Should I update to FF 1.5?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by santaclaus@merrychristmas.com, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm still running FF 1.0.
    Two reasons.
    1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    those things are called)
    2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).

    I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer. It ran better when I
    had 64 megs ram, but one of the ram strips went bad and it's
    impossible to find ram for an old computer like this (in stores), and
    I refuse to buy more useless junk from Ebay. Besides, someone told me
    that it's not my memory, but that second ran socket on my my
    motherboard thats screwed up.

    I'm a little afraid to upgrade and find it will not run at all.
    Especially after the hassle of reinstalling all those settings and
    stuff.

    PS. If I copy the entire FF directory tree to a backup, and 1.5 dont
    run, can I just copy back the whole thing and make it run, or will all
    the registry settings be screwed up?

    Thanks

    Santa & Mrs. Claus

    (I'm better at making toys and feeding reindeer than these dang
    computers) :)

    , Dec 16, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm still running FF 1.0.
    > Two reasons.
    > 1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    > those things are called)
    > 2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    > requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).
    >
    > I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer. It ran better when I
    > had 64 megs ram, but one of the ram strips went bad and it's
    > impossible to find ram for an old computer like this (in stores), and
    > I refuse to buy more useless junk from Ebay. Besides, someone told me
    > that it's not my memory, but that second ran socket on my my
    > motherboard thats screwed up.
    >
    > I'm a little afraid to upgrade and find it will not run at all.
    > Especially after the hassle of reinstalling all those settings and
    > stuff.
    >
    > PS. If I copy the entire FF directory tree to a backup, and 1.5 dont
    > run, can I just copy back the whole thing and make it run, or will all
    > the registry settings be screwed up?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Santa & Mrs. Claus
    >
    > (I'm better at making toys and feeding reindeer than these dang
    > computers) :)

    Try K-Meleon. Its worked very well for me on underpowered machines.

    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 16, 2005

  3. gwtc Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm still running FF 1.0.
    > Two reasons.
    > 1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    > those things are called)
    > 2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    > requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).
    >
    > I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer. It ran better when I
    > had 64 megs ram, but one of the ram strips went bad and it's
    > impossible to find ram for an old computer like this (in stores), and
    > I refuse to buy more useless junk from Ebay. Besides, someone told me
    > that it's not my memory, but that second ran socket on my my
    > motherboard thats screwed up.
    >
    > I'm a little afraid to upgrade and find it will not run at all.
    > Especially after the hassle of reinstalling all those settings and
    > stuff.
    >
    > PS. If I copy the entire FF directory tree to a backup, and 1.5 dont
    > run, can I just copy back the whole thing and make it run, or will all
    > the registry settings be screwed up?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Santa & Mrs. Claus
    >
    > (I'm better at making toys and feeding reindeer than these dang
    > computers) :)

    Check the RAM chip itself. Take a pencil with an unused eraser end on
    it. Then very lightly with the eraser tip go over the gold stips that
    go into the socket. Do it on both sides. Then take a CD Rom
    cleaining cloth and clean everything off. Now, put the chip back in
    and test it out.

    If that doesn't work, then try going to a Use Computer Store. They
    have all types of chips for all sort of computers.

    Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have. The
    upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, eat up lots of ram. I would,
    however, try and upgrade to 1.0.7. If you installed any extensions
    into the Program Directory, then you'll have to reinstall those into
    the profile directory. If you do this, then uninstall 1.0 first, then
    install the 1.0.7.

    gwtc, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:45:01 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm still running FF 1.0.
    >> Two reasons.
    >> 1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    >> those things are called)
    >> 2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    >> requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).
    >>
    >> I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer. It ran better when I
    >> had 64 megs ram, but one of the ram strips went bad and it's
    >> impossible to find ram for an old computer like this (in stores), and
    >> I refuse to buy more useless junk from Ebay. Besides, someone told me
    >> that it's not my memory, but that second ran socket on my my
    >> motherboard thats screwed up.
    >>
    >> I'm a little afraid to upgrade and find it will not run at all.
    >> Especially after the hassle of reinstalling all those settings and
    >> stuff.
    >>
    >> PS. If I copy the entire FF directory tree to a backup, and 1.5 dont
    >> run, can I just copy back the whole thing and make it run, or will all
    >> the registry settings be screwed up?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Santa & Mrs. Claus
    >>
    >> (I'm better at making toys and feeding reindeer than these dang
    >> computers) :)
    >>

    >Check the RAM chip itself. Take a pencil with an unused eraser end on
    >it. Then very lightly with the eraser tip go over the gold stips that
    >go into the socket. Do it on both sides. Then take a CD Rom
    >cleaining cloth and clean everything off. Now, put the chip back in
    >and test it out.
    >
    >If that doesn't work, then try going to a Use Computer Store. They
    >have all types of chips for all sort of computers.
    >
    >Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have. The
    >upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, eat up lots of ram. I would,
    >however, try and upgrade to 1.0.7. If you installed any extensions
    >into the Program Directory, then you'll have to reinstall those into
    >the profile directory. If you do this, then uninstall 1.0 first, then
    >install the 1.0.7.

    Thanks

    I'll give this a try tomorrow and see what happens.
    I'll hold off on 1.5

    I live in a very rural area. It's impossible to get computer stuff
    around here. Maybe I can find an online supplier thats not Ebay and
    stands behind his stuff.

    Thanks again

    , Dec 16, 2005
  5. Herb Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm still running FF 1.0.
    > Two reasons.
    > 1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    > those things are called)
    > 2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    > requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).
    >
    > I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer. It ran better when I
    > had 64 megs ram, but one of the ram strips went bad and it's
    > impossible to find ram for an old computer like this (in stores), and
    > I refuse to buy more useless junk from Ebay. Besides, someone told me
    > that it's not my memory, but that second ran socket on my my
    > motherboard thats screwed up.
    >
    > I'm a little afraid to upgrade and find it will not run at all.
    > Especially after the hassle of reinstalling all those settings and
    > stuff.
    >
    > PS. If I copy the entire FF directory tree to a backup, and 1.5 dont
    > run, can I just copy back the whole thing and make it run, or will all
    > the registry settings be screwed up?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Santa & Mrs. Claus
    >
    > (I'm better at making toys and feeding reindeer than these dang
    > computers) :)

    Has anyone run into this one?:
    After installing latest FF, 'puter goes thru all the shutdown motions,
    but doesn't shut down -- am left with a black screen and blinking
    cursor at top-left. No msg errors either. I've checked Device Manager
    and no devices are hanging up or remaining open. No unusual processes
    are running. (Win2K with Service Pack 4)

    Herb, Dec 16, 2005
  6. About Upgrading to 1.5,

    the settings and all are automatically imported when you install Fx 1.5
    - just install into the same directory ( I think it even pre-selects
    the driectory). If you are not willing to take the chance, there is a
    utility called 'MozBackup' which can export and import every setting in
    Fx and Thunderbird. Just google it.

    The memory usage and other things are the same as before - its the
    number of extensions that make things difficult.

    HackerOfMinds, Dec 17, 2005
  7. Victor Guest

    "gwtc" wrote...
    :
    > Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have. The
    > upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, eat up lots of ram. I would,
    > however, try and upgrade to 1.0.7. If you installed any extensions
    > into the Program Directory, then you'll have to reinstall those into
    > the profile directory. If you do this, then uninstall 1.0 first, then
    > install the 1.0.7.

    I'm concerned with your "eating lots of RAM" comment.

    I'm running FireFox 1.0.3. Should I upgrade to 1.0.7? If so, how? Will I lose my
    settings and extensions?

    Victor, Dec 18, 2005
  8. Victor wrote:
    > "gwtc" wrote...
    > :
    >> Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have. The
    >> upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, eat up lots of ram. I would,
    >> however, try and upgrade to 1.0.7. If you installed any extensions
    >> into the Program Directory, then you'll have to reinstall those into
    >> the profile directory. If you do this, then uninstall 1.0 first, then
    >> install the 1.0.7.

    > I'm concerned with your "eating lots of RAM" comment.
    >
    > I'm running FireFox 1.0.3. Should I upgrade to 1.0.7? If so, how? Will I lose my
    > settings and extensions?

    1.0.7 is a security release in the 1.0 series. You should certainly
    upgrade, for the security reasons. Your settings are all stored in your
    profile, which is not touched when installing a new version.

    Extensions should not be a problem from 1.0.3 to 1.0.7.

    However, the current version is 1.5, just released. Settings would not
    be a problem there either, but you would need to look for updated
    versions of your extensions.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 18, 2005
  9. Victor Guest

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Victor wrote:
    > > "gwtc" wrote...
    > > :
    > >> Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have. The
    > >> upgrades, as far as I'm concerned, eat up lots of ram. I would,
    > >> however, try and upgrade to 1.0.7. If you installed any extensions
    > >> into the Program Directory, then you'll have to reinstall those into
    > >> the profile directory. If you do this, then uninstall 1.0 first, then
    > >> install the 1.0.7.

    > > I'm concerned with your "eating lots of RAM" comment.
    > >
    > > I'm running FireFox 1.0.3. Should I upgrade to 1.0.7? If so, how? Will I lose my
    > > settings and extensions?
    > >

    > 1.0.7 is a security release in the 1.0 series. You should certainly
    > upgrade, for the security reasons. Your settings are all stored in your
    > profile, which is not touched when installing a new version.
    >
    > Extensions should not be a problem from 1.0.3 to 1.0.7.
    >
    > However, the current version is 1.5, just released. Settings would not
    > be a problem there either, but you would need to look for updated
    > versions of your extensions.

    Thanks! I'll go to 1.0.7.

    If 1.5 uses lots of RAM, I don't want it.

    Victor, Dec 18, 2005
  10. Victor wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> Victor wrote:
    >>> "gwtc" wrote...
    >>> :
    >>> I'm concerned with your "eating lots of RAM" comment.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running FireFox 1.0.3. Should I upgrade to 1.0.7? If so, how? Will I lose my
    >>> settings and extensions?
    >>>

    >> 1.0.7 is a security release in the 1.0 series. You should certainly
    >> upgrade, for the security reasons. Your settings are all stored in your
    >> profile, which is not touched when installing a new version.
    >>
    >> Extensions should not be a problem from 1.0.3 to 1.0.7.
    >>
    >> However, the current version is 1.5, just released. Settings would not
    >> be a problem there either, but you would need to look for updated
    >> versions of your extensions.

    > Thanks! I'll go to 1.0.7.
    >
    > If 1.5 uses lots of RAM, I don't want it.

    Some people see that, some don't. I don't.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 18, 2005
  11. Splibbilla Guest

    in news::

    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:45:01 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm still running FF 1.0.
    >>> Two reasons.
    >>> 1. I hate having to reinstall all my settings and patches (or whatever
    >>> those things are called)
    >>> 2. I am running FF on an old computer that is below the minimum
    >>> requirements for FF 1.0 (Pentium 233 w/ 32 megs ram).

    in large urban areas, you can buy a box (20gb, 128 ram, 1.? celeron) for <~$300, so people toss <400mhz into the recycling. :-(

    >>> I like FF, but it runs slow on this computer.

    snip

    >>Otherwise, I would stick with the firefox that you have.

    if you don't *need* extensions or convenience, you might try k-meleon. but you would want want of the patch upgraded builds
    for security reasons?
    caveat: i tried a few of these 'update build' versions this summer and fall, but they tended to crash. (on win-me)
    they all load really fast, though.

    i haven't tried:
    http://www.offbyone.com/

    there's also at least one DOS browser. i have no idea if it/they choke/s on css or other 'modern' webcraft.

    often recommended collection, but may not help, since it's historical (obsolete stuff is likely)
    http://browsers.evolt.org/

    opera 8 is about the same dl size 4mb, and may not load faster. the free version of older, faster ver might still be "ad ware", but
    v8 is freeware. also older ver may not be secure.

    Splibbilla, Dec 22, 2005
  12. Splibbilla Guest

    Splibbilla <> in

    http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/