    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    - Bush
    hugh jass, Sep 9, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:27:56 -0400, hugh jass wrote:

    >I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
    >win2k.
    >I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
    >install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am

    <snip>

    No answers to your earlier post? It was only 9h55m ago, then again are
    you still planning on keeping Win98 as per the 9h45m ago post?

    Would not use any NT type OS with less than 192MB (since I have some old
    P133's that's the max otherwise prefer 256MB).

    Me
    why?, Sep 9, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    OLT Guest

    It will run alright.
    I installed Windows 2000 Pro on a system with P 120 and only 48MB ram,
    ran perfectly.
    Also installed it on a system with a 200MHz processor and 48MB ram. It
    too works great.

    OLT, Sep 9, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    Morg Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
    >win2k.
    >I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
    >install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
    >reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
    >Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
    >machine
    >and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
    >Any advice would be appreciated.
    >thanks, hj

    will run ok just dont push it too far!

    why cant you just stick a 128MB DIMM in there, it is so cheap :)
    Morg, Sep 10, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote:

    >I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to run
    >win2k.
    >I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad idea to
    >install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i am
    >reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
    >Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a winXP
    >machine
    >and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
    >Any advice would be appreciated.
    >thanks, hj

    Should be no problems networking Windows 98 with Windows XP. See the
    web page Add Windows 98 or Me to installed XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

    Windows 2000 with 64 mb of RAM sounds a bit marginal to me, depending
    on what types of application programs you are going to run on that
    machine.

    If it is for games or multimedia type applications then I suspect that
    Windows 98 will be a better choice than Windows 2000, as these items
    were not given high priorities in the design or testing of Windows
    2000.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 10, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    PhilGreg Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > I read somewhere that atleast 64Mb is recommended for a machine to

    run
    > win2k.
    > I have inherited an AMD-K6 3D processor with 56 Mb RAM. Is it a bad

    idea to
    > install win2k? I have just put win98 on it and can't believe that i

    am
    > reaching that far back to an OS that I never really liked!
    > Also, I will be putting this on a shared internet network with a

    winXP
    > machine
    > and I anticipate problems with trying to connect the win98 machine.
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    > thanks, hj

    ==> It'll work but don't expect blazing performance. If you're going
    to use it in a network setup why not put Linux on it, install a
    firewall and use it for you network's server? Once up and running it
    won't even need a monitor.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    PhilGreg, Sep 10, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Yeah, that's what I'll probably do... Just wanted to know if it was worth
    the effort with this processor too.
    thnx, hj

    --
    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    :
    hugh jass, Sep 10, 2003
  8. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Interesting idea. Though I don't have any network experience, I am thinking
    of attempting something like that.
    I also have an old notebook (P2-266Mhz) which is a candidate. One of these
    machines needs to be my wife's own work machine. Would it be a bad idea to
    use the notebook as a server? Probably get overheated!?
    thnx, hj
    --
    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    "PhilGreg" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    : news:Jts7b.2874$...
[...]
    : --
    : Phil
    :
    : \\\///
    : ( o o )
    : --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    hugh jass, Sep 10, 2003
  9. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Hmmm... Is this the link you meant to post? It seems like info. on
    installing win98 to the same machine where XP is installed.
    What I am trying to do is network two separate machines, one that is running
    winXP and the other win98.
    hj
    --
    ______________________
    "peace - it's worth killing for"
    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    : "hugh jass" <> wrote:
    :
[...]
    : "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
    hugh jass, Sep 10, 2003
  10. hugh jass

    PhilGreg Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting idea. Though I don't have any network experience, I am

    thinking
    > of attempting something like that.
    > I also have an old notebook (P2-266Mhz) which is a candidate. One

    of these
    > machines needs to be my wife's own work machine. Would it be a bad

    idea to
    > use the notebook as a server? Probably get overheated!?
    > thnx, hj

    ==> I'm not sure if I'd use a notebook as a server. Even assuming an
    electric plug in there would still be a prob w/overheating, I think.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    PhilGreg, Sep 10, 2003
  11. hugh jass

    Ron Martell Guest

    "hugh jass" <> wrote:

    >Hmmm... Is this the link you meant to post? It seems like info. on
    >installing win98 to the same machine where XP is installed.
    >What I am trying to do is network two separate machines, one that is running
    >winXP and the other win98.
    >hj

    Sorry about that.

    Try this one.

    Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

    Ron Martell, Sep 10, 2003