    I currently have a 15" monitor that came with my Dell, it is over a year
    old. I want a larger flat panel but should I go 17 or 19"? Why would a
    person need a 19", is there really any more benefit to going past 17?
    Tara Legale, Oct 28, 2007

  2. Tara Legale

    flambe Guest

    If you mean should you go from a 4:3 (standard) to 16:9 (wide) the answer is
    obviously: it depends.
    If you need to have more than one application window open at a time the
    wider panels are very useful.
    If you use applications like Photoshop where much of the screen real estate
    is otherwise filled with tool bars then the wider format panels are
    invaluable.
    If you mostly do word processing, E-mail and web surfing then the extra
    screen real estate will be wasted.
    A larger LCD screen does not necessarily mean that text and icons will look
    larger on screen. If the larger panel has a higher resolution than your
    older screen then text may actually appear smaller at native resolution
    (this can be fixed by changing settings in Windows).
    flambe, Oct 28, 2007

  3. Tara Legale

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Tara Legale" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have a 15" monitor that came with my Dell, it is over a year
    >old. I want a larger flat panel but should I go 17 or 19"? Why would a
    >person need a 19", is there really any more benefit to going past 17?

    When I bought this new desktop I did opt for a 19" and LOVE it. I no longer
    have to use my reading glasses to see any more. With a flat panel they take
    up so little space that's it's nice to have a bigger screen.
    Moderation is for monks."
    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Oct 28, 2007
  4. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:14:00 GMT, "Tara Legale"
    <> wrote:

    >I currently have a 15" monitor that came with my Dell, it is over a year
    >old. I want a larger flat panel but should I go 17 or 19"? Why would a
    >person need a 19", is there really any more benefit to going past 17?

    I have a 19" and it is amazing. Bigger is better.

    --
    Manuel Marino

    My Weblog / Music, Arts, People, Ideas
    http://www.manuelmarino.com
    Manuel Marino, Oct 29, 2007
  5. Tara Legale

    bob Guest

    get the 19. i had a 17 for 3 yrs, and wondered if i needed 19. now i have 19
    and would never even look at a 17! prices are close.

    bob

    bob, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Tara Legale

    Chet39 Guest

    It doesn't necessarily mean that everything just has to be bigger. A larger
    screen makes it easier when you want to have more than one window open at a
    time. As far as what YOU should do, you didn't even give a clue as to how
    you use your computer. If there is room on the desk, most people prefer the
    larger screen but that doesn't mean that YOU should buy one.

    Chet39, Oct 29, 2007
  7. Yes, get the 19. The cost up is insignificant, and you will like the space
    on the screen.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 29, 2007
  8. "flambe" <> wrote in message
    > If you mean should you go from a 4:3 (standard) to 16:9 (wide) the answer
    > is obviously: it depends.

    That was not the question at all. A larger screen set to a higher screen
    resolution will be easier to view than a small screen set to the same
    resolution, assuming it can be set that high. A 19" monitor on a 4:3 format
    set to 1024 x 768 is a much better viewing experience than a 15" set to 800
    x 600.

    If the question is, should I get a wide screen, then your points are useful
    considerations. Having said that, can a Dell running a 15" monitor support a
    wide screen format? I took a monitor back recently because the video card
    could not support the monitor.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 29, 2007
  9. "Tara Legale" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have a 15" monitor that came with my Dell, it is over a year
    >old. I want a larger flat panel but should I go 17 or 19"? Why would a
    >person need a 19", is there really any more benefit to going past 17?

    I have a 19 inch obviously it is just a magnified 17 inich, no more pixels
    just that bit easier to see stuff from a little futher away.
    Obviously it takes up a little more space and uses more a little more
    power, and cost a little more.
    It justs looks that bit more impressive, for usually less than a 10%
    increase in price.
    I went from 14" to 19" myself.
    However I was really looking for something with more pixels on I wanted
    1600X1200 but I get hold of one for a reasonable price.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 30, 2007
  10. Tara Legale

    Tara Legale Guest

    I'm the OP. I got a 19" monitor, and overall I like the bigger brighter
    images, but I wish the text would be a little larger too. No way to
    accomplish this?
    Tara Legale, Oct 30, 2007
  11. Tara Legale

    Paul Guest

    Tara Legale wrote:
    > I'm the OP. I got a 19" monitor, and overall I like the bigger brighter
    > images, but I wish the text would be a little larger too. No way to
    > accomplish this?

    Go to Control Panels and use the Display panel. When you see
    "Display Properties", click the "Settings" tab, then click the
    "Advanced" button. Under "General", there is a Font Size
    dialog, allowing you to use larger text.

    Depending on the version of Windows you use, changing the Font
    Size setting, can upset the appearance of dialog boxes. So experiment
    a little, and see if you like it.

    Paul
    Paul, Oct 31, 2007
  12. "Tara Legale" <> wrote in message
    > I'm the OP. I got a 19" monitor, and overall I like the bigger brighter
    > images, but I wish the text would be a little larger too. No way to
    > accomplish this?

    Actually you can have problems if you switched from a CRT to a LCD monitor
    especially with text if you have the wrong settings set.

    I had a major problem with firefox in which the fonts looked horrible, the
    solution
    was in control planel-display-appearance-effects then change the second box
    from
    standard to cleartype if it is not already set.
    This makes a huge difference to the clarity of text, much thicker clearer
    and richer,
    certainly, if you don't have it set you might not need to increase your font
    size at all.

    As Paul says you can have problems when you increase the font size, it can
    take a
    while to get everything looking right, I have found that before, so I left
    things as they
    were because I didn't have a problem with them.

    One thing I did find however was that the screen was very bright when it was
    mainly
    a white background. even with the monitor set to its lowest settings. Anyway
    I set the
    colour of the background white to be 'less white' in display properties
    appearance
    advanced item window colour.
    Obviously a bigger screen throws off more light and mine was almost twice
    the area
    and it used to hurt my eyes!! They do appaently fade a little over time, and
    the gathering
    dust helps too :O) Maybe mine was just adjusted too bright, or it was just
    that you have
    a lot more white space on the screen in OE in particular with the extra
    space.
    Other stuff like video does not look that bright really.

    The newer LCD monitors are a lot better/brighter than the old ones due to
    better
    technology. The downside of that is they now consume as much as, if not more
    power than the equivilant CRT, so they are not as 'green' as I thought
    anymore.

    One other funny thing is that however big the monitor you can only see so
    much
    of it at the same time. Still I am more than happy with mine, especially as
    I have the
    cleartype thing set now, it's a lot easier to read.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  13. Tara Legale

    Tara Legale Guest

    That makes the text larger within windows only... I should have been more
    clear, I actually meant I want the font size larger in IExplorer browser.
    When you change it in display, it has no effect on the browser text size.

    Tara Legale, Oct 31, 2007
  14. In IE select view - text size.
    Or you could try Mozilla FireFox which has a full selection of
    font sizes to choose from.
    Also meant to be more secure too, I have switched to it now
    as my default browser, there is not much difference between the too
    really.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Nov 1, 2007
  15. Tara Legale

    Paul Guest

    Tara Legale wrote:
    > That makes the text larger within windows only... I should have been more
    > clear, I actually meant I want the font size larger in IExplorer browser.
    > When you change it in display, it has no effect on the browser text size.

    http://www.uwec.edu/help/Internet/font-ie6.htm

    "Changing Text Size for Viewing Web Pages

    You can increase or decrease the font size at which web pages are displayed
    in Internet Explorer. A larger font size may make pages easier to read or a
    smaller font size may allow you to view more of a page at one time.

    1. From the View menu, select Text Size » desired display size
    The text size is changed.

    In Firefox (my main browser), I hold down the control key, then use
    my mouse scroll wheel, to change font size. It allows instant magnification,
    for my poor eyesight. The only time I use IE6 on a regular basis,
    is for Windows Update.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 1, 2007
  16. Firefox is a variation on Netscape. I used Firefox for a few weeks and had
    to abandon it because there was something I do and the site does not support
    Netscape. I can't remember the details, but Firefox presented a problem for
    me that could not be resolved. I had to unload it and revert to IE.

    TO THE OP
    You can buy a larger monitor and set the resolution to a lower setting than
    it is capable of supporting. this will give you the larger images without
    sacraficing WYSIWYG stuff that you like. If you set the resolution lower
    than the monitor can support, your eintire experience will be larger on the
    screen. You can also set the screen resolution as specified, then alter the
    Zoom Settings in Word so the image is bigger.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 1, 2007
  17. "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fgbdeb$366$...
    > Tara Legale wrote:
    >> That makes the text larger within windows only... I should have been
    >> more clear, I actually meant I want the font size larger in IExplorer
    >> browser. When you change it in display, it has no effect on the browser
    >> text size.

    > http://www.uwec.edu/help/Internet/font-ie6.htm
    >
    > "Changing Text Size for Viewing Web Pages
    >
    > You can increase or decrease the font size at which web pages are
    > displayed
    > in Internet Explorer. A larger font size may make pages easier to read
    > or a
    > smaller font size may allow you to view more of a page at one time.
    >
    > 1. From the View menu, select Text Size » desired display size
    > The text size is changed.
    >
    > In Firefox (my main browser), I hold down the control key, then use
    > my mouse scroll wheel, to change font size. It allows instant
    > magnification,
    > for my poor eyesight. The only time I use IE6 on a regular basis,
    > is for Windows Update.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    All of that is true, EXCEPT that the person that wrote the Webpage can over
    ride these settings and define the viewing experience in his or her HTML
    code. This technique works much of the time, but it will not work in every
    instance.

    I once worked for a company that used IE as the interface for our product
    set. Our stuff appeared to the user as a Website, but we had things that we
    wanted to be absolutely certain would be displayed, so we defined the Text
    and Image Size in our code. Basically, our code told your installation of IE
    to ignore the settings you had made, and use our setting instead. Any
    Website designer can do the same thing. Do they bother? I can't say. But, if
    they do bother, there is nothing you can do, EXCEPT change the screen
    resolution to lower settings so the images take more real estate on the
    screen.
    Jeff Strickland, Nov 1, 2007
  18. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Firefox is a variation on Netscape. I used Firefox for a few weeks and had
    > to abandon it because there was something I do and the site does not
    > support Netscape. I can't remember the details, but Firefox presented a
    > problem for me that could not be resolved. I had to unload it and revert
    > to IE.

    You don't have to unload it I can run both side by side.

    I have had no unresoolvable probs with FF so far, now I have cleartype
    set (fonts looked bad, are fine now).
    I hear it is more secure.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Nov 1, 2007
  19. Tara Legale

    JANA Guest

    I found that 19 to 20 inches to be the best. With a high resolution, you can
    put many windows on the screen at the same time. The pictures are also
    sharper, larger, and easier to look at. As for myself, I have a 20 inch LCD
    panel.

    --

    JANA
    _____