    and manage a majority of the features of Win XP. So should I do go through
    the whole book or just do like the other guys which is just take measure up
    tests over and over and over until one gets over 90 percent?

    harythewho, Jul 23, 2005

  2. harythewho

    Debb Guest

    Oh dear Hary........

    Some questions in the test aren't even related to the MS Press Book
    contents, so expect the unexpected! The way you prepare for this is to read
    ALL of the material in detail, INCLUDING the recommended reading in the last
    few chapters of the book. The best way to avoid reading ALL of the material
    is to skim over what you THINK you already know, but take the time to at
    least make sure. There's always at least two or three ways to access and
    tweak just one particular setting. The question you need to be asking
    yourself is, which one will the test ask you to detail???? So while you know
    the tweaks, you may not know all of the alternatives.

    I have 5 years support desk experience (2 as manager), 3 years system
    builder experience, 15 years home user experience and I NEEDED to read that
    book from cover to cover in order to pass the exam! I didn't have any domain
    and very little network experience, so all that I know I learned from the
    book and recommended reading sources.

    While Microsoft are offering the 2nd chance tests (2ndFRE is the code used
    to rebook any exam you fail before 31st Aug, and want to retake before end
    September for no extra cost), you can simply take the test and if you fail,
    hell nothing lost because you get a second shot free. That will ultimately
    be the proof of whether you're as smart as you think you are ;-).

    My husband has a saying........ hire a teenager, while they know everything!
    Good luck because I think you're going to need it.

    DebB

    Debb, Jul 24, 2005

  3. harythewho

    harythewho Guest

    hmmmm... so overall I have to read every bit of the book right?

    harythewho, Jul 24, 2005
  4. harythewho

    harythewho Guest

    oh yeah... one more thing. How long did it take you to read and take notes on
    the whole book? It will be very helpful if you provide the info.

    harythewho, Jul 24, 2005
  5. If you already have a good basic knowledge of XP it seems stupid reading the
    whole book, but remind that there always might be something you didn't know
    in the chapters you think you know from practice. My advise for you is to
    read the whole book, but only concentrate and take notes about the things
    you didn't know.
    After that take some practice tests and figure out the areas you have
    problems with and read them again in the book.
    Remember that the idea behind the exams (for me although) is not just the
    paper or the title of MCDST but to really know what you do. To prove you
    know your stuff ...
    If you plan on taking any other exams after the MCDST it's important to get
    a studying strategy, cause for MCSA/MCSE exams it's best practice to read
    the whole book and everything they point out to in the book ... maybe even
    some extra papers/books.
    It's a state of mind!!

    Michel Vaillant, Jul 25, 2005
  6. harythewho

    RobinLKM Guest

    "harythewho" wrote:

    > hmmmm... so overall I have to read every bit of the book right?

    In my humble opinion, if you don't want to go through the whole book in
    detail, you can just viewing the topics. When you find something you don't
    know, you can read it in detail. This is my way of reading it.
    *I am also 15 years old :) mind to give me your MSN messenger account?

    RobinLKM, Jul 27, 2005
  7. harythewho

    Steveo Guest

    Maybe look at it another way: it's not only about passing the test. It's
    about learning everything you can. Read that book and find others to study
    also. I'm 40 years older than you and I study every day - there is so much
    to know in this business. This is a knowledge business.

    Steveo, Aug 3, 2005