    released then?

    If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.

    Fire3Sky

    Fire3Sky, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Fire3Sky

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>,
    (Fire3Sky) wrote:

    > I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've read,
    > Lucas won't release them.
    >
    > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
    > anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
    > released then?
    >
    > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.

    Why don't you write that nice Mr. Lucas a letter and *ask* him to release
    them? From what I hear, he loves to hear from fans, pays close attention to
    their concerns and wishes, and almost always acts on matters of concern they
    bring to his attention. I'm sure that if you asked him nicely and maybe sent
    him some cookies and a couple of pairs of hand-knitted socks, he'd be happy
    to release the originals, just for you.

    G. M. Watson, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Fire3Sky

    Meng Guest

    Fire3Sky wrote:

    > I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've read,
    > Lucas won't release them.
    >
    > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
    > anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
    > released then?
    >
    > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
    >
    > Fire3Sky

    Lucas once said that the Star Wars films would never be released on
    VHS and look what happened, so there's always hope. Don't hold your
    breath though.

    Meng, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Fire3Sky

    Sue Guest

    Since Lucas is so set on thwarting the piracy of his work (one of the
    reasons he released the films on DVD now rather than wait until all 3
    prequels were done, which was his original plan), I imagine at some
    point, he's goingto have to give in and put out the unchanged originals.
    Those are the big bootleg targets these days. Otherwise, he's just
    standing by and allowing the pirates to continue to profit from his
    films, from fans who have no choice but to buy the bootlegs if they want
    permanent copies of the original movies.

    His comment about 'Oh, well, if they want the originals, there's always
    the VHS versions', is rather sly, because a) you can't buy the VHS
    versions anymore, and b) VHS tapes eventually degrade to the point of
    being unwatchable. So really, that's not an option.

    My guess is he'll release them in a 30th anniversary package in 2007,
    along with the three changed original versions and the three prequels.
    Meanwhile, there's always the laserdisc versions of the originals if you
    want to invest in a laserdisc player, or the DVD bootlegs of those.
    There's tons of 'em on ebay.

    Sue, Dec 5, 2004
  5. My money is on that Lucas will *never* release the original versions, because
    in his mind, he was unsatisfied with them and feels that the changes he made in
    the newer versions 'fixed mistakes' and 'corrected things the way he had
    originally meant them to be'.

    In his mind, he'd be putting broken product back on the market even though he
    spent all the time and money to fix it to be released the way he had originally
    intended.

    I don't see it happening.
    Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
    AMcom

    Patrick W. Heinske, Dec 5, 2004
  6. We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

    SpiderManHouston, Dec 5, 2004
  7. Fire3Sky

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <>,
    (SpiderManHouston) wrote:

    > We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

    Don't let that give you any ideas, though.

    G. M. Watson, Dec 5, 2004
  8. Fire3Sky

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    SpiderManHouston wrote:

    > We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

    Maybe 10 years after that because it could take that long to settle
    out ownership rights. More money involved = more lawyers.

    Personally I don't understand this obsession with the "original"
    editions. Most of the changes that Lucas made with the special editions
    - F/X cleanup, continuity fixes - improved this pictures a bit. Yes,
    changing it so Greedo (if I recall the name correctly) shoots first or
    now the same time as Hans Solo or having a young Hayden Christensen at
    the end of ROTJ is a bit silly. But all in all, the special editions are
    the same movies with mostly minor changes in substance, from what I
    could tell.

    Of course, in a few years with improving CGI technology, we may see
    yet a Real Special Edition 3.0 release with Jar-Jar placed into each of
    3 original movies or Mark Hamill digitally replaced with an even more
    wooden actor than Hayden Christensen. Perish the thought!

    Alan Figgatt

    Alan Figgatt, Dec 5, 2004
  9. Fire3Sky

    Bill Guest

    > Of course, in a few years with improving CGI technology, we may see
    > yet a Real Special Edition 3.0 release with Jar-Jar placed into each of 3
    > original movies or Mark Hamill digitally replaced with an even more wooden
    > actor than Hayden Christensen. Perish the thought!
    >
    > Alan Figgatt

    Jar-Jar is already in the new version of "Return of the Jedi"--well, at
    least what appears to be his voice is there. During the closing celebration
    scenes, if you listen closely while the camera pans one city, there is
    someone in the background who sounds a lot like Jar-Jar screaming,
    "We's-a-free!!!!"

    Someone else pointed this out in another posting on this newsgroup shortly
    after the release of the DVD set--it's indeed there, for better or worse.

    Bill, Dec 5, 2004
  10. Fire3Sky

    Jerry Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message

    > ----------
    > In article <>,

    > (Fire3Sky) wrote:
    >

    > > I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've

    read,
    > > Lucas won't release them.
    > >
    > > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the

    30th
    > > anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will

    be
    > > released then?
    > >
    > > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
    > >

    > Why don't you write that nice Mr. Lucas a letter and *ask* him to release
    > them? From what I hear, he loves to hear from fans, pays close attention

    > their concerns and wishes, and almost always acts on matters of concern

    they
    > bring to his attention. I'm sure that if you asked him nicely and maybe

    sent
    > him some cookies and a couple of pairs of hand-knitted socks, he'd be

    happy
    > to release the originals, just for you.

    Is being an obnoxious idiot a genetic trait in your family, or did you take
    special classes?

    Jerry, Dec 6, 2004
  11. Fire3Sky

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Fire3Sky wrote:
    > I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything
    > I've read, Lucas won't release them.
    >
    > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the
    > 30th anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original
    > film will be released then?
    >
    > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.

    Nobody except Lucas knows the answer to this. I sure hope he comes to see
    the light by then, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. Pick up the
    current versions as placeholders until we find out - I wasn't going to get
    them either, but the image quality is pristine and well worth the price of
    admission. Just tell yourself that 90% of the movies remain intact, and
    that's a lot better than nothing. ;)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 6, 2004
  12. Fire3Sky

    Mike Kohary Guest

    SpiderManHouston wrote:
    > We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

    Don't tempt me. ;)

    Mike Kohary, Dec 6, 2004
  13. Fire3Sky

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Alan Figgatt wrote:

    > Personally I don't understand this obsession with the "original"
    > editions.

    You don't need to understand it, you just need to accept that it's highly
    desireable to many people. There's no need to judge it or try to convince
    these people that they're wrong (not that you did that, but these threads
    inevitably head in that direction).

    Maybe you had to grow up with them to truly understand, but having seen Star
    Wars literally a couple of hundred times since I was 8 years old, I find the
    new changes - even the smallest of them - incredibly distracting. They take
    me right out of the picture, no matter how many times I see them. I could
    write a whole book on why I hate the changes, but that's the nutshell
    version of the biggest point.

    The cleanups I'm fine with. There's nothing wrong with restoration work
    done on any picture. It's the revisions that irk a lot of people.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 6, 2004
  14. Sue <> wrote in news::

    > My guess is he'll release them in a 30th anniversary package in 2007,
    > along with the three changed original versions and the three prequels.

    You know, after all this hoopla, I really wouldn't mind waiting until
    2007 for them. All the hassle has given me a great deal of apathy toward
    movies I otherwise loved. I could wait, or watch them on laser, or
    whatever. Meh.

    Of course, if Lucas did just do the honorable thing and release the
    originals, I'd actually be enthusiastic about buying both the originals
    and the Super-Special-Editions.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 6, 2004
  15. Fire3Sky

    Alan Figgatt Guest

    Bill wrote:
    >> Of course, in a few years with improving CGI technology, we may see
    >>yet a Real Special Edition 3.0 release with Jar-Jar placed into each of 3
    >>original movies or Mark Hamill digitally replaced with an even more wooden
    >>actor than Hayden Christensen. Perish the thought!
    >>
    >> Alan Figgatt

    > Jar-Jar is already in the new version of "Return of the Jedi"--well, at
    > least what appears to be his voice is there. During the closing celebration
    > scenes, if you listen closely while the camera pans one city, there is
    > someone in the background who sounds a lot like Jar-Jar screaming,
    > "We's-a-free!!!!"
    >
    > Someone else pointed this out in another posting on this newsgroup shortly
    > after the release of the DVD set--it's indeed there, for better or worse.

    I forgot to list that one. That one falls into category of a
    stupid/silly change, maybe worse than messing with the Greedo and Hans
    Solo shootout in Episode IV. Just say no to Jar-Jar...

    Alan Figgatt

    Alan Figgatt, Dec 6, 2004
  16. Fire3Sky

    Sue Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote:
    > Alan Figgatt wrote:
    >
    >> Personally I don't understand this obsession with the "original"
    >>editions.

    > You don't need to understand it, you just need to accept that it's highly
    > desireable to many people. There's no need to judge it or try to convince
    > these people that they're wrong (not that you did that, but these threads
    > inevitably head in that direction).
    >
    > Maybe you had to grow up with them to truly understand, but having seen Star
    > Wars literally a couple of hundred times since I was 8 years old, I find the
    > new changes - even the smallest of them - incredibly distracting. They take
    > me right out of the picture, no matter how many times I see them. I could
    > write a whole book on why I hate the changes, but that's the nutshell
    > version of the biggest point.
    >
    > The cleanups I'm fine with. There's nothing wrong with restoration work
    > done on any picture. It's the revisions that irk a lot of people.

    Well said! That's pretty much it for me, too. I can't describe it,
    exactly, except to say that the

    new versions-which do look great-are not the same as the movies that
    were released in 1977,1980 and 1983.

    Yes, the plot's the same and most of the acting and effects are the
    same, but many of the small touches that

    made them 'of their time' and special to me have been erased. When I see
    the original version of 'Star Wars', I can get that nostalgic feeling

    that it's 1977 again and enjoy the memories of seeing it for the first
    time that summer. I can't do that with the new version-there

    are too many changes that scream '2004' and pull me right out of the
    experience. and many of the 1977 elements that made it a movie of its
    time-that help me connect

    it to my childhood- are gone. (the sideburns will always be there,
    though, I'm guessing! :) ). I *love* the cheesy, underdone

    special efffects, and the original cantine scene that Lucas hates so
    much; kind of ironic that he despises this scene now, but in

    1977 it was *the* big hit scene of the movie!

    Here's hoping he puts the originals out someday!

    Sue :)

    Sue, Dec 6, 2004
  17. >We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

    which will hopefully be sooner rather than later

    Vlvetmorning98, Dec 7, 2004
  18. Fire3Sky

    mycroft Guest

    "Fire3Sky" <> wrote in message
    >I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've
    >read,
    > Lucas won't release them.
    >
    > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
    > anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
    > released then?
    >
    > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
    >
    > Fire3Sky

    Check out Ebay. There's usually someone selling them there.

    mycroft, Dec 7, 2004
  19. Fire3Sky

    Omarichu Guest

    >You don't need to understand it, you just need to accept that it's highly
    >desireable to many people.

    Your spinelessness is hysterical but completely understandable given that your
    position is utterly indefensible. Anyone who would pass up the unsurpassed
    audiovisual quality and extras on the Star Wars DVD's is a complete fucking
    moron. Enjoy watching sorry-looking ten-year-old poorly dubbed laserdisc shit
    while the rest of Earth has moved on. If the billion dollars Lucas has made
    from this release didn't keep him warm at night, the thought of your bitterness
    eating you alive surely would.

    Omarichu, Dec 10, 2004
  20. Fire3Sky

    Guest

    >>In his mind, he'd be putting broken product back on the market<<
    Unfortunately, his mind is the only thing that's really broken.

    -Eric

    , Dec 10, 2004