    Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    Cheers!
    GoFlatty, Jul 21, 2007

  2. GoFlatty

    Pete D Guest

    "GoFlatty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    Perhaps a new scanner is in order? What res can you scan at? I have a Canon
    8400F and that does a nice scan.
    Pete D, Jul 21, 2007

  3. GoFlatty

    Matt Ion Guest

    GoFlatty wrote:
    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    Only you can really decide whether you're ready to retire the SLR. It
    really depends on whether the Powershot fits all your needs, and whether
    you can do without the additional control and flexibility offered by an
    SLR... now and in the future (if you, for example, determine next month
    that you need a wider lens than either now provides).

    If you have the space, I'd say take the SLR along on the trip, and see
    if you can do with NOT using it. If the Powershot handles everything
    you need it to, then you can probably put the SLR away in a closet. If
    you find you're pulling the Nikon out because you just can't pull off
    some shots on the digital... well, there's your answer - you still need
    the SLR's features and functions, in which case I'd say picking up a
    suitable Nikon dSLR to go with your existing lenses is the best
    "upgrade" path.
    Matt Ion, Jul 21, 2007
  4. GoFlatty

    Mike Russell Guest

    "GoFlatty" <> wrote in message
    >I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    Go with a new digital Nikon SLR, and never look back. The free film alone
    is a great selling point, and an invitation to experiment and learn more
    than you would with film. Check that that the new camera is compatible with
    your old lenses' autofocus. You may need to go to a D80 if the lens
    requires that the focus motor be in the camera.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jul 21, 2007
  5. On Jul 20, 7:13 pm, GoFlatty <> wrote:
    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    My wife bought a new film Nikon a few years ago. A year later we
    bought a D50. We kept the N75, considering it as a backup camera.
    So far we have not used it since we bought the D50 (we subsequently
    bought a digital P&S as a backup). So we are faced with the same
    question. So far our reasoning is that we will not get much selling
    the N75, so we are still keeping it, just in case there is ever some
    reason why we must shoot something with film.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
    []
    > My wife bought a new film Nikon a few years ago. A year later we
    > bought a D50. We kept the N75, considering it as a backup camera.
    > So far we have not used it since we bought the D50 (we subsequently
    > bought a digital P&S as a backup). So we are faced with the same
    > question. So far our reasoning is that we will not get much selling
    > the N75, so we are still keeping it, just in case there is ever some
    > reason why we must shoot something with film.

    I sold my old 35mm Nikon kit - it hadn't been used since I went digital
    ten years ago. I would like to think it went to a good home, but no-one
    wanted to buy it so I just sold to a shop. Projector, enlarger, the whole
    lot.

    Be sure the batteries are removed from stored kit.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 21, 2007
  7. On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 -0000, GoFlatty <>
    wrote:

    >I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    >my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    >lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    >very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    >don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    >Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    >shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    >Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    >invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    >Cheers!

    It's been a couple of years since my (film) Nikons got any use.

    I scanned a few thousand frames of 35 mm in my day, but there's
    no good reason to continue shooting 35 mm. IMO, YMMV, etc.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Jul 21, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    Raphael Bustin <> wrote:
    >I scanned a few thousand frames of 35 mm in my day, but there's
    >no good reason to continue shooting 35 mm. IMO, YMMV, etc.

    For me, it's the only way I can use my lenses with a pleasant
    user-interface :)

    Philip Homburg, Jul 21, 2007
  9. GoFlatty

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 -0000, GoFlatty wrote:

    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???

    I'd recommend getting a new Nikon body and taking it along with
    the Powershot, but only if you have enough time to get accustomed to
    using it before the trip. Otherwise use the Powershot as the main
    camera and the F50 for shots that the Powershot may not do as good a
    job as the F50. I also used Nikon film bodies for many years before
    getting some Powershots (S10 and S20) seven years ago. The S20 was
    good enough to retire the Nikons. Last year I got a Powershot A620,
    which I'm pleased to say has been an excellent little camera. But
    this March I finally broke down and got my first DSLR, the last of
    the few remaining D50s. Now I'm using all of my old Nikkor lenses
    once again. :)

    There's no contest though - the D50 is a much more capable camera
    than the A620, although they both have their advantages. Nikon's
    inexpensive 55-200mm VR lens is not just a bargain, it's a pretty
    good lens too, reputedly much better optically that the older non-VR
    version. I'll have to test it soon to see if my old 75-300mm Nikkor
    has any significant advantages on the long end of the zoom range.
    As much as I like the 55-200mm VR lens, I can see why Nikon's
    18-200mm VR lens has been so popular. If your wife has also been
    using the Nikon film camera(s), maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to
    get a DSLR and share the three between you and your wife - the SLR,
    the DSLR and the A640. Personally, I have no desire to ever use any
    old Nikon film SLR again. Not because of the SLRs themselves. I
    just don't want to have to put up with getting scratched negatives
    from photo labs, nor risk the possibility of lost negatives. As I
    was waiting for prints churning out of the photo processor, the
    woman next to me asked the person waiting on her if they'd lose her
    negatives again. When it comes to evaluating film SLRs vs DSLRs,
    the negatives are clearly with the film SLRs(p.i.) both figuratively
    and literally. :)
    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2007
  10. GoFlatty

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:13:23 +0000, GoFlatty wrote:

    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    I haven't retired mine. IMHO film and digital each have their place.
    ray, Jul 22, 2007
  11. GoFlatty

    Scott W Guest

    GoFlatty wrote:
    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    Get a Nikon DSLR, you will love it. In fact get two, one for you and
    one for your wife. My wife and I each have a Canon DSLR body and then
    we share the lenses, works great.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jul 22, 2007
  12. GoFlatty

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    GoFlatty <> wrote:

    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    I'd think carefully if I were you.

    Film is rather expensive and so you tend to make every shot count. Many
    snappers (sorry, photographers!) buy a whiz bang digital SLR then
    proceed to fire off 20,000 pictures a year machine-gun fashion at
    anything and everything that moves then have the gall to boast about it.
    99% of what they take is never viewed a 2nd time, but of course is duly
    backed up on CDRs.

    Stick with the Powershot until you find it's limitations to be
    unacceptable.

    I'm sure the weight and bulk difference between the F50 and the
    Powershot has made you more likely to pick up a camera for short or long
    trips away from home.
    Stewy, Jul 22, 2007
  13. GoFlatty

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:27:56 +0900, Stewy stewed:

    > Film is rather expensive and so you tend to make every shot count. Many
    > snappers (sorry, photographers!) buy a whiz bang digital SLR then
    > proceed to fire off 20,000 pictures a year machine-gun fashion at
    > anything and everything that moves then have the gall to boast about it.
    > 99% of what they take is never viewed a 2nd time, but of course is duly
    > backed up on CDRs.

    Hey, you're pretty good at making up imaginary straw men. Do you
    actually know any like that? I don't.

    > Stick with the Powershot until you find it's limitations to be
    > unacceptable.

    It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable. I
    still like my Powershot very much, but use it only where its
    limitations won't get in the way of getting the shots that I want.
    For those that have never used DSLRs, if your advice influences them
    to avoid getting and using one, you will have done them a great
    disservice.
    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2007
  14. GoFlatty wrote:
    > I travel regularly and have up until last year been very content with
    > my trusty old Nikon F50 (with tamron 28-200 lens or Nikon 70-300
    > lens). Earlier this year I bought a Canon PowerShot A640 which I'm
    > very pleased with. I do scan prints from my SLR for posting etc. but I
    > don't think the final digital quality is as good as those from the
    > Powershot. My wife and I will be doing the Country Roads of B, S & A
    > shortly and I'm in somewhat of a dilemma. Should I just go with the
    > Powershot, take both of my cameras or do as someone said recently -
    > invest in a new Nikon digital body for use with my lens. Any advice???
    > Cheers!

    The A640 is an excellent camera, and so lightweight and easy to carry
    around. Good results as well. However, it lacks at the wide-angle end
    (only going as wide as 35mm), and it has less zoom range than you enjoy
    with your 200mm and 300mm lenses.

    However, if you get a Nikon DSLR the effective focal length of the lenses
    is multiplied by 1.5, so your 28mm becomes 42mm "field of view", and
    doesn't help get wider-angle shots than the A640. The lenses do, of
    course, help at the telephoto end, but you can now get lighter-weight
    lenses and image-stabilisation (which Nikon calls VR), so you might look
    at the Nikon D40 or D40X body, with the kit 18 - 55mm lens, and the 55 -
    200mm VR lens. This provides a coverage equivalent to 27 - 300mm lenses.
    Nikon also offer an 18 - 200mm VR zoom, which is an ideal single
    walk-round lens, but it's not cheap. The DSLR responds more quickly,
    which may be important for shots of animals or children.

    If you are taking a lot of indoor, lower-light-level shots, the DSLR can
    be run at ISO 800 - 1600 while showing much less noise (grain) than the
    A640. If most of your shots are outdoors, the A640 may suffice. The
    other thing which the A640 can do (and no DSLR so far) is to make short
    movies. Have you tried the movie mode yet? I find that a short 5 - 15s
    movie can add a lot to capturing the atmosphere of a place, whilst also
    using the stills for the bulk of the shots.

    So I'm thinking that if you did go DSLR you might want new lenses as well,
    making the whole package more expensive. But if telephoto is your thing,
    it would be a good choice.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 22, 2007
  15. ASAAR wrote:
    []
    > It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    > DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable.

    []

    What limitations are unacceptable to you?

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 22, 2007
  16. GoFlatty

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:06:06 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    >> DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable.

    > []
    >
    > What limitations are unacceptable to you?

    You can't think of any, or do you just automatically avoid using
    your P&S for shots it doesn't do particularly well? One big one is
    focusing accuracy. Some shots I took last month of small flowers
    with the P&S has excellent detail, but a good number of them were
    focused on the wrong things. Shots with stems and leaves quite
    sharp, but the intended flower out of focus, the bee on it rendered
    as bokeh. In contrast, the only problem I had with the DSLR several
    days ago capturing bumblebees on flowers was getting the right part
    of the bee in focus due to shallow DOF when I chose to use large
    apertures. That was easily solved (if the AF didn't get exactly
    what I wanted) by moving the camera a fraction of an inch while
    prefocused. The effect was *very* clearly seen in the viewfinder.
    Another benefit of the DSLR was that it was able to use faster
    shutter speeds than the P&S cameras, stopping the movement of
    flowers in windy conditions that would have produced unacceptable
    blurs with the P&S cameras.

    Another type of shot that the P&S's didn't manage as well were
    those of skittish small birds on a lawn, never staying put for more
    than 2 or 3 seconds before quickly running to new positions several
    feet away. The cameras just weren't quick enough to get more than a
    small fraction of the shots with the bird still in the frame. The
    DSLR used for similar shots had a much higher fraction of keepers.

    Two years ago I ended up with some horrendously focused pictures
    of squirrels. The manual mentioned several things that the camera
    would have trouble focusing upon. Fur was one of them*. I haven't
    tried squirrel shots yet with the D50, but I'm sure it will succeed
    where the P&S failed.

    There are many types of shots that P&S cameras handle very well,
    but it's undeniable that some types of shots are a little beyond
    their capabilities. And I didn't even mention the nemesis of most
    P&S cameras, handheld high ISO low light shots. :)

    * This was actually mentioned in the Fuji manual, not the Powershot
    manual. But both have similar focusing limitations. The A620
    manual says this :

    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2007
  17. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:06:06 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >>> It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    >>> DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable.

    >> []
    >>
    >> What limitations are unacceptable to you?

    > You can't think of any, or do you just automatically avoid using
    > your P&S for shots it doesn't do particularly well?

    Thanks for your answer. I was genuinely interested to know where someone
    who has used both types of camera felt the strengths and weaknesses were
    for their own photography. I haven't had both DSLR and small-sensor
    cameras in my bag at the same time, or attempted to any side-by-side
    comparisons. I have seen the gains of the DSLR in low-light conditions,
    but equally I have found small-sensor cameras respond fast enough for many
    of the subjects I take (Formula 1 motor racing cars yes, but no children
    or animals).

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 22, 2007
  18. GoFlatty

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:56:07 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    : ASAAR wrote:
    : > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:06:06 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    : >
    : >>> It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    : >>> DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable.
    : >> []
    : >>
    :
    : Thanks for your answer. I was genuinely interested to know where someone
    : who has used both types of camera felt the strengths and weaknesses were
    : for their own photography. I haven't had both DSLR and small-sensor
    : cameras in my bag at the same time, or attempted to any side-by-side
    : comparisons. I have seen the gains of the DSLR in low-light conditions,
    : but equally I have found small-sensor cameras respond fast enough for many
    : of the subjects I take (Formula 1 motor racing cars yes, but no children
    : or animals).

    The operative words are "no children". My wife and I bought Powershots (good
    ones: an S50 and a G5) a few years ago. We got them because they were cheaper
    than SLRs and, more importantly, small enough that we thought we'd carry them
    places where we might not take an SLR. We got some very nice pictures, but
    eventually the slow focussing and shutter lag while trying to photograph our
    grandchildren nearly drove us both mad. The matched pair of 400Ds we bought
    last fall have solved those problems and restored our sanity. And I've just
    finished assembling what I consider to be a sensible collection of affordable
    lenses(*). We've still got the Powershots, but we don't use them much.

    (*): For each camera: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 (no kit lenses)
    To share: Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro

    P.S.: I'm told that more recent Powershots focus faster and have less shutter
    lag. But we're not photographic newbies (we both used Nikon film SLRs), and I
    think we made the right decision.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 22, 2007
  19. On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:57:28 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:27:56 +0900, Stewy stewed:

    > It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    >DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable. I
    >still like my Powershot very much, but use it only where its
    >limitations won't get in the way of getting the shots that I want.
    >For those that have never used DSLRs, if your advice influences them
    >to avoid getting and using one, you will have done them a great
    >disservice.

    Horses for courses and all that.

    Any way you slice it, an SLR is heavier and larger than a
    P&S (say, in the Canon A620 category.)

    I do a fair amount of long-distance backcountry hiking,
    where every gram counts. For that, it's the A620, not
    the SLR.

    For a day hike or a simple overnight hike, I'd consider
    the SLR. Truth be known, the A620 is nearly 12 oz. and
    I've considered downgrading to a camera that's closer
    to the 5 oz range.

    The other consideration is that the small camera can
    be carried in a pouch on a shoulder strap of the pack,
    so that it's always accessible. The SLR would be
    unwieldy, and would have to be carried either inside
    the pack or at the very least in an outside pocket.

    FWIW, here's an A620 image taken on the final
    descent of my last long hike on the Appalachian
    Trail... the view is looking straight down the trail,
    toward the Lehigh River in Pennsylvania.

    <http://www.terrapinphoto.com/lehigh.jpg>

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Jul 22, 2007
  20. GoFlatty

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:48:49 -0400, Raphael Bustin wrote:

    >> It should take only a few minutes using a DSLR (virtually *any*
    >> DSLR) to discover Powershot limitations that are unacceptable. I
    >> still like my Powershot very much, but use it only where its
    >> limitations won't get in the way of getting the shots that I want.
    >> For those that have never used DSLRs, if your advice influences them
    >> to avoid getting and using one, you will have done them a great
    >> disservice.

    > Horses for courses and all that.
    >
    > Any way you slice it, an SLR is heavier and larger than a
    > P&S (say, in the Canon A620 category.)
    >
    > I do a fair amount of long-distance backcountry hiking,
    > where every gram counts. For that, it's the A620, not
    > the SLR.
    >
    > For a day hike or a simple overnight hike, I'd consider
    > the SLR. Truth be known, the A620 is nearly 12 oz. and
    > I've considered downgrading to a camera that's closer
    > to the 5 oz range.
    >
    > The other consideration is that the small camera can
    > be carried in a pouch on a shoulder strap of the pack,
    > so that it's always accessible. The SLR would be
    > unwieldy, and would have to be carried either inside
    > the pack or at the very least in an outside pocket.

    I completely agree, and in fact my most recent Powershot is the
    A620, which goes many places I wouldn't consider bringing my D50.
    The D50 was chosen in large part since it was the smallest and
    lightest of Nikon's DSLRs still available when the D40 was
    introduced. I would have preferred the D40, but I chose the D50 for
    its better compatibility with my old, hibernating Nikkor lenses.
    The A620, six years more recent than my S10 and S20 Powershots, far
    surpasses them in features, image quality, and battery longevity,
    yet cost about 1/3 the price. It'll be interesting to see how the
    A620 compares with 2012 model Powershots. :)

    > FWIW, here's an A620 image taken on the final
    > descent of my last long hike on the Appalachian
    > Trail... the view is looking straight down the trail,
    > toward the Lehigh River in Pennsylvania.
    >
    > <http://www.terrapinphoto.com/lehigh.jpg>

    Very nice, but can you upload the full, original image? I can't
    quite make out the numbers on the auto license plates. <g>
    ASAAR, Jul 22, 2007