    I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 9, 2007

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
    > Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    > <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>

    Includes tolls right? Otherwise that's $99.95

    > However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    > <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>

    I can't see the plan you mean. Does one of the "managed" options cover it? I
    cn't find a definition of that term.

    > But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
    > support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
    > and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get
    > a feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
    > with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
    > I can live with that providing I never have to call them...

    Good luck with that. Seriously.

    > I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their over-zealous
    reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been excellent.

    (I hope your email in the headers is working, I've emailed you).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2007

  3. ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
    > > Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    > > <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>

    > Includes tolls right? Otherwise that's $99.95

    G'day Shaun :) Yup, I make very few toll calls so I could care less who
    provides that service.

    > > However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    > > <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>

    > I can't see the plan you mean. Does one of the "managed" options cover it? I
    > cn't find a definition of that term.

    Down the bottom of the page is a summary of the options selected.
    Managed in this respect means a 700 MB per day allowance - exactly what
    I get on Actrix now.

    > > But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
    > > support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
    > > and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get
    > > a feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
    > > with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
    > > I can live with that providing I never have to call them...

    > Good luck with that. Seriously.

    Heh, thanks :-D It wasn't exactly confidence inspiring!

    > > I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    > I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their over-zealous
    > reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been excellent.
    >
    > (I hope your email in the headers is working, I've emailed you).
    >
    > Cheers,

    What's the story there about the complaint, if I may be nosy? My first
    thought is - at least they actually take notice of complaints, thought
    they should _check_ the situation first before reacting. I assume they
    missed that essential step?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 9, 2007
  4. In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
    >
    >However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    ><http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    >
    >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    >(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    >quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    >their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    >accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    >that providing I never have to call them...
    >
    >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that they
    are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a similar one
    cheaper ?

    Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 10, 2007
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Jamie Kahn Genet" typed:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > > I'm happy with Actrix and wouldn't change. Apart from their
    > > over-zealous reaction to a usenet troll's complaint they've been
    > > excellent.

    > What's the story there about the complaint, if I may be nosy? My first
    > thought is - at least they actually take notice of complaints, thought
    > they should _check_ the situation first before reacting. I assume they
    > missed that essential step?

    No actually, they did check, I called the guy a sad vagina, only I used a
    word that rhymes with blunt, in a newsgroup. (They quoted the post, suitably
    censored for delicate sensibilities) The fact that he actually *is* one and
    has been trolling said group for 6 years using an anon remailer seems to
    have no bearing on the matter.

    He was really upset as I'd managed to link him beyond a doubt to another of
    his sockpuppets from several years previous and, in one of those posts, he'd
    forgotten to change the 'return to' addy. Basically I stopped his "hiding
    behind a remailer and throwing s*#t anonymously" routine. He threw his toys
    out of his cot (he *is* an Aussie) and emailed Actrix.

    Actrix emailed me with my "one and only warning" as apparently I was in
    breach of their T&C (and also posted out the same, including a tree's worth
    of paper, their whole T&C).

    There is a clause in the T&C which states that you can't use their service
    to "cause someone a loss of dignity". Doing so can be fatal to your
    contract. Therefore I wouldn't dare suggest that you may be less than
    extremely handsome and a genius or you might complain and I'd be up s#%t
    creek..... Something to be aware of when choosing an ISP if you get into
    berating trolls.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2007
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Tony Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    > <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
    >
    > However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    > <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    >
    > But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    > (with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    > quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    > their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    > accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    > that providing I never have to call them...
    >
    > I'd love to hear what others have experienced.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
    Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.

    Tony, Oct 10, 2007
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-10-10, Tony <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit> wrote:

    > Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
    > Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.

    Yes! NDSL is here albeit it in beta form, and it rocks. It looks like 2008
    will see some levelling of the playing field.

    Good to here this news.

    Gordon, Oct 10, 2007
  8. ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    [snip]
    > There is a clause in the T&C which states that you can't use their service
    > to "cause someone a loss of dignity". Doing so can be fatal to your
    > contract. Therefore I wouldn't dare suggest that you may be less than
    > extremely handsome and a genius or you might complain and I'd be up s#%t
    > creek..... Something to be aware of when choosing an ISP if you get into
    > berating trolls.
    >
    > Cheers,

    LOL. Well, hey. You're a good looking guy, yourself. Damn, we ALL are.
    What are the odds? :-D

    Gods, what a bullsit clause. Oh ****! I just caused Actrix "loss of
    dignity"...

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large mallet.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 10, 2007
  9. Bruce Sinclair <>
    wrote:

    > In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>,
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
    > Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    > ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144> >
    > >However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    > ><http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    > >
    > >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    > >(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    > >quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    > >their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    > >accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    > >that providing I never have to call them...
    > >
    > >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    > Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that they
    > are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a similar one
    > cheaper ?
    >
    > Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    worth staying at that price.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 10, 2007
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Lodi Guest

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:29 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Bruce Sinclair <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>,
    >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
    >> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    >> ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144> > However Worldnet has the
    >> >same plan for only $59.95 <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    >> >
    >> >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone
    >> >support (with people I can actually understand and who understand me)
    >> >and good quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a
    >> >feel for their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy
    >> >with a thick accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose
    >> >I can live with that providing I never have to call them...
    >> >
    >> >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    >> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that
    >> they are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a
    >> similar one cheaper ?
    >>
    >> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    > Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    > are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    > asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    > didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    > and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    > but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    > plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    > Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    > worth staying at that price.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    FWIW I'm still plodding along with Actrix Go Large. Speeds are in the 2MB
    to 3MB range down and 256K up. Admittedly not FS/FS but still good enough
    for ~60GB per month. Costs $49.95 per month.

    No real complaints about Actrix cost, stability of connection or helpdesk
    support (not that I've needed the help desk in ages)

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 10, 2007
  11. Tony <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    > > <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
    > >
    > > However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    > > <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    > >
    > > But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    > > (with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    > > quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    > > their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    > > accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    > > that providing I never have to call them...
    > >
    > > I'd love to hear what others have experienced.
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
    > Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.

    Hmmm... WorldXchange is not for me. I want a daily cap. I need to know
    exactly what I'll owe at the end of the month, but having my connection
    throttled down for more than a few hours is unacceptable.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 10, 2007
  12. Lodi <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:29 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > Bruce Sinclair <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>,
    > >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
    > >> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95

    > >> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that
    > >> they are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a
    > >> similar one cheaper ?
    > >>
    > >> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    > > Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    > > are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    > > asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    > > didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    > > and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    > > but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    > > plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    > > Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    > > worth staying at that price.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > FWIW I'm still plodding along with Actrix Go Large. Speeds are in the 2MB
    > to 3MB range down and 256K up. Admittedly not FS/FS but still good enough
    > for ~60GB per month. Costs $49.95 per month.
    >
    > No real complaints about Actrix cost, stability of connection or helpdesk
    > support (not that I've needed the help desk in ages)
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Hmmm... Is that even still available?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 10, 2007
  13. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Ross Guest

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:18:34 +1300, (Jamie
    Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:24:29 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>
    >> > Bruce Sinclair <>

    >> > Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    >> > are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    >> > asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    >> > didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    >> > and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    >> > but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    >> > plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    >> > Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    >> > worth staying at that price.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> FWIW I'm still plodding along with Actrix Go Large. Speeds are in the 2MB
    >> to 3MB range down and 256K up. Admittedly not FS/FS but still good enough
    >> for ~60GB per month. Costs $49.95 per month.
    >>
    >> No real complaints about Actrix cost, stability of connection or helpdesk
    >> support (not that I've needed the help desk in ages)
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi

    >Hmmm... Is that even still available?

    Even better value, go onto their CyberJet 256KB plan. $49.95 700MB per
    day then dialup speed.

    You actually get about 1.5 MB speed (it started at 256KB last year,
    but several times changed to 1.5 MB for a while. Now it's that speed
    all the time. Don't know if I just got lucky or not.)

    Ross, Oct 10, 2007
  14. Ross <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:18:34 +1300, (Jamie
    > Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Lodi <> wrote:

    > >> FWIW I'm still plodding along with Actrix Go Large. Speeds are in the 2MB
    > >> to 3MB range down and 256K up. Admittedly not FS/FS but still good enough
    > >> for ~60GB per month. Costs $49.95 per month.
    > >>
    > >> No real complaints about Actrix cost, stability of connection or helpdesk
    > >> support (not that I've needed the help desk in ages)
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >> Lodi

    > >Hmmm... Is that even still available?

    > Even better value, go onto their CyberJet 256KB plan. $49.95 700MB per
    > day then dialup speed.
    >
    > You actually get about 1.5 MB speed (it started at 256KB last year,
    > but several times changed to 1.5 MB for a while. Now it's that speed
    > all the time. Don't know if I just got lucky or not.)

    I need FS up.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 10, 2007
  15. In article <1i5s4es.isjw7715xn16wN%>, (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair <>
    >wrote:
    >> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>,
    >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
    >> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    >> ><http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144> >
    >> >However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    >> ><http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    >> >
    >> >But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    >> >(with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    >> >quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    >> >their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    >> >accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    >> >that providing I never have to call them...
    >> >
    >> >I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

    >> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that they
    >> are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a similar one
    >> cheaper ?
    >>
    >> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    >Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    >are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    >asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    >didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    >and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    >but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    >plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    >Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    >worth staying at that price.

    Understood. :)
    That said ... you just said that you talked to a person and that person gave
    you the relevant manager's email address. Assuming that took (say) 5
    minutes, what's that worth to you compared the the unknown other ? :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 11, 2007
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Smiles Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Tony <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >>> Right now I'm on Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95
    >>> <http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144>
    >>>
    >>> However Worldnet has the same plan for only $59.95
    >>> <http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/>
    >>>
    >>> But will Worldnet's service match up to Actrix's excellent phone support
    >>> (with people I can actually understand and who understand me) and good
    >>> quality ADSL? The one time I phoned Worldnet to try and get a feel for
    >>> their service I ended up wishing I hadn't. I got some guy with a thick
    >>> accent following a flowchart *huge sigh* Well, I suppose I can live with
    >>> that providing I never have to call them...
    >>>
    >>> I'd love to hear what others have experienced.
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
    >> Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.

    > Hmmm... WorldXchange is not for me. I want a daily cap. I need to know
    > exactly what I'll owe at the end of the month, but having my connection
    > throttled down for more than a few hours is unacceptable.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    WorldX lets you do that I think. You make your own plan using either a
    data amount or a price point so that at the end of the month you know
    how much you owe and if you hit your cap you can (if you choose to) buy
    more data...

    Smiles, Oct 11, 2007
  17. Smiles <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Tony <> wrote:

    > >> Go WorldXchange with VFX Voice. (http://wxc.co.nz) I am on the beta
    > >> Naked DSL (yes I actually have it !) and it rocks.

    > > Hmmm... WorldXchange is not for me. I want a daily cap. I need to know
    > > exactly what I'll owe at the end of the month, but having my connection
    > > throttled down for more than a few hours is unacceptable.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet

    > WorldX lets you do that I think. You make your own plan using either a
    > data amount or a price point so that at the end of the month you know
    > how much you owe and if you hit your cap you can (if you choose to) buy
    > more data...

    That is not a daily cap, and will not allow me to know exactly how much
    I will owe at the end of the month.

    I need to keep tight control over my budget and not suffer days at a
    time stuck at dialup speed. And on WorldXchange's plans either I'll blow
    my budget, go crazy trying to stay under a certain amount, or go even
    more crazy stuck at dialup speed because I reached my limit before the
    end of the month and my budget won't cover more spending.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 11, 2007
  18. Bruce Sinclair <>
    wrote:

    > In article <1i5s4es.isjw7715xn16wN%>,
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Bruce Sinclair
    > <> >wrote:
    > >> In article <1i5qpcy.vsn001s7c87tN%>,
    > >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote: >Right now I'm on
    > >> Actrix's FS/FS 700MB per day plan for $89.95

    > >> Been happily actrixing for years. Have you thought of telling them that
    > >> they are charging too much for that plan and where you can get a
    > >> similar one cheaper ?
    > >>
    > >> Who knows ... maybe they will meet the price and everyone is happy ? :)

    > >Well, I just tried that and was told new plans being tested right now
    > >are coming out "sometime in the future". But they wouldn't say when. I
    > >asked if they'd price match and was told no, the tech support guys
    > >didn't have the authority, but I could try emailing
    > >and seeing if I got anywhere with management. So I guess I'll try that,
    > >but if that comes to nothing and I fail to see new more competitive
    > >plans soon, well... the economics are easy and I'll be switching to
    > >Worldnet. I just don't use Actrix's excellent support enough to make it
    > >worth staying at that price.

    > Understood. :)
    > That said ... you just said that you talked to a person and that person gave
    > you the relevant manager's email address. Assuming that took (say) 5
    > minutes, what's that worth to you compared the the unknown other ? :) :)

    I got I reply, and as you'll see - it's not very promising. Still, very
    nice to get such a quick reply and personal service. I can't fault
    Actrix on that count...

    > Hi Jamie,
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail.
    >
    > In comparing the plans there is one key difference that I believe you
    > should keep in mind. The WorldNet plan is a maximum of 700MB per day, but
    > if you use that on a regular basis they reserve the right to move you to a
    > different plan
    > (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
    > href="http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/?menu=traffic_management#abou
    > t">http://www.worldnet.co.nz/personal/dsl/?menu=traffic_management#about</
    > a>). The Actrix plan is 700MB of usage that you can use every day if you
    > so desire.
    >
    > The new plan options that have been mentioned should be available any day
    > now. They are more along the lines of adding value to the existing plans
    > as opposed to lower pricing. In saying that, there may be an option there
    > that would allow you to move to a lower usage plan (which is therefore
    > cheaper).
    >
    > Another consideration for you is that your usage is on average under 350MB
    > per day, so regardless of anything else you could look at changing your
    > plan to lower the cost.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave Harding-Shaw
    > National Sales Manager

    [to which I replied...]

    Hi Dave.

    First off - thanks for the prompt reply, it's service like this that
    makes it tough to contemplate leaving Actrix :)

    As to your point that I on average use less 350MB per day - the problem
    there is it is only slightly on average (and some months - as with this
    one - it is slightly MORE than 350MB on average, not less). On those
    days I use more I'd be clawing at the walls if I was throttled down to
    dialup speeds. IME 700MB has been a better limit for me. That way if I
    go over 700MB it's usually very near the end of my day and about time
    for me to pack it in, anyway. Better in my case that I very rarely go
    over my limit than always be in danger of exceeding it. That would put a
    real damper on my work and play. Because there is very little - given
    what I do - that is satisfactory on dialup speeds.

    Really my only hope of staying with you guys lies in these new
    value-added plans adding a whole lot of value. I'll wait another few
    weeks to see what eventuates, but once my rollover date on the 2nd of
    the month approaches I'll need a very good reason to stay with Actrix at
    the current prices. Extra value may not cut it, especially if - as you
    say - the value won't be increased limits on the lower cost plans.

    Cheers again for your reply. I really do appreciate it :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    --
    A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large mallet.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 11, 2007
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    John Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Smiles <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    >> > Hmmm... WorldXchange is not for me. I want a daily cap. I need to know
    >> > exactly what I'll owe at the end of the month, but having my connection
    >> > throttled down for more than a few hours is unacceptable.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet

    >> WorldX lets you do that I think. You make your own plan using either a
    >> data amount or a price point so that at the end of the month you know
    >> how much you owe and if you hit your cap you can (if you choose to) buy
    >> more data...

    > That is not a daily cap, and will not allow me to know exactly how much
    > I will owe at the end of the month.
    >
    > I need to keep tight control over my budget and not suffer days at a
    > time stuck at dialup speed. And on WorldXchange's plans either I'll blow
    > my budget, go crazy trying to stay under a certain amount, or go even
    > more crazy stuck at dialup speed because I reached my limit before the
    > end of the month and my budget won't cover more spending.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    I am not sure I understand your thinking. If you are getting a fixed daily
    limit, say 700MB a day, then in essense you are getting and paying for 20GB
    of data a month, and you are probably paying a premium for it. If you use
    that 700 MB in a day, such as downloading an ISO of Linux, then you will be
    slowed down to dialup speeds for the rest of that day without the ability to
    upgrade your speeds. However if you buy from xnet, 30GB of data for the
    month which is 1000MB per day, then you have got a set amount of data for
    the month, and you know exactly how much you have got to pay at the end of
    the month. You would have a fair idea of how much data you are using, and
    you can easily check your usage to moderate your usage. If you do happen to
    go over then you would just buy an additional amount of data which is about
    $1 per GB. Infact I think that is a lot better than 700MB a day. With the
    700MB plan a day, you would feel like you had to use up that data each and
    every day, otherwise you wouldn't be getting your moneys worth out of the
    plan.

    John, Oct 11, 2007
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    John wrote:

    > I am not sure I understand your thinking. If you are getting a fixed daily
    > limit, say 700MB a day, then in essense you are getting and paying for 20GB
    > of data a month, and you are probably paying a premium for it. If you use
    > that 700 MB in a day, such as downloading an ISO of Linux, then you will be
    > slowed down to dialup speeds for the rest of that day without the ability to
    > upgrade your speeds. However if you buy from xnet, 30GB of data for the
    > month which is 1000MB per day, then you have got a set amount of data for
    > the month, and you know exactly how much you have got to pay at the end of
    > the month. You would have a fair idea of how much data you are using, and
    > you can easily check your usage to moderate your usage. If you do happen to
    > go over then you would just buy an additional amount of data which is about
    > $1 per GB. Infact I think that is a lot better than 700MB a day. With the
    > 700MB plan a day, you would feel like you had to use up that data each and
    > every day, otherwise you wouldn't be getting your moneys worth out of the
    > plan.

    On a 700 meg a day limit, you can download 700 megs, then get dialup
    speed for the rest of the day, thats tollerable since you can usually
    stay up till midnight to do stuff, whereas waiting till the 1st of the
    next month is pretty unbearable.

    20 gigs a month wouldnt work the same, you could get 2 gigs a day for
    the first 10 days, then 20 days of hell. Not comparable at all.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2007