but a faster connection

    Win
    Win, Jan 17, 2004
  12. lbbs

    Win Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > slumpy posted ...
    >
    > >> "lbbs" <> wrote in message
    > >>>

    > >> Definatly upgrade to 512, if not 768 or 1024Mb

    > > Best thing I ever did, going from 192mb SDRam to 1gig of DDR :)

    snip
    192 is ok but DDR is much faster than SD that is you improvement if you are
    useing 98
    anyone useing less than 256 for XP will notice it is slow
    Win, Jan 17, 2004
  13. lbbs

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:30:28 +1300, "Win" <>
    scribbled:

    >"Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >> slumpy posted ...

    >Snip
    >
    >If you have enough ram to load programs 256 is unless you are useing XP then
    >it is but you could use more and get a small increase
    >It is the hard drive that loads programs
    >a new hard drive fast as you can afford would give you more speed when
    >The net is the speed of your connection
    >I guess you use a 56k modem
    >use a different connection methord which will result in a bigger monthly
    >bill but a faster connection

    Could you try that again with some punctuation and making
    even a modicum of sense? Thanks.

    --
    "English mother fucker! Do you speak it?" - Samuel L. Jackson
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 17, 2004
  14. lbbs

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:32:30 +1300, "Win" <>
    scribbled:

    >"Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    >> slumpy posted ...

    >> > Best thing I ever did, going from 192mb SDRam to 1gig of DDR :)

    >snip
    >192 is ok but DDR is much faster than SD that is you improvement if you are
    >useing 98
    >anyone useing less than 256 for XP will notice it is slow

    You're not another of those idiots who claims that 9x can't
    address more than 256 megs of RAM, are you?

    --
    "English mother fucker! Do you speak it?" - Samuel L. Jackson
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 17, 2004
  15. lbbs

    Win Guest

    "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:32:30 +1300, "Win" <>
    > scribbled:
    >

    > >"Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > >> slumpy posted ...

    > >snip
    > >192 is ok but DDR is much faster than SD that is you improvement if you

    are
    > >useing 98
    > >anyone useing less than 256 for XP will notice it is slow

    > You're not another of those idiots who claims that 9x can't
    > address more than 256 megs of RAM, are you?

    hehe of cause not
    I use 1 gig myself but XP mainly
    I am someone that says to little old ladies that 64 megs of ram is not
    enough really. I then sit an listen to what they use there computer for
    IE OE Word Solitaire
    Is 64 enough
    not really
    but will the computer work faster with 128 or 256 with what they do
    not really with win 98

    Here is some punuction for you
    If you have enough ram to load programs... 256 is, unless you are useing XP
    then it is but you could use more and get a small increase

    It is the hard drive that loads programs
    a new hard drive, fast as you can afford, would give you more speed when
    The net is the speed of your connection
    I guess you use a 56k modem
    use a different connection methord which will result in a bigger monthly
    bill but a faster connection

    by all means add more memory from 256 to 512 will give a small overall speed
    increase you may almost notice it
    from 512 to 1024 is no speed increase at all but you could load your biggest
    game then exit it open word then go back into your game and it will open
    with no hard disk actavity (faster) because you have already chaced it in
    memory

    A faster hard drive will give you a bigger speed increase
    for games a better video card will give you a better speed increase.
    Overall tell us what you want OS you use and what applications you want to
    speed up
    I have already said how to speed up IE (a faster connection)
    There is also all the programs loading on start up
    these can affect win98 very badly and should be kept to a minimum

    Win
    Win, Jan 17, 2004
  16. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Win postulated...

    > Here is some punuction for you

    Really, how quaint, he speaks in Olde Englishe.
    slumpy, Jan 17, 2004
  17. lbbs

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:13:29 +1300, "Win" <>
    scribbled:

    >"-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:32:30 +1300, "Win" <>
    >> scribbled:
    >>

    >> >"Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message

    >> >snip
    >> >192 is ok but DDR is much faster than SD that is you improvement if you

    >are
    >> >useing 98
    >> >anyone useing less than 256 for XP will notice it is slow

    >> You're not another of those idiots who claims that 9x can't
    >> address more than 256 megs of RAM, are you?

    >hehe of cause not
    >I use 1 gig myself but XP mainly
    >I am someone that says to little old ladies that 64 megs of ram is not
    >enough really. I then sit an listen to what they use there computer for
    >IE OE Word Solitaire
    >Is 64 enough
    >not really

    For those uses, yes. I've got an old 5x86-133 running 98SE
    with 48 megs of RAM, it works just fine for its intended purpose.

    >but will the computer work faster with 128 or 256 with what they do
    >not really with win 98

    Yeah it will, especially for Word.

    >Here is some punuction for you

    You seem to have lost it.

    >If you have enough ram to load programs... 256 is, unless you are useing XP
    >then it is but you could use more and get a small increase

    Please tell me English is your second language.

    >It is the hard drive that loads programs

    No, the HD doesn't "load" anything, the HD is a storage device.

    >a new hard drive, fast as you can afford, would give you more speed when

    Unless you're opening huge PSD images or Autocad or
    playing the latest, greatest games (which all almost
    exclusively run off the CD anyhow) the difference
    between a 5400 RPW drive and a 7200 RPM drive
    isn't even noticable to the average user.

    >The net is the speed of your connection

    NO! Really!?

    >I guess you use a 56k modem

    That's the 2nd time you've used that same lame. Too bad you
    can't read headers.

    >use a different connection methord which will result in a bigger monthly
    >bill but a faster connection

    You're repeating yourself for some unknown reason.

    >by all means add more memory from 256 to 512 will give a small overall speed
    >increase you may almost notice it
    >from 512 to 1024 is no speed increase at all but you could load your biggest
    >game then exit it open word then go back into your game and it will open
    >with no hard disk actavity (faster) because you have already chaced it in
    >memory

    Are you smoking crack?

    >A faster hard drive will give you a bigger speed increase
    >for games a better video card will give you a better speed increase.
    >Overall tell us what you want OS you use and what applications you want to

    Us who? Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder?

    >speed up
    >I have already said how to speed up IE (a faster connection)
    >There is also all the programs loading on start up
    >these can affect win98 very badly and should be kept to a minimum

    So should your advice.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 18, 2004
  18. lbbs

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, -= Hawk =-
    postulated...

    <funny comments removed, unfortunately>

    >> There is also all the programs loading on start up
    >> these can affect win98 very badly and should be kept to a minimum

    > So should your advice.

    Amen to that.
    --
    slumpy