    slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.

    thanks

    , Nov 18, 2005

  2. Martik Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    > slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.
    >
    > thanks

    Will not slow down, I have a 700mhz/256mb laptop and XP runs just fine.

    SP2 contains security updates and enhancements that are worthwhile

    Martik, Nov 18, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    >i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    > slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.
    >
    > thanks

    It will unless you first soak your computer in a sink full of warm water
    with 2-3 tablespoons of salt dissolved in it. Leave it in there about 15-20
    minutes and dry briskly with a clean bath towel.

    Be sure to remove the battery first though and make sure it's unpluged from
    the charger too.

    Pat

    Patrick Cleburne, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    <> opined very noisily:
    > i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    > slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.
    >
    > thanks

    If you want to run WINDOWS get SP2 if not get Linux or 98 SE
    ;-)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#1

    Plato, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    > slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.

    There's always the saying, if it aint broke.........

    Plato, Nov 18, 2005
  7. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    >> slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.

    > There's always the saying, if it aint broke.........

    It's Windows, it's by Microsoft - it's always been broken!

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 18, 2005
  8. Martik Guest

    "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    >>> slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.

    >> There's always the saying, if it aint broke.........

    > It's Windows, it's by Microsoft - it's always been broken!

    Yes, but a reinstall does wonders

    Martik, Nov 18, 2005
  9. burris Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    >>slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > Will not slow down, I have a 700mhz/256mb laptop and XP runs just fine.
    >
    > SP2 contains security updates and enhancements that are worthwhile

    I have XP Pro with SP1. Since I never use IE or OE or any other
    peripheral MS functions and since I diligently install all the latest
    patches and fixes and since I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively
    and have a good anti-virus and firewall, what else would SP2 do for me?

    burris, Nov 18, 2005
  10. blueford Guest

    blueford, Nov 18, 2005
  11. D3m3nt3d Guest

    blueford Wrote:
    > Do not, I repeat, Do not install WinXP SP2! It screwwed up my system
    > And I had to re-install 28 apps, 18 gigs of porn, 5 gigs of musi
    > because SP2 is F'd up.

    Actually if you update all your BIOS, chipset, video card etc and the
    install SP2 you should not have any issues

    --
    D3m3nt3

    *-D3m3nt3d-* :boxing:

    *Check out our new website for many free downloads of tools and tweak
    at * '*www.ianag.com*' (http://www.ianag.com
    D3m3nt3d's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1477
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181910571

    D3m3nt3d, Nov 18, 2005
  12. English Patient, Nov 18, 2005
  13. Trax Guest

    burris <> wrote:

    |>Martik wrote:
    |>> <> wrote in message

    |>> Will not slow down, I have a 700mhz/256mb laptop and XP runs just fine.

    |>> SP2 contains security updates and enhancements that are worthwhile

    |>I have XP Pro with SP1. Since I never use IE or OE or any other
    |>peripheral MS functions and since I diligently install all the latest
    |>patches and fixes and since I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively
    |>and have a good anti-virus and firewall, what else would SP2 do for me?

    DEP, tho I've never seen a benefit, still seeing buffer overflow
    exploits. BlueTooth support, and many other improvements.
    http://tinyurl.com/22dt3

    If your system is old (small HD) it can really take up some space the
    WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory alone is 500megs.

    --
    notpr0n - "The hardest riddle available on the internet"
    http://www.deathball.net/notpron/levelone.htm

    Trax, Nov 18, 2005
  14. Martik Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > burris <> wrote:

    > fine.

    > |>I have XP Pro with SP1. Since I never use IE or OE or any other
    > |>peripheral MS functions and since I diligently install all the latest
    > |>patches and fixes and since I use Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively
    > |>and have a good anti-virus and firewall, what else would SP2 do for me?
    >
    > DEP, tho I've never seen a benefit, still seeing buffer overflow
    > exploits. BlueTooth support, and many other improvements.
    > http://tinyurl.com/22dt3
    >
    > If your system is old (small HD) it can really take up some space the
    > WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory alone is 500megs.

    Can be deleted after install

    Martik, Nov 19, 2005
  15. *x@y* Guest

    "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message .

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:437d6a88$1$322$...
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> i have a 1.5 ghz laptop with 256 megs of ram... will service pack 2
    >>> slow down the performance of the laptop? is sp2 even worth it.

    >> There's always the saying, if it aint broke.........

    > It's Windows, it's by Microsoft - it's always been broken!
    >
    > **SS**

    If You decide to install, log on to the tinyurl below for more Info.

    http://tinyurl.com/aupyn

    Lol ☺x@y☺

    *x@y*, Nov 19, 2005
  16. Trax Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote:

    |>"Trax" <> wrote in message

    |>> fine.

    |>> DEP, tho I've never seen a benefit, still seeing buffer overflow
    |>> exploits. BlueTooth support, and many other improvements.
    |>> http://tinyurl.com/22dt3
    |>>
    |>> If your system is old (small HD) it can really take up some space the
    |>> WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory alone is 500megs.

    |>Can be deleted after install

    I've got an uninstall in my add\remove, whether it works or not I
    don't know. Found this by clicking on support question in the
    add\remove
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113
    a detailed list of SP2 changes

    Trax, Nov 19, 2005