    Comments, suggestions, please!

    Cheers,

    steve

    Steve, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Steve

    MarkH Guest

    Steve <> wrote in news:cmjavu$eam$:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Just got the letter through the mail about ihug's wonderful new
    > offerings. However, they seem to completely ignore the new offerings
    > from xtra... 2mbit access+10GB/month, etc.
    >
    > Apart from the fact that their news server is (fairly) reliable, I think
    > it's time to move on. They're just too expensive, and it costs $10/month
    > to resolve another domain!
    >
    > Seeing as I use my own mail server, and don't need much webspace, where
    > should I go? orcon? xtra?

    Orcon is currently offering only 256k, but no data cap and no slowdown
    after 10GB.

    Xtra is offering 2Mbit, but speed limited to 64k after exceeding 10GB in
    the month (until the next month starts).

    Telecom have indicated that in about 6 months they will wholesale the 2Mbit
    connection to ISPs (like Orcon and Ihug). But many will join Xtra in the
    mean time, that's the advantage of being a monopoly in a country with a
    weak commerce commision.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Steve <> wrote in news:cmjavu$eam$:
    >

    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >>Just got the letter through the mail about ihug's wonderful new
    >>offerings. However, they seem to completely ignore the new offerings
    >>from xtra... 2mbit access+10GB/month, etc.
    >>
    >>Apart from the fact that their news server is (fairly) reliable, I think
    >>it's time to move on. They're just too expensive, and it costs $10/month
    >>to resolve another domain!
    >>
    >>Seeing as I use my own mail server, and don't need much webspace, where
    >>should I go? orcon? xtra?

    > Orcon is currently offering only 256k, but no data cap and no slowdown
    > after 10GB.

    Incorrect, Orcon are offering JetStream Plus (2Mbit/10GB/64Mbit) at
    $69.95/month.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Steve

    MarkH Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:418d426f$1_1@127.0.0.1:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >> Orcon is currently offering only 256k, but no data cap and no
    >> slowdown after 10GB.

    > Incorrect, Orcon are offering JetStream Plus (2Mbit/10GB/64Mbit) at
    > $69.95/month.

    Surely if this was true they would have told me about it, I am a customer
    of theirs after all.

    <checks website>

    Then again maybe they don't want to heavily promote a service that they
    make next to nothing on? But indeed they do offer the option of using the
    new Jetstream Plus plan.

    I stand corrected!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 7-nov-2004)

    MarkH, Nov 7, 2004
  5. Steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:418d426f$1_1@127.0.0.1:
    >

    >>MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>>Orcon is currently offering only 256k, but no data cap and no
    >>>slowdown after 10GB.

    >>Incorrect, Orcon are offering JetStream Plus (2Mbit/10GB/64Mbit) at
    >>$69.95/month.

    Oops, meant 64Kbit :)

    > Surely if this was true they would have told me about it, I am a customer
    > of theirs after all.

    ROTFL

    -=rjh=-, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:418d426f$1_1@127.0.0.1:

    >>> Incorrect, Orcon are offering JetStream Plus (2Mbit/10GB/64Mbit) at
    >>> $69.95/month.

    > Oops, meant 64Kbit :)

    That's just getting a bit too Asynchronous for my liking! I tought the
    new xtra stuff was 2Mbit/192kbit/10GB.

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Steve

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:04:48 +1300, Steve <> wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >> MarkH wrote:

    >> Oops, meant 64Kbit :)

    >That's just getting a bit too Asynchronous for my liking! I tought the
    >new xtra stuff was 2Mbit/192kbit/10GB.

    Nope, 64Mbps it is :(

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Steve

    JohnO Guest

    "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:04:48 +1300, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    > >-=rjh=- wrote:

    > >> Oops, meant 64Kbit :)

    > >That's just getting a bit too Asynchronous for my liking! I tought the
    > >new xtra stuff was 2Mbit/192kbit/10GB.
    > >

    > Nope, 64Mbps it is :(

    Now THAT's what I call broadband! :)

    JohnO, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Steve

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:07:20 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"DoggNZ" <> wrote in message

    >> >That's just getting a bit too Asynchronous for my liking! I tought the
    >> >new xtra stuff was 2Mbit/192kbit/10GB.
    >> >

    >> Nope, 64Mbps it is :(
    >>

    >Now THAT's what I call broadband! :)

    Ahh crap..I meant 64Kbits too..LOL!

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 8, 2004
  10. Steve

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:

    >> Oops, meant 64Kbit :)

    > That's just getting a bit too Asynchronous for my liking! I tought the
    > new xtra stuff was 2Mbit/192kbit/10GB.

    Yes, then 64Kbit. I should have been clearer.

    Interesting to see one of the Aussie ISP plans offers is for 256/64Kbps
    (with shaping to 64Kbps after a 300MB monthly cap, too) and costs
    $59.95; while another is 512/128 with shaping down to 28.8Kbps after a
    400MB monthly cap! But that is only $29.95. :)

    Big Blue Launch 256 Flat Rate is $39.95 is 256/64 then shaped to 64
    after 2GB; and Big Pond 200MB ADSL is 256/64 to 200MB (yes, you read
    that right!) then 15c/MB!

    All p17 of Australian PC User November 2004.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 9, 2004