    Or just forget it.

    Like to play with some of the newer games.

    Thanks..

    Brian Adams, Oct 6, 2007

  2. Brian Adams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-10-06, Brian Adams <> wrote:

    > Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    > channel ram.
    >
    > Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >
    > Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.

    And your budget is

    Gordon, Oct 6, 2007

  3. Brian Adams

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Oct 6, 2007
  4. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On 6 Oct 2007 04:57:49 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2007-10-06, Brian Adams <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    >> channel ram.
    >>
    >> Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >>
    >> Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >>

    >And your budget is

    Very very little,...

    Greg House, Oct 6, 2007
  5. Brian Adams

    Brian Adams Guest

    On 6 Oct 2007 18:20:17 +1300, Dave Taylor <>
    wrote:

    >Brian Adams <> wrote in
    >
    >> Or just forget it.

    >Buy a new $3000 god box or nothing at all.
    >IMHO.
    >Games on a pc = money hole, a boat might be cheaper.
    >http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200706.ars/4

    That is not what I posted the article for, plus I have very little money and
    for the odd game its just not worth spending $3000 that will be obsolete in 2
    years time..

    Brian Adams, Oct 6, 2007
  6. On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:09:41 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as Greg House
    <ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ aliases) wrote in

    > On 6 Oct 2007 04:57:49 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-10-06, Brian Adams <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    >>> channel ram.
    >>>
    >>> Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >>>
    >>> Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >>>

    >>And your budget is

    > Very very little,...

    Slow, lonely weekend for you, is it?

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 6, 2007
  7. In message <>, Brian Adams wrote:

    > Like to play with some of the newer games.

    Ones using DirectX 10? You'll need Visaster for that...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2007
  8. Brian Adams

    EMB Guest

    Brian Adams wrote:

    > Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    > channel ram.
    >
    > Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >
    > Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >
    > Or just forget it.
    >

    > Like to play with some of the newer games.

    Seriously, buy a Playstation.

    EMB, Oct 6, 2007
  9. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:12:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Brian Adams wrote:
    >
    >> Like to play with some of the newer games.

    >Ones using DirectX 10? You'll need Visaster for that...

    No you need a Cray to play those..

    Greg House, Oct 6, 2007
  10. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:26:21 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Brian Adams wrote:
    >>
    >> Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    >> channel ram.
    >>
    >> Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >>
    >> Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >>
    >> Or just forget it.
    >>

    >> Like to play with some of the newer games.

    >Seriously, buy a Playstation.

    But my PC games will not pay on it, Plus a PS3 will cost 5 times more than the 3D card.

    Greg House, Oct 6, 2007
  11. Brian Adams

    EMB Guest

    Greg House wrote:

    > But my PC games will not pay on it, Plus a PS3 will cost 5 times more than the 3D card.

    I assumed by newer games you meant games you were yet to buy - I can't
    see you already owning games that won't play on the hardware you have.

    I do however have reservations about bothering with a better graphics
    card with the CPU you are using

    EMB, Oct 6, 2007
  12. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:48:00 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Greg House wrote:
    >>
    >> But my PC games will not pay on it, Plus a PS3 will cost 5 times more than the 3D card.
    >>

    >I assumed by newer games you meant games you were yet to buy - I can't
    >see you already owning games that won't play on the hardware you have.
    >
    >I do however have reservations about bothering with a better graphics
    >card with the CPU you are using

    I am after people that have changed there 3D card and not the CPU, from a resent Forum web site info
    that dual CPU's had very little affect on Games.

    I have noticed that a few here have updated there AGP cards and did get far better results, and it
    seems they were not using dual core CPU.s

    Greg House, Oct 6, 2007
  13. In article <>,
    says...

    > I am after people that have changed there 3D card and not the CPU, from a resent Forum web site info
    > that dual CPU's had very little affect on Games.
    >
    > I have noticed that a few here have updated there AGP cards and did get far better results, and it
    > seems they were not using dual core CPU.s

    It depends _entirely_ on the particular game. Some games avail themselves of
    hardware accelleration and processing power of the graphics card. Other games,
    some of which I am currently playing, get the cpu to do all the work.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 6, 2007
  14. In message <>, Greg House
    < wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:12:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Brian Adams
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> Like to play with some of the newer games.

    >>Ones using DirectX 10? You'll need Visaster for that...

    > No you need a Cray to play those..

    So, do you want to play those newer games or not?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2007
  15. Brian Adams

    thingy Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 20:09:41 +1300, Roger Sheppard (posting as Greg House
    > <ghouse@yabadabado.>, one of his 150+ aliases) wrote in

    >>> And your budget is

    >> Very very little,...

    > Slow, lonely weekend for you, is it?

    s/weekend/life

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 6, 2007
  16. Brian Adams

    thingy Guest

    Brian Adams wrote:

    > Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    > channel ram.
    >
    > Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >
    > Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >
    > Or just forget it.
    >

    > Like to play with some of the newer games.
    >
    > Thanks..

    Most ppl say dont bother upgrading unless its at least 2 generations of
    video card...

    So, I had a 6600GT but it failed, got a 7600GT and I am pleased.

    Your CPU is good enough for the 7900GS, so I'd go for that, otherwise I
    would not bother with a 7600GT. The other good option is the ATI 1950
    series but I have had issues of not working where the nvidia cards are fine.

    Like me you are caught between a rock and a hard place ie the 478 socket
    is old and obsolete. I have bitten the bullet gone for spending more $
    and getting a AM2 motherboard with pci-e but onboard video, I will
    upgrade to descrete video later.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 6, 2007
  17. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:31:39 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:12:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Ones using DirectX 10? You'll need Visaster for that...

    >> No you need a Cray to play those..

    >So, do you want to play those newer games or not?

    You can with DX9..

    Greg House, Oct 7, 2007
  18. Hi there,

    Brian Adams wrote:

    > Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    > channel ram.
    >
    > Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >
    > Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >
    > Or just forget it.
    >
    > Like to play with some of the newer games.

    Toss a coin - both will work well, but 7900GS will be faster.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 7, 2007
  19. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:02:22 +1300, thingy <thing@/dev/null> wrote:

    >Brian Adams wrote:
    >>
    >> Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    >> channel ram.
    >>
    >> Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >>
    >> Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >>
    >> Or just forget it.
    >>

    >> Like to play with some of the newer games.
    >>
    >> Thanks..
    >>

    >Most ppl say dont bother upgrading unless its at least 2 generations of
    >video card...
    >
    >So, I had a 6600GT but it failed, got a 7600GT and I am pleased.
    >
    >Your CPU is good enough for the 7900GS, so I'd go for that, otherwise I
    >would not bother with a 7600GT. The other good option is the ATI 1950
    >series but I have had issues of not working where the nvidia cards are fine.

    Some comments that I have read about the ATI 1950 Pro.? was that drivers are the problem..?

    Greg House, Oct 7, 2007
  20. Brian Adams

    Greg House Guest

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 09:44:33 +1000, Chris Wilkinson <>
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Brian Adams wrote:
    >>
    >> Currently have a Winfast 6600GT, so with only a P4c 3.2 Gig and 1Gig of Dual
    >> channel ram.
    >>
    >> Intel 875 chipset, Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra MoBo,485 Watt PSU.
    >>
    >> Go for a 7900 GS AGP or the lower 7600 GT AGP.
    >>
    >> Or just forget it.
    >>
    >> Like to play with some of the newer games.

    >Toss a coin - both will work well, but 7900GS will be faster.

    But is my overall system fast enough..?

    IE, CPU P4c 3.2G HT and a Intel chip set 875 MoBo.

    Greg House, Oct 7, 2007