Should I get a new video card ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Daniel, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hello,

    I'm currently running a WinXP Home system with the following hardware:

    AMD BARTON 2500+
    128MB nVidia GeForce Fx5200
    GIGABYTE MAINBOARD GA7VT600PL
    1024 DDR RAM
    80 GIG Western Digital Hard Disc @ 7200 RPM
    AOpen DVD recorder
    LG CDRW

    Taking into account all components, would I benefit from getting a better
    video card ? I play mostly Battlefield 1942 (pure) and find that my system
    does very well overall with the graphics but at certain times when the
    action is very busy with lots of online players and explosions, especially
    in Battle for Britain, that my display gets choppy, only to recover when the
    action ceases up a bit. Also, I can't run the Desert Combat mod nor then
    Battlefield Vietnam 'cause my system (or perhaps the video card?) can't keep
    up. First of all can I benefit significantly from upgrading my video card ?
    Second, which card would you suggest ? Please note that I don't have the
    money for top of the line cards and would only be comfortable with something
    more budget oriented. Is it realistic then to get a bump in graphic
    performace for relatively little money while keeping the rest of my hardware
    as is ? Actually my pc is fairly new so I'd prefer not to do a major
    upgrade.

    Thanks for your time and reply,

    Daniel
    Daniel, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Daniel

    Cyrus Guest

    Before upgrading your video card, tell us what kind of monitor you have? LCD
    OR CRT type.
    Hoping it is not LCD type. or if it is LCD type monitor Time Response S/B 8
    ms or lower for better quality picture for gaming.
    Hope this info helps
    Cyrus
    Cyrus, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Gazwad Guest

    Cyrus, <>, the turned out, sneering omelette, and officer of
    the Royal Stable who scrapes up horse manure, hectored:

    [...and find that my system does very well overall with the graphics but at
    certain times when the
    action is very busy with lots of online players and explosions, especially
    in Battle for Britain, that my display gets choppy]

    > Before upgrading your video card, tell us what kind of monitor you
    > have? LCD OR CRT type.
    > Hoping it is not LCD type. or if it is LCD type monitor Time Response
    > S/B 8 ms or lower for better quality picture for gaming.
    > Hope this info helps
    > Cyrus

    Please explain why his type of monitor is of consideration when he reports
    choppiness when the number of online players increases.

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Tainted chef's pubic hairs garnished with barbequed tapeworm wart and
    cockroach cyst extract microwaved with soured syphilis scabs and turnip
    vinegar, dished up in a wriggling bucket stuffed with medium cooked acorn,
    thin whole bologna and scraps of salami, melted cheese, a side of sweetbread
    and a bottle of Vietnamese snake wine.
    Gazwad, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Daniel

    Cyrus Guest

    > Please explain why his type of monitor is of consideration when he reports
    > choppiness when the number of online players increases.

    Forget the monitor and video card, I am not a PSYCHIC to know what kind of
    Internet connectivity He has.
    Is it 56K Win Modem, DSL or Cable Modem?
    Cyrus, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Cyrus, <>, the sottish, ill-composed heathen, and person who
    cuts and polishes coprolites for jewellery, sniggered:

    >> Please explain why his type of monitor is of consideration when he
    >> reports choppiness when the number of online players increases.

    > Forget the monitor and video card, I am not a PSYCHIC to know what
    > kind of Internet connectivity He has.
    > Is it 56K Win Modem, DSL or Cable Modem?

    The case rests.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Lord Gazwad of Grantham, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Daniel

    Plato Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > 128MB nVidia GeForce Fx5200
    > 1024 DDR RAM
    > 80 GIG Western Digital Hard Disc @ 7200 RPM
    >
    > Taking into account all components, would I benefit from getting a better
    > video card ? I play mostly Battlefield 1942 (pure) and find that my system

    I dont believe so. It sounds more like the bottleneck is the internet
    connection and/or the busyness of the site.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Cyrus" <> wrote in message

    >> Please explain why his type of monitor is of consideration when he
    >> reports
    >> choppiness when the number of online players increases.

    > Forget the monitor and video card, I am not a PSYCHIC to know what kind
    > of Internet connectivity He has.
    > Is it 56K Win Modem, DSL or Cable Modem?

    I have a CABLE modem.

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    Daniel, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    "Cyrus" <> wrote in message
    > Before upgrading your video card, tell us what kind of monitor you have?
    > LCD OR CRT type.
    > Hoping it is not LCD type. or if it is LCD type monitor Time Response S/B
    > 8 ms or lower for better quality picture for gaming.
    > Hope this info helps
    > Cyrus

    I have a traditional (CRT?) monitor. Not LCD though.

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    Daniel, Mar 16, 2005
  9. Daniel