Should I Get A Calibration System For My Monitor, My Printer Or Both?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Dalton, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Jim Dalton

    Jim Dalton Guest

    I just got my Epson 2200 printer and so far, so good.

    Now, I'm trying to get my prints as close as possible to what I am
    seeing on my monitor. I know I need to do a little calibrating, but
    what system should I be calibrating?

    Should it be my monitor, my printer or should I get a calibration
    system for my monitor and another for my printer?

    In looking around the web, I came across this website:
    http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/icc_color_management.html?E scstore

    Here they have the Spyder with OptiCal for Monitor Calibration as well
    as the PrintFIX Inkjet Printer Profiler.

    I will probably buy from B&H, but before I do, I want to get a little
    feedback from people on their own experiences and such.

    TIA

    Jim

    Jim Dalton, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Jim Dalton

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 17-Jul-2003, Jim Dalton <> wrote:

    > I just got my Epson 2200 printer and so far, so good.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to get my prints as close as possible to what I am
    > seeing on my monitor. I know I need to do a little calibrating, but
    > what system should I be calibrating?
    >
    > Should it be my monitor, my printer or should I get a calibration
    > system for my monitor and another for my printer?
    >
    > In looking around the web, I came across this website:
    > http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/icc_color_management.html?E scstore
    >
    > Here they have the Spyder with OptiCal for Monitor Calibration as well
    > as the PrintFIX Inkjet Printer Profiler.
    >
    > I will probably buy from B&H, but before I do, I want to get a little
    > feedback from people on their own experiences and such.

    I just ordered MonacOPTIX (spyder) and MonacoEZColor (software) which will
    build profiles for monitors (both CRT and LCD), printers and scanners. They
    have a promotion going with Epson where you get $150 off the bundle if you
    own or buy certain Epson printers (including the 2200). That brings the
    price down to $399.

    http://www.monacosys.com/solutions/desktop/index.html

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Jim Dalton

    Flycaster Guest

    "Jim Dalton" <> wrote in message
    > I just got my Epson 2200 printer and so far, so good.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to get my prints as close as possible to what I am
    > seeing on my monitor. I know I need to do a little calibrating, but
    > what system should I be calibrating?
    >
    > Should it be my monitor, my printer or should I get a calibration
    > system for my monitor and another for my printer?
    >
    > In looking around the web, I came across this website:

    http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/icc_color_management.html?E scstore

    > Here they have the Spyder with OptiCal for Monitor Calibration as well
    > as the PrintFIX Inkjet Printer Profiler.
    >
    > I will probably buy from B&H, but before I do, I want to get a little
    > feedback from people on their own experiences and such.

    I assume you're using CMS aware software, such as Photoshop or PS Elements?
    If not, profiles won't do you any good. As for profiling, you need a
    monitor calibration system that will calibrate and profile your monitor, and
    then you need profiles for each and every paper that you will use.

    The spyder and Optical package is a very good monitor calibration
    system...not as good as EyeOne, but then again it doesn't cost $600 either.
    ;)

    I can't speak for the PrintFIX Profiler since I use custom profiles. If
    you're only going to use 2 papers (say Epson Enhanced Matte, and a
    Glossy/Semi-Glossy paper of your choice - I'd personally recommend
    Pictorico), you're better off spending $200 for 2 custom profiles which will
    be *far* more accurate, and pocket the extra $100 that you'd have to spend
    for the Profiler package. Either that, or spend it on another stick of RAM.

    Just a thought.

    Flycaster, Jul 17, 2003
  4. "Jim Dalton" <> wrote in message
    > I just got my Epson 2200 printer and so far, so good.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to get my prints as close as possible to what I am
    > seeing on my monitor. I know I need to do a little calibrating, but
    > what system should I be calibrating?
    >
    > Should it be my monitor, my printer or should I get a calibration
    > system for my monitor and another for my printer?
    >
    > In looking around the web, I came across this website:

    http://www.imagingspectrum.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/icc_color_management.html?E scstore

    > Here they have the Spyder with OptiCal for Monitor Calibration as well
    > as the PrintFIX Inkjet Printer Profiler.
    >
    > I will probably buy from B&H, but before I do, I want to get a little
    > feedback from people on their own experiences and such.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jim

    Before you spend all that money and time, try the procedure at
    http://www.campratty.com/1faq/faqpages/b9a.html, with some fine tuning of
    your printer settings as necessary. (The procedure is written for Paint
    Shop Pro users, but it isn't hard to adapt it.)

    Nothing you do will ever make an image on paper look exactly like an image
    on a screen. What I aim for is to know that an image that looks right on a
    screen will look right when I print it.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 18, 2003