    now??

    Thanks,

    James

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Aug 8, 2005

  2. I think you need to have latest Service Pack for SQL 2000, Visual Studio
    ..2003 works, VMWare, latest version from the company works, Terminal
    Services - I don't know, XML Spy - I don't know. I at least recommend you
    get a 64 bit enabled machine, its cheaper and you will be able to migrate
    when the time is right. You can also try do dual boot configuration between
    both operating systems. Just download the XP Pro x64 trial and install it on
    another partition.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Oooh, tough question. Normally, when someone says " I don't really want to
    have to mess around getting stuff to work, I
    > need it to just install and run well" my answer would be -- 32-bit. But
    > you're a developer -- and you definitely should be dealing with and
    > developing with x64 in mind. On the specifics:

    IIS, SQL Server, VMWare, Terminal Services all work. Visual Studio works.
    Sourcesafe -- nothing I know about it gives me any reason to think it
    wouldn't, since it doesn't do a system level driver. XMLSpy? No clue.

    Here's what _won't_ work:
    * software that needs a system level driver (AV, defrag, etc.)
    * Explorer extensions (they're 32-bit DLLs, and you can't load a 32-bit DLL
    from a 64-bit process). So right click context menu stuff won't work. But
    there are workarounds.
    * 16-bit and DOS programs
    * Any 32-bit program that has a 16bit installer.
    * Hardware that needs a 64-bit driver

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 8, 2005
  4. I am thinking the best option would be to get the machine with XP pro 64, and
    should anything essential not work, create a virtual machine (does virtual pc
    work?) running a 32 bit version of windows and run it from there... anyone
    see any major difficulties with this?

    Thanks for your responses,

    James

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=, Aug 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    James Park Guest

    Well, Virtual PC does not yet work with x64, and you'll need to sign up for
    the beta program for Virtual Server 2005 SP1 if you want to use that avenue.
    VMWare Workstation works fine though.

    James Park, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Virutal Server SP1 (in public beta) works fine. Or VMWare, I'm told.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Download Virtual Server 2005 SP1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx

    Remember, its beta:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 8, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

    Goody2shoe Guest

    Re: Should I get 64 or 32 bit windows - Get both

    If you want to count on your new machine to work whenever you need it, dual
    boot is the only guaranteed way. Issues with 64bit could carry over into the
    virtual machine. Being able to run XP 32bit in it's own installation will
    ensure you can do anything you can currently do in XP.
    =========================

    "James" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    I am buying a new machine at the moment which has 64 bit support. I dont
    know whether to get XP pro 64 or stick with the 32 bit version for now, as I

    Goody2shoe, Aug 8, 2005
  9. Re: Should I get 64 or 32 bit windows - Get both

    Its the smoothest experience you will get running it on its own partition
    and it makes the transition and fall back to 32 bit Windows easier. You can
    even share the same Program Files x86 folders between both operating
    systems.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 9, 2005
  10. James,

    I am in the same line of work as you and had a similar dilemma as you are
    going through. When I buy a new machine (every 2 years), it normally takes a
    week to transfer all my applications, tools, projects, etc. to the new
    machine (evenings and weekends). When I opted to go with x64, it took a solid
    month. Plenty of things didn't work, and I had to spend additional money to
    upgrade software or find alternates for relatively simple software, such as
    anti-virus.

    Microsoft development platforms work on x64 without a hitch.

    I concur with the other folks, but the x64 hardware but stick with 32-bit
    for now. Too much of a hassle...

    =?Utf-8?B?TG9naWtvcw==?=, Aug 9, 2005