Should I send my D100 back and wait for a D70?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Well - after many years with an F100 and much deliberating, I decided
    to go digital. I had a false start with an Olympus C-750 (great
    pictures, but not responsive enough after the F100) and decided to
    sell it and go for the D100. I decided "Hey how can a D70 be better
    than a D100? It's got a lower number and I'd have to wait 6 months!"
    So I bit the bullet and dropped more money than I wanted to into a
    D100. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver it Monday and then I see the
    press release on Nikon's site for the D70. I keep trying to find
    SOMETHING...ANYTHING that looks better on the D100 but can't find
    anything! I keep hoping that it is built better - but I'm not sure
    that's worth $500. So I pose the question to you...should I send it
    back while I still can and stay frustrated with the C-750 for six
    months (I sold the F100 to pay for the D100) or should I just be happy
    that I have an awesome DSLR and let that be that?

    Thanks for any opinions!

    Mark
    Mark, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Mark

    Linda_N Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Well - after many years with an F100 and much deliberating, I decided
    > to go digital. I had a false start with an Olympus C-750 (great
    > pictures, but not responsive enough after the F100) and decided to
    > sell it and go for the D100. I decided "Hey how can a D70 be better
    > than a D100? It's got a lower number and I'd have to wait 6 months!"
    > So I bit the bullet and dropped more money than I wanted to into a
    > D100. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver it Monday and then I see the
    > press release on Nikon's site for the D70. I keep trying to find
    > SOMETHING...ANYTHING that looks better on the D100 but can't find
    > anything! I keep hoping that it is built better - but I'm not sure
    > that's worth $500. So I pose the question to you...should I send it
    > back while I still can and stay frustrated with the C-750 for six
    > months (I sold the F100 to pay for the D100) or should I just be happy
    > that I have an awesome DSLR and let that be that?
    >
    > Thanks for any opinions!
    >
    > Mark

    Whether to wait or not is a decision only should make, but this resource
    might help you to find out where/if the D100 is better than the D70:
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/firstlook/nikon/d70/nikon_D70_EN08.html

    Also, you would not be waiting 6 months if you did decide on the D70 because
    it will be out in April/2004. It might be wise to a wait a few months after
    the production model hits the shelves just so you can read reviews on it
    since you have a back up camera. The other reason to wait is that there will
    be many more announcements by others and who knows which may be in your best
    interests. It is already February so whats a few weeks for announcements and
    then a few months for product to be delivered. Better than being sorry later
    on.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Mark

    misifus Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Well - after many years with an F100 and much deliberating, I decided
    > to go digital. I had a false start with an Olympus C-750 (great
    > pictures, but not responsive enough after the F100) and decided to
    > sell it and go for the D100. I decided "Hey how can a D70 be better
    > than a D100? It's got a lower number and I'd have to wait 6 months!"
    > So I bit the bullet and dropped more money than I wanted to into a
    > D100. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver it Monday and then I see the
    > press release on Nikon's site for the D70. I keep trying to find
    > SOMETHING...ANYTHING that looks better on the D100 but can't find
    > anything! I keep hoping that it is built better - but I'm not sure
    > that's worth $500. So I pose the question to you...should I send it
    > back while I still can and stay frustrated with the C-750 for six
    > months (I sold the F100 to pay for the D100) or should I just be happy
    > that I have an awesome DSLR and let that be that?
    >
    > Thanks for any opinions!
    >
    > Mark

    Well, a bird in the hand and so forth. The D-100 is a tried and
    de-bugged camera, the D-70 still has to go through that process
    of acceptance. In fact, for the D-70, you would have to wait
    several months. In my opinion, waiting for the last work in any
    high tech item is futile. No matter how long you wait, someone
    will announce something better by time your newest, latest item
    gets into you hands. So, ya pays yer money and you takes yer
    chances. My son-in-law just bought a D-100, and it is an
    excellent camera. The D-70 may have some improved features and a
    lower price, but if you've got the D-100, it's not a bad thing.

    -Raf

    --
    Misifus-
    Rafael Seibert
    misifus, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Mark

    Mark M Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > Well - after many years with an F100 and much deliberating, I decided
    > to go digital. I had a false start with an Olympus C-750 (great
    > pictures, but not responsive enough after the F100) and decided to
    > sell it and go for the D100. I decided "Hey how can a D70 be better
    > than a D100? It's got a lower number and I'd have to wait 6 months!"
    > So I bit the bullet and dropped more money than I wanted to into a
    > D100. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver it Monday and then I see the
    > press release on Nikon's site for the D70. I keep trying to find
    > SOMETHING...ANYTHING that looks better on the D100 but can't find
    > anything! I keep hoping that it is built better - but I'm not sure
    > that's worth $500. So I pose the question to you...should I send it
    > back while I still can and stay frustrated with the C-750 for six
    > months (I sold the F100 to pay for the D100) or should I just be happy
    > that I have an awesome DSLR and let that be that?
    >
    > Thanks for any opinions!
    >
    > Mark

    I know what I would do...
    ....I wouldn't buy ANY major purchase digital directly before PMA.
    Even if you decide to stick with the D100, it is highly likely that the
    price of it will drop as new announcements are released that may slow the
    demand for it.

    So personally, I would return it and wait...if not for the D70...then for a
    great deal on a D100.
    And who knows??? Nikon may have a surprise upgrade of the D100 up their
    sleeve at PMA.
    Mark M, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Mark

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I personally would not wait for the D70 unless you have another camera on hand.
    Nikon has not been very consistant with their prediction on when the cameras
    would hit the market. Based on past history, on a new inovative model, 6 months
    from the date it was announced to the camera being available in stores is a
    reasonable expectation. Just look at the review sites and the dates between the
    original announcement and the date when the actual review with a production
    type camera was made.

    At Steves-Digicams, the "first look' article was published on 5/29/02, full
    review 7/28/02 and the conclusion updated 10/7/02.

    I would say that if you have your heart set on the D70, you can expect about
    5-6 months before you have it in your hands and even then expect a firmware
    update 3 months later.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Mark

    Wessy1 Guest

    Afer having used a D100 on nealy a daily basis for the past three months, I can
    recommend the D100. It feels great and works great. The although the D70 is
    described as being nearly the same camera, but cheaper, I have noticed a couple
    of differences that would lead me to stick with the D100.

    #1: Body construction. While both cameras have a plastic shell, the D100 has
    a metal frame inside. Even if the D70's plastic body last the same length of
    time, the metal frame makes it feel like a sturdier camera. (I'm still used to
    using full metal bodied cameras...plastic just doesn't feel right)

    # 2: The D100 can be equipped with an optional power base that mounts on the
    bottom of the camera. Not only does it give the camera some extra length to
    make it fit in my hand better, it also holds a second battery. I have shot for
    nearly two months on the same set of rechargable batteries and still have a
    full charge showing. The base also has function controls and a shutter release
    that mimmicks those on the top of the camera. If you take many vertical shots,
    these extra controls come in handy. Also, the power base has a voice recorder
    so if you want to record verbal notes with your photos, you can. From the
    reviews and specs that I have read on the D70, it will not accept this or other
    power bases.

    However, I did buy a coolpix 5700 for personal use last Spring, mainly because
    I could not afford the cost of a D100. Although the 5700 is a good camera, if
    I had known the D70 was coming out, I would have waited (painfully) for it to
    arrive.

    Hope this helps.
    Wessy1, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Mark

    D.Yacovone Guest

    Why are you stuck on the D100 or D70. You have to be paying atleast between
    $1400.- $1600.00 for each of these cameras. If the durability and feel is a
    concern keep your eyes open for a used D1. I'm sure with the arrival of the
    D2H even the cost of the D1x which has more megapixels than the D1 will be
    within the same price range. Unless you are competly stuck on the idea of a
    having a 6 meg camera . A 5 megapixel camera is not a bad thing.

    D.Yacovone, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Mark

    Guest

    "Linda_N" <> wrote:

    > It is already February so whats a few weeks for announcements and
    >then a few months for product to be delivered. Better than being sorry later
    >on.

    Well the fall show is even bigger than the one in Vegas, and I'm sure there
    will be more product announcements then. Better digitals. Lower prices.
    More bang for the buck. If you can wait a few months, I'd wait a few more
    months.

    Of course, then if you've already waited 'til fall, might want to wait again
    'til next spring, yet again...

    Here's my advice: If you buy a digital body, do not read these newsgroups
    for a year. Do not read product announcements for a year. Do not go camera
    shopping again. There is something in the works that will be better. If
    you don't need a digital now, don't buy one now. Buy one when you need one.

    Conversely, if you need one now, buy one now. Don't wait.
    , Jan 31, 2004
  9. Mark

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    #3: The D100 has an incredibly useful "anti-mirror" feature that
    superbly counters mirror vibration on photos with long telephoto
    lenses on a tripod. I have shot the moon with a 500mm lens and
    my Kenko Pro 300 3x TC (1500mm, which become a whopping
    2250mm in digital) and got some superbly sharp photos. Without
    anti-mirror, they wouldn't be nearly as good. Now the D70 MIGHT
    include this feature, but so far I haven't seen any confirmation.
    I fear it's of the few things they have eliminated, like ISO 3200
    and 6400.
    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 31, 2004
  10. Mark

    Mike Guest

    "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > Wessy1 wrote:
    >
    > > #1: Body construction. While both cameras have a plastic shell, the
    > > D100 has a metal frame inside. Even if the D70's plastic body last
    > > the same length of time, the metal frame makes it feel like a
    > > sturdier camera. (I'm still used to using full metal bodied
    > > cameras...plastic just doesn't feel right)
    > >
    > > # 2: The D100 can be equipped with an optional power base that
    > > mounts on the bottom of the camera. Not only does it give the camera
    > > some extra length to make it fit in my hand better, it also holds a
    > > second battery. I have shot for nearly two months on the same set of
    > > rechargable batteries and still have a full charge showing. The base
    > > also has function controls and a shutter release that mimmicks those
    > > on the top of the camera. If you take many vertical shots, these
    > > extra controls come in handy. Also, the power base has a voice
    > > recorder so if you want to record verbal notes with your photos, you
    > > can. From the reviews and specs that I have read on the D70, it will
    > > not accept this or other power bases.

    > #3: The D100 has an incredibly useful "anti-mirror" feature that
    > superbly counters mirror vibration on photos with long telephoto
    > lenses on a tripod. I have shot the moon with a 500mm lens and
    > my Kenko Pro 300 3x TC (1500mm, which become a whopping
    > 2250mm in digital) and got some superbly sharp photos. Without
    > anti-mirror, they wouldn't be nearly as good. Now the D70 MIGHT
    > include this feature, but so far I haven't seen any confirmation.
    > I fear it's of the few things they have eliminated, like ISO 3200
    > and 6400.
    >
    > Pablo,

    Check out this site http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_page3.shtml It
    may change your mind.
    Regards MikeS
    Mike, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Mark

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Check out this site http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_page3.shtml
    It
    > may change your mind.
    > Regards MikeS

    Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror Anti-Shake are two different things. The D100 has
    both.
    Lock up is used for cleaning the CCD and Anti-Shake is for reducing camera
    vibration prior to exposeure.

    The D70 specs show Mirror Lock-Up but not Mirror Anti-Shake.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 31, 2004
  12. Mark

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Paolo Pizzi, Jan 31, 2004
  13. Mark

    Mark M Guest

    "D.Yacovone" <> wrote in message
    > Why are you stuck on the D100 or D70. You have to be paying atleast

    between
    > $1400.- $1600.00 for each of these cameras. If the durability and feel is

    > concern keep your eyes open for a used D1. I'm sure with the arrival of

    the
    > D2H even the cost of the D1x which has more megapixels than the D1 will be
    > within the same price range. Unless you are competly stuck on the idea of

    > having a 6 meg camera . A 5 megapixel camera is not a bad thing.

    A D1 has less than 3MP.
    Mark M, Jan 31, 2004
  14. Mark

    Mark M Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > > Check out this site

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_page3.shtml
    > It
    > > may change your mind.
    > > Regards MikeS

    > Mirror Lock-Up and Mirror Anti-Shake are two different things. The D100

    has
    > both.
    > Lock up is used for cleaning the CCD

    No. Lock up is for reducing shake in long exposure shots...but not the type
    of vibration reduction being referred to...
    Mark M, Jan 31, 2004
  15. Mark

    Mark M Guest

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    > > Check out this site
    > > http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_page3.shtml
    > > It may change your mind.

    > It doesn't say anything about the anti-mirror.
    > Mirror lockup is an entirely different thing
    > and it can only be used to clean the sensor.

    Is that the only way to use mirror lock-up with the Nikon?
    Usually teh term mirror lock-up means you can lock the mirror in teh up
    position just prior to taking a long exposure shot for further reduction of
    vibration.
    Mark M, Jan 31, 2004
  16. Mark

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > No. Lock up is for reducing shake in long exposure shots...but not the

    type
    > of vibration reduction being referred to...

    Mark, in the traditional sense you are correct, mirror lock-up is for
    reducing shake.

    However in the Nikon D100 mirror lock-up is used only for ccd cleaning..
    nothing else.
    There is a setting in the menu for "Mirror Anti-Shock", it is this setting
    that is used for vibration reduction. NOT mirror lock-up. I have the
    camera right in front of me, this is how it works.
    You can not take a picture in mirror lock-up mode with the D100, you must
    use the "Anti-Shock" mode. I know it seems contradictive but that is how it
    works with the D100.

    Jim

    Jim Waggener, Jan 31, 2004
  17. Mark

    > > No. Lock up is for reducing shake in long exposure shots...but not the

    > type
    > > of vibration reduction being referred to...

    > Mark, in the traditional sense you are correct, mirror lock-up is for
    > reducing shake.
    >
    > However in the Nikon D100 mirror lock-up is used only for ccd cleaning..
    > nothing else.
    > There is a setting in the menu for "Mirror Anti-Shock", it is this setting
    > that is used for vibration reduction. NOT mirror lock-up. I have the
    > camera right in front of me, this is how it works.
    > You can not take a picture in mirror lock-up mode with the D100, you must
    > use the "Anti-Shock" mode. I know it seems contradictive but that is how

    it
    > works with the D100.

    Thanks for clearing that up, Jim.
    It seems a strange reference for something so closely tied with real "mirror
    lock-up."
    Mark M, Jan 31, 2004
  18. Mark

    Linda_N Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Linda_N" <> wrote:
    >
    > > It is already February so whats a few weeks for announcements and
    > >then a few months for product to be delivered. Better than being sorry

    later
    > >on.

    > Well the fall show is even bigger than the one in Vegas, and I'm sure

    there
    > will be more product announcements then. Better digitals. Lower prices.
    > More bang for the buck. If you can wait a few months, I'd wait a few more
    > months.

    That Fall is far away, February is not. The question asked was if he should
    wait for the D70. It is common sense that there will always be something
    better, and that prices will drop, but buying just before the PMA is
    probably not the smartest thing to do for both price reasons (price drops on
    older models) and to see what is currently either made or near completion.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Jan 31, 2004
  19. Mark

    Mike Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Paolo Pizzi" <> wrote in message
    > > Mike wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check out this site
    > > > http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70_page3.shtml
    > > > It may change your mind.

    > > It doesn't say anything about the anti-mirror.
    > > Mirror lockup is an entirely different thing
    > > and it can only be used to clean the sensor.

    > Is that the only way to use mirror lock-up with the Nikon?
    > Usually teh term mirror lock-up means you can lock the mirror in teh up
    > position just prior to taking a long exposure shot for further reduction

    of
    > vibration.

    Dear All,
    I take your point on mirror lock-up. My film SLR Nikon f50 does not have
    mirror lock-up, so I cope in the following way:-

    I find out what the exposure will be and set the camera to manual mode set
    to bulb or 30 secs cover up the lens fire the shutter and remove the cover
    count up the time and cover up the lens when time is up. and close shutter.
    It works for me.
    MikeS
    Mike, Feb 1, 2004
  20. Mark

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mike writes:
    > I take your point on mirror lock-up. My film SLR Nikon f50 does not have
    >mirror lock-up, so I cope in the following way:-
    >
    >I find out what the exposure will be and set the camera to manual mode set
    >to bulb or 30 secs cover up the lens fire the shutter and remove the cover
    >count up the time and cover up the lens when time is up. and close shutter.
    >It works for me.

    I've heard of doing this before, but never tried it. How is this affecting your
    anti-shake needs? It seems to me to give you two opportunities to shake the
    camera, instead of the one of the mirror moving. I'm clumsy enough that that
    kind of solution would create more shake than it eliminated.

    Charlie Self
    "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
    sure."
    Mark Twain
    Charlie Self, Feb 1, 2004